SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#319320 - 03/15/11 09:19 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I enjoy continually seeking out new song material, or polishing up & recycling & perhaps re-inventing established repertoire. This may include trying out new styles (often of a totally unexpected genre-groove) or working out different more interesting chord changes, or working out new soloing ideas.

I find new ideas by listening to as many 'different versions' of a given song as I can find on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, and internet radio stations. I typically distill and develop my own version from these. I can usually find most lyrics online and then compare this with the heard recorded versions. Chords are often included with online lyrics so this gives me a 'starting point' to go by for the chord progression I may decide to play. I then sit down at the keyboard in pianist mode and play along with the different recorded versions heard to pick up essential 'hook lines and/or riffs', and then determine what arranger style best suited for my rendition. Once I find the appropriate arr style, I create a lyrics and chords text file (.txt) to display on my Tyros 4 LCD screen. I then work out a Tyros 4 arrangement (voice selection, style variation/fill changes, vocal harm. settings, etc, and save these to regs 1-8), and get this memorized & ready for gig performance. I try to devote a few hours a week doing this and find it very rewarding as it keeps my show repertoire fresh, interesting, and inspiring for both myself and my audiences. cool

#319339 - 03/15/11 12:46 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Scottyee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Our 'family room' is 'walk-in from the garage ... When not on agig my gear is totally set up, including speakers so I can blast if I want to ... the PC and tv are also in this room so if my wife is on the PC the volume gets lowered and if she is watching tv the headphones get plugged in ... when we were thinking of moving a couple of years ago, where the 'gear' was going to be set up was a big concern ... at my age I don't want to be hauling gear up and down basement steps ...

Edited by tony mads usa (03/15/11 12:50 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#319344 - 03/15/11 01:20 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Oh, almost forgot the OP question "Where does everyone practice"? In my music studio. Where's that? My living room. cool

#319366 - 03/15/11 02:56 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
"Where does everyone practice"? In my house! There's something to play in almost EVERY room!

#319370 - 03/15/11 03:05 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I keep a guitar beside my chair in the living room, so I can strum some.
DonM

#319375 - 03/15/11 03:35 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have my "Music room"..(home studio)..I spend all my hours that I am awake here...Keyboards, PC's TV's, snacks, bathroom...

The rest of my house ...family can use....5 bedrooms, 2 full baths, rec room, living room, kitchen, and dining room...just leave me in my music room.. smile

#319435 - 03/16/11 08:47 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: captain Russ]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
We have 5 bedrooms and are empty nesters. I commandered one bedroom for the music/computer room.

Tom

Tom

#319437 - 03/16/11 09:04 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Fran Carango]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
That's funny Fran, they are probably going to bury me in my music room as well. I even lost the Garage to my 25 yo son! It's all I have left!!! LOL

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#319445 - 03/16/11 10:23 AM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: kbrkr]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My long-time friend and music store owner, Carl (Carl's Music) would drive all over town blowing on the mouthpiece from his trumpet. Don't understand exactly what he was doing, but he sure was persistent. Sadly, he passed away several years ago, and his kids ran the business he spent a lifetime building into the ground.

Russ

#319465 - 03/16/11 02:10 PM Re: So where does everyone practice? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
We have 5 bedrooms and are empty nesters. I commandered one bedroom for the music/computer room.

Tom

I'm moving to Mich. and into one of Tom's bedrooms. It is too difficult to practice in my FL condo. And they won't let me practice at Cracker Barrel anymore.
woot
Eddie

Edited by btweengigs (03/16/11 02:12 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online