SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#320071 - 03/24/11 04:47 PM Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey what's up folks.., today I got my hands on a MINT condition PSR-S700 for an amazing price. Gotta say that I'm very impressed with Yamaha's more recent models. I know the S700 isn't the latest.., but wow this keyboard sounds really good.

I'd toss up a review.., but that's probably pointless considering it has already been replaced by the S-770.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#320073 - 03/24/11 05:02 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
good stuff Squeak!!

Hey who cares if its a superseded model or not, I purchased a Korg PA500 last weekend and wrote a review up for it.

You can get some good keyboards for good prices these days smile

get it midi'd up to your Juno Di smile

Nick

#320076 - 03/24/11 05:27 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations, Squeak!

Hey, that keyboard isn't THAT old! Definitely lots of great sounds, and fine styles, and a nice saving of money, especially if you don't have need of the vocal harmonizer stuff that's on the 900 series.

Have fun.

Ian

#320078 - 03/24/11 06:05 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Ian ,

Do you have any idea if Yamaha will be releasing a newer TOTL PSR model this year ?

Thanks smile

Gary

#320079 - 03/24/11 06:31 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
ianmcnll Offline

Gary, they're not telling me anything so far, so I can only guess, like the rest of the SZ'ers.

If we go by the Tyros3 and the next new PSR, it was a year...so maybe it will be the same for Tyros4 and the next PSR.

The new PSR and CVP are usually launched at the same time.

I'm wondering if Japan's current troubles will affect any release times...you never know.

Ian

#320084 - 03/24/11 07:28 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Squeak,

I would be interested in a mini review. I'm sure others would be too. Is it comparable, or better than any of those Casio's you raved about?

Does the S700 have direct to wave recording?

Have fun with your 'new' board

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#320085 - 03/24/11 07:36 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Enjoy your psr 700. I would love to hear your review. I've been thinking trying to find a used yamaha psr 700/900 or korg pa 500.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320094 - 03/24/11 08:56 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Enjoy your psr 700. I would love to hear your review. I've been thinking trying to find a used yamaha psr 700/900 or korg pa 500.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/320086/My_thoughts_on_the_PSR_S700#Post320086

#320095 - 03/24/11 09:07 PM Re: Got a PSR S-700 today!!!!!! [Re: squeak_D]
ianmcnll Offline

Just to save you guys from linking...here's an earlier (and quite good) review of the PSR-S700 by Squeak below:

Originally Posted By: squeak_D
I figure.., what heck.., I'll give a quick review on my impressions of the PSR-S700 thus far. I've been at this board for hours now, and feel comfortable sharing some opinions at this point

Design: Love the design. Very sleek looking. Looks much more professional than previous models (would love to see these babies in black though.., maybe the new models will be....)

I'm VERY pleased to see buttons that are not painted (Yay Yamaha!)

Panel Layout: As usual (with Yamaha arrangers) the panel layout IMO is very good. I think Yamaha has always had a very good layout with many of the controls in the right places for easy and quick access.

Build quality: I have to say that I'm actually quite pleased in this area. In a time where other makers are really starting to go completely sh--ty with the construction.., Yamaha seems to keep building them a little better than the previous models. My only gripe is the same old pitch/mod wheels they're still using.

**As much as I like Roland.., I gotta give them a big fattie middle finger on the construction of their recent lower line models. I had my Juno-Di for just a year and had to send it back for a warranty repair**

Sounds: Gotta hand it to Yamaha. These newer/more recent PSR's are getting better. In general I have to say that the sounds are quite good. Of course there are a few duds (but that's with any keyboard today).

An area I think Yamaha really needs to be commended here is that they "actually listened" to consumers regarding the drums on the PSR line. They're not top notch.., but WOW.., there are some pretty darn good acoustic kits on the S-700. What's impressive is to finally see Yamaha using more velocity switched samples too. Even the dance kit is improved.

Styles: The styles are done very well. Naturally (with Yamaha) you get more of the CD quality styles (you either like them or you hate them I guess). I think they did a good job covering a wide range of genres. The more modern styles are certainly closer to today's music than previous models. It's obvious Yammie spent a little extra time in that area.

Speakers: I think the speaker system is very good. I'm surprised at how much bass comes out of this thing.

Again.., overall I'm very impressed with the S-700. This weekend I'll be digging into the style creator and start writing some modern styles from scratch.

I gotta say that this arranger is an absolute breeze to operate. I've yet to crack the manual. I've dug rather deep into the editing menus on this thing today. Created and saved numerous patches.., already figured out the style creator and sequencer. Just a darn ass easy keyboard to use smile

If you can find one used for a reasonable price.., I say go for it. It's well worth it. After this weekend I'll put up a more detailed review (I want to spend some more time within the editing menus to see how much juice I can squeeze from this thing).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online