SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#319725 - 03/20/11 07:15 PM My PA500 Review so far...
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
On the weekend I purchased a brand new PA500 for $1500.00 AUD.
It is the standard non-local model.

Regarding the Keybed – I heard a few mixed rumours regarding the size of the keys and the quality of the keyfeel so this is my experience so far:
The keybed seems to be exactly the same as the PA800 without the aftertouch.

I have measured the length and width of the keys on the PA500 and compared with my Motif XF.
I can confirm that the keys are 100% identical in size.

The operating system –
Seems to have everything the PA 800 has in terms of functionality.
All editing features / MIDI controls / sequencing and keyboard setup is identical to the PA 800/2X

Monochrome Screen –
Its crystal clear! The PA800 and 2X do have colour screens but in all honestly Korg has a very “technical layout” in a sense that its not flashy and as graphical as the Tyros and keyboards like the Technics KN 6 or7 series.

Having a monochrome screen over colour in the PA series is NOT a substantial drawback at all – it does what it is supposed to do.
There has not been one point yet where ive though “I wish this screen was colour”.

Buttons –
So the PA 500 has rubber buttons where the PA 800 and 2X have plastic ones.
Don’t let this throw you off – they do not in any way feel “toyish or cheap”.

I did say a while back that the PSR S series keyboards have rubber buttons and I hated them but the buttons on the PA 500 are much nicer to use.
They are smaller and smoother and they don’t move around too much when you press them and they actually have a nice click to them.

I much prefer them over the PSR rubber buttons – I honestly prefer them over the PA 800 hard plastic buttons.

Styles –
Mostly all the same as the PA 800/2X.
I have been spending time re voicing and editing styles for my own music – I don’t really use styles straight from out of the box without customising them.
All styles from the PA2X and PA1x import straight across without any issues.

Overall Sound -
Firstly – I cannot notice any difference at all between the overall sound to the PA800/2X.
I am running the keyboard through my Logtic Z2300 system at the moment.
I have noticed u need to turn the volume a lot higher on the Logitech system than normal but it’s still easy to get your desirable volume without any distortion at all.

Samples –
It has the goods in this department.
It do miss some of the RX voices that are on the PA 800 like the strings and some of the solo instruments but when you look at the price and for what the PA 500 has it is definitely still a winner.
I am not just covering up because it’s a “cheap” keyboard – don’t get me wrong – there is a lot of room for improvement but the sounds are still way good enough on the PA 500 to make professional quality music and to play live.

Drum Kits -
I LOVE the drum kits!!
In all honesty I prefer these drum kits over a lot of the ones in the Motif XF for my music.
To my ears they are more crisp and better balanced.

I love the feature how u can edit the volume of different elements in a drum kit on the fly (Snares / Kick / Hi Hats etc)

More to come,
I will have some demos soon to post up.

Nick

#319727 - 03/20/11 08:21 PM Re: My PA500 Review so far... [Re: Nick G]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Nick G

Regarding the Keybed – I heard a few mixed rumours regarding the size of the keys and the quality of the keyfeel so this is my experience so far:
The keybed seems to be exactly the same as the PA800 without the aftertouch.

I have measured the length and width of the keys on the PA500 and compared with my Motif XF.
I can confirm that the keys are 100% identical in size.

Great little review Nick...the only thing I would qualify is that re the keybed, they were not rumours, but individal personal opinions on keyfeel and size. And we all know keyfeel is VERY subjective!!!

I for one never said they sounded bad at all, just that the PA500 had 40 less voices (oscillators)....and a few less "goodies"

It is really good you are enjoying the drums. The Korgs do seem to have the edge within the arranger genre. Mind, I only said the edge, laugh

I also happen to feel the Motif keybeds are too short as well wink jmo! Not including the 88's

Can't wait for some demos....

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts so far.

Dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online