SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#318827 - 03/09/11 07:03 PM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: miden]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I, too am a great fan of the MPP, but anyone selling the MPP today should make it clear there is limited tech support, so, for me, $500 is too much!

Being nervous about it's remaining life I have been researching options. I am pleased with the latest release of MusicReader; it still has some bugs but I've used it on 2 gigs without problem.

As for platform I was planning on buying the Asus EP 121, 12 inch lightweight slate, but have been resizing my music (mostly lead sheets) in Sibelius to get the best output for the iPad.

The clincher was finding the xClip iPad holder on the Air Turn site. Combined with a gooseneck and short mic stand it brings the iPad over the keyboard, some 6" closer than if you put the iPad on the keyboard music stand.

Early days with this setup, but so far so good. Out again tomorrow.

#318832 - 03/09/11 08:11 PM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks guys....I guess I did the right thing by not jumping on it.

Steve, I didn't know it doesn't do PDF's. I scanned most of my music as PDF's and they're sitting on my hard drive. I wanted to use it, not for the stage, but for memorizing songs and referring to them when I forget them...and also to keep on top of where my songs are.

Scott, I would guess that it IS outdated or it wouldn't be on sale. That's a great pitch you have for the iPad. I'm going to keep my eye on that and also sit in the corner and wait to see what comes out this year.

Dennis...I forgot about the battery factor and the lack of tech support Graham mentioned.

Thanks guys for saving me $529.99

Mark

#318851 - 03/09/11 10:38 PM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: miden]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Battery life is also a BIG issue, even with all the new alternate brand tablets being released this year.

The BEST you will get is around 6 hours, and thats in low power mode.

Somehow Apple have this battery life nailed totally.

I can confirm (from my own testing) that I can get 10 hours and 36 minutes from a full cycle charge on my iPad. That is with the display set at approx 75% brightness. To be honest, anymore than that and you would need sunnies!!! But all else is running normally.

I did not use the audio output (I, like Scott, use it only for lead sheets, cheat cards etc). So if running the audio, you would probably get a little less battery time, but as I did not test I cannot say.

But it has to be said that on the alt tablets the 6hour time would also be reduced should the user be running audio as well.

Dennis

Dennis,

You are right about the MPP battery life it's crap, much less than you think, more like less than one hour, HOWEVER when the battery goes on the IPAD try openening it up to put a new one in Ha Ha bloody Ha, not defending the MPP because I am not happy mine is at the menders.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#318883 - 03/10/11 09:57 AM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mind you, in the big picture, battery life isn't REALLY an issue, unless your arranger and PA are all battery powered and you play in a field..! wink

#318889 - 03/10/11 10:22 AM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
Mind you, in the big picture, battery life isn't REALLY an issue, unless your arranger and PA are all battery powered and you play in a field..! wink

Err, in the field of tablets, yes it is.. a MAJOR issue!!

#318952 - 03/11/11 02:01 AM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

But on a gig, you got power. If that's what you primarily use it for (what other use has an MPP?) where's the problem?

Or did you think I was talking about the iPad or other tablets?

#319002 - 03/11/11 10:43 AM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Diki this thread IS about tablets. What do you think the MPP is???

A plasma TV?

And with ALL tablets, battery life is probably the biggest single major issue.

You do like to get off on tangents don't you wink

This thread has NOTHING to do with keyboard or PA gear!!

Dennis

#319006 - 03/11/11 11:33 AM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Diki
But on a gig, you got power. If that's what you primarily use it for (what other use has an MPP?) where's the problem?
Though I concur that there's typically already power required for the rest of your rig at most gig venues, I really appreciate not having to drag along yet another power cord around to gigs. The iPad can run up to 10 hours on a battery charge. Without a power cord attached, the iPad can conveniently sit anywhere and be easily moved about on stage without distraction. With my Tyros 4, I leave it sitting next to me, and then quicked grab it with one hand and leaned in front of my Tyros 4 LCD screen when needed, and then just as quickly remove it, when not required. All this time, the audience doesn't notice the iPad, because its not in the audience line of sight, and partly because theres no power cord attached to it to call attention to it. The MPP, laptop, or even a netbook, don't offer this kind of on stage convenience, lighweight flexibility, device size discetion, or the level of outdoor viewability the iPad offers. JMO as I own(ed) all four. cool

#319011 - 03/11/11 12:59 PM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

I agree completely (mind you, OP is 'Music Pad Pro deal' and previous post only mentioned MPP, so I thought I was being clear)... however, especially for us more elderly, not so good eyesight types confused2 there are advantages to something a bit bigger than an iPad.

If your PRIMARY reason is reading charts, the power supply is a small price to pay, IMO.

#319037 - 03/11/11 05:41 PM Re: Music Pad Pro Deal [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Well the question was asked about the advantages of the MPP over the iPad and other devices, so I guess us "oldies with the poor eyesight" can read a bit better than you think wink

Battery life is certainly one advantage.....

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online