SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#317300 - 02/22/11 07:34 AM Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
"Empire State of Mind" : keys

#317321 - 02/22/11 09:53 AM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Very Good

But for €99 you can add this to your keyboard http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/alicias-keys/

Bill

#317351 - 02/22/11 02:55 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with how abruptly the timbre changes going from f to ff? It seems to be very hard to avoid it sounding like you are going more from f to fff(f!) than f to ff, IMO.

It turns what is probably pretty good technique (from what I heard) into something that sounds like they have little dynamic control at the upper end of the range, and unpredictable notes just 'pop' out wildly, from time to time.

JMO, as usual...

#317359 - 02/22/11 03:28 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Diki]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I really want to give my opinion on this but I am afraid same will happen as yesterday.

#317360 - 02/22/11 03:30 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Seems a little bright to me...but it might just be my setup.

#317366 - 02/22/11 03:40 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: FransN
I really want to give my opinion on this but I am afraid same will happen as yesterday.

Ha ha...but, you were naughty yesterday, Frans, and you misquoted another poster...

Nothing wrong with giving your opinion, as long as it is your opinion, based on what you heard.

Regarding the demo, I thought the piano, like most arranger pianos, to be a little thin from mid to top, and, I suspect it is the SA Concert Grand, a T4 piano I'm not fond of...I prefer the Live! Grand Piano which has much more body and works very well for Pop music....with a little brightness rolled off on the filter settings, it also sounds great for Jazz.

I thought the dynamics were fine...it's the overall sound that just doesn't do it for me.

Ian

#317371 - 02/22/11 03:53 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: FransN]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: FransN

Yeah, as long as you don't say that I said it sucks, you are good to go!

Maybe I'm spoiled with the G70's main piano, Ian, but I haven't found any need to change EQ for different musics at all. The darn thing seems to KNOW what I need..! Main thing is, staying warm and detailed and still up front at lower velocities, especially in the middle of the piano and upper middle (so hard to find a good warm mid-section) but bringing in the brightness and attack smoothly as you play harder.

Most digital pianos I play (and this isn't just Yamaha's, but most of them including many Roland sets), you play softly in the middle of the piano, and it sounds more like the piano is being played ALMOST the same strength as a hair louder, but the piano got pushed away from you ten feet or so. That GrandX on the G70 seems to stay right in your face, but just get buttery smooth...

This, and the action that makes it controllable (and big enough for most piano gigs) is one of the primary reasons I HAVE to stay with the G70. You always find that ONE piano in your life (real piano, that is) that is your soulmate, and no other pianos quite ever stack up as well. In digital piano terms, this one is mine..! bow

#317381 - 02/22/11 04:14 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki

[Maybe I'm spoiled with the G70's main piano, Ian, but I haven't found any need to change EQ for different musics at all. You always find that ONE piano in your life (real piano, that is) that is your soulmate, and no other pianos quite ever stack up as well. In digital piano terms, this one is mine..! bow

That's great Diki...I thought the G-70's piano sound was pretty good too.

I like changing the "filter setting" not the EQ....I also enjoy using the Live! Grand Piano for jazz unaltered (depending on the tune), but, sometimes I want it more rounded, yet still have the same dynamic response.

It's like having two favorite acoustic grand pianos, and being able to bring both to the gig.

Ian

#317384 - 02/22/11 04:25 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Acoustic Piano sample preferences are so down to very personal taste, but we all
at least seem to agree for once on this one. Not my preferred piano voice either.
Then again, I've got a 7' Steinway Grand Piano, so a bit biased. laugh

PS: I often like to 'layer' the Concert Grand with the Live! Grand.

#317391 - 02/22/11 04:46 PM Re: Tyros 4 Acoustic Piano: Alicia Keys Tune [Re: Scottyee]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
You think were picky about pianos...did you ever see the 1 hour special on PBS called 'One key at a time' ??
That was super...takes a year to build a Steinway, and top level concert pianist come to the showroom in New York to play ALL of the ones they have..before picking one to play at a concert that week (1 night rental).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online