SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#319019 - 03/11/11 01:31 PM Tyros 2 faulty front panel USB port repair
Messcar Offline

Loc: England
I left a USB stick in the front USB port of my Tyros 2, and after a period of time the USB port failed, the moral is do not leave a stick in place, but remove it after use. You can purchase a new USB Circuit Board from Yamaha UK telephone 01908 369261 they are extreemly helpful, the circuit board is listed under part number 6015 and item number 156779-001 WE81750OR, the cost is £10.91 plus handling £3. To take the Tyros 2 apart turn the Tyros 2 upside down and remove all the screws situated around the outside of the case, then remove the screws 7 in all, situated deep in the centre of the base, carefully turn the Tyros 2 back onto it's base, and then carefully lift off the top cover, sliding it slightly forward to clear the piano keys, then lift the front and carefully place it upside down on over the base section. you have now exposed the ineer workings of the Tyros 2 to enable you to carry out any repairs.

#319257 - 03/14/11 04:10 PM Re: Tyros 2 faulty front panel USB port repair [Re: Messcar]
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Wow, I never heard that leaving a USB sitchk in the keyboard could harm it. Normally I take the USB out for practical reasons. But when the power is off, while you leave the stick inwhat can happen.

Regards, Fred

#319692 - 03/20/11 10:32 AM Re: Tyros 2 faulty front panel USB port repair [Re: fmlk]
Messcar Offline

Well it came as quitre a shock to me when I removed the USB stick after it had been left in for a number of weeks, I came to re-insert it and got a message on the screen i.e. "USB device not recognised" !!!, I tried the same USB stick in the rear USB Port and it worked fine i.e "USB Device detected", so clearly a problem had developed with the front USB port. I contacted Yamaha Tecdhnical Support by phone and they were very helpful, I tried to reset the USB Ports with thier help but to no avail, it was then that they suggested that the USB Jack or small motherboard which the USB Jack is soldered onto was faulty, so I ordered another complete unit as above and fitted it, and now it's all working fine. The moral of my experience is do not leave the USB device in all the time as it may cause the mother board to fail as in my case.

#319696 - 03/20/11 10:40 AM Re: Tyros 2 faulty front panel USB port repair [Re: Messcar]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Messcar
I contacted Yamaha Tecdhnical Support by phone and they were very helpful, I tried to reset the USB Ports with thier help but to no avail, it was then that they suggested that the USB Jack or small motherboard which the USB Jack is soldered onto was faulty, so I ordered another complete unit as above and fitted it, and now it's all working fine. The moral of my experience is do not leave the USB device in all the time as it may cause the mother board to fail as in my case.

I hear you that Tech support gave you advice and a solution but did they also acknowledge that leaving the USB stick in there could cause this problem. If it is true then Yamaha should, for sure, give a strong warning to that effect and even put a little decal or "not" symbol next to the USB jack to warn people. It would be very easy to leave the stick in there. I leave USB sticks in my computer, often for extended periods of weeks. That's why I question whether that indeed is the cause or if it's just a coincidence.

Edited by Hal2001 (03/20/11 10:41 AM)

#319705 - 03/20/11 01:34 PM Re: Tyros 2 faulty front panel USB port repair [Re: Hal2001]
Messcar Offline

:)I can't say for absolute certainty that leaving the USB stick in place was the prime cause of the USB port failure, but I can see no other reason why it should have failed. I will certainly not do it again considering the work involved, and would advise any one else to remove the stick after use. Memory sticks have a much higher failure rate than Hard Disc Drives and are not as robust as people think, err on the safe side and remove the USB stick after use and save yourself the work involved, that's if you are competent enough to carry out the work involved. Happy Playing and not repairing. computer

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online