SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31800 - 12/18/99 07:36 AM Transpose X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

Loc: Rotterdam, NL
How do I transpose a midifile without getting the keyboard (right hand) transposed also.

I tried F3 in the Song play mode which says Keyboardtranspose off, but still he transposes the right hand. I also tried the transpose function in the disk utilities, but brings the same problem.
Any suggestions?

#31801 - 12/18/99 10:05 PM Re: Transpose X1
DannyUK Offline

Dave,

Your method is the only way I have found thus far also. And also like you, I transpose the tracks as required, i find that easier.

But what I am having trouble with is getting the bass hold when styles are not in motion. i can get the bass to sound whilst a style is off along with a lower sound, but i cannot keep the bass on continously, eg, ala I30. I tried using the sustain but it sounds awful. Any ideas?

Danny (UK)

#31802 - 12/19/99 11:40 AM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Danny,
I'm leaving right now for my 10th Christmas Party in a row (four more to go.) I'm getting Christmas Party burn-out.
I will make it a point to use some sequences and try to transpose them. Like Dave, I seem to remember a way to do this, but I don't have a need to do it much.
Will post if I find a solution.
Don

#31803 - 12/20/99 12:47 PM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

This thing is really strange. You can transpose the midi file just fine, but the keyboard doesn't change. In other words, if the song is in Bb, and you transpose it up 2,the song plays in C, but you must play in Bb to play with it,
If you transpose the Keyboard by changing that setting, the song reverts to the original key and the Keyboard changes. In other words you can do either, but not both.
Unless you do it like the others said and transpose the whole keyboard before you go into playback mode.
Very strange. I'm glad I play most of it live.
Wish I could help, but it seems this may take a software fix.
Don

#31804 - 12/20/99 12:54 PM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

This thing is very strange. You can transpose the song to any key, and the keyboard remains in the original key. In other words, if the song is in Bb, you can transpose it up 2, but to play along with it, you must play in Bb. If you transpose the keyboard using the setting for that function, the song reverts back to the original key.
You can do either but not both, unless you transpose before entering the song play mode, like Dave said.
Very strange. I'm glad I play most everything live. Still, if you have a guest vocalist that needs the song in a different key it would be nice to be able to change both settings.
Wish I could help, but this seems to call for a software fix.
Don

#31805 - 12/20/99 01:15 PM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

I'm going to try once more to reply to this again.
I can get the song to transpose and the keyboard stay the same, or the keyboard to transpose and the song stay the same, but not both. Unless you traspose before entering Song Play mode, as Dave suggested.
Very strange, I'm glad I play most everything live.
Don

#31806 - 12/20/99 11:01 PM Re: Transpose X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

Hi guys,

thanks for so much response. But I see you also don't have a solution for the transpose funktion (malfunktion?). I have big difficulties in playing a song in a key that is not sounding due to my perfect pitch.
I always have to play the keyboard in the key the song is sounding. But how do I transpose a midifile if it is in the wrong key for singing it?

Keytranspose off shifts also the Keyboard(contradictory, right?)
and keytranspose on shifts only the keyboard.

Disk utilities-transpose transposes basically only the song but as global transpose, that means that later in song play mode the keyboard is also shifted. How silly!

That looks like a major bug in the OS.
There should be an option to select between global transpose and song transpose.

WHo can forward my (our?) request to Solton?

Merry Christmas to all of you

Marc

#31807 - 12/20/99 11:01 PM Re: Transpose X1
Marc Bischoff Offline

Hi guys,

thanks for so much response. But I see you also don't have a solution for the transpose funktion (malfunktion?). I have big difficulties in playing a song in a key that is not sounding due to my perfect pitch.
I always have to play the keyboard in the key the song is sounding. But how do I transpose a midifile if it is in the wrong key for singing it?

Keytranspose off shifts also the Keyboard(contradictory, right?)
and keytranspose on shifts only the keyboard.

Disk utilities-transpose transposes basically only the song but as global transpose, that means that later in song play mode the keyboard is also shifted. How silly!

That looks like a major bug in the OS.
There should be an option to select between global transpose and song transpose.

WHo can forward my (our?) request to Solton?

Merry Christmas to all of you

Marc

#31808 - 12/21/99 06:58 AM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

Well, I see all my attempts to respond finally showed up at the same time!
Dave, when I transpose the song the keys DON'T transpose, unless I do it before entering song mode. Is this consistant with the way everyone's works?
Don

#31809 - 12/21/99 10:54 AM Re: Transpose X1
DonM Offline

O.K. I was getting the same results, just thinking in the wrong key.
I have a friend with perfect pitch, but mine is extremely imperfect. However I do prefer to play in certain keys. More correctly, I prefer to NOT play in certain keys.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online