SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317956 - 03/01/11 12:41 PM Do you have a 'back-up plan?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Being 'shut down' for two weeks with this eye thing got me to thinking ... Lord knows just about all of us here have played gigs suffering with a cold or flu, or some other malady - I've often had to work through an excruciating migraine headache - but I can count on one hand the number of gigs I've had to miss due to illness, surgery, whatever ...
Now that I am 'semi-retired' it isn't so critical, but I was wondering about all of you who play gigs everyday, often more than one a day ... Do you have a 'back-up' plan in the event of some unfortunate, unforeseen incident that suddenly 'shuts you down' for any length of time?
Just wondering ...

#317957 - 03/01/11 12:57 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
Tony Hughes Offline

Tony.

No problem I was born in June I am a Gemini, there are two of me, when ones had it the other one just kicks in.
Get well soon.
Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#317962 - 03/01/11 01:33 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I did have one, HankB, but he died. Now I just don't get sick.
DonM

#317963 - 03/01/11 01:46 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My adjustments were:

* Stop playing bass-one of my great joys.
* Re-learn guitar and change the intensity. Play guitar singles, instead of being a sideman.
* Play more arranger jobs to let the left hand rest.
* Switch from hard-line jazz keys to dinner/society keys; again to let the left hand heal.

Total cost to "adjust" to the new physical reality: about 100 jobs @ $300 per job, or $30,000.00.

Hey, Quincy Jones had to quit plying horn after a serious brain aneurysm. I simply concentrate more on different kinds of jobs and more film production.

At least I'm still working!

Russ (grateful) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (03/01/11 01:48 PM)

#317971 - 03/01/11 03:13 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I keep in close contact with about 5 OMB entertainers in my area, and while most are pretty busy, when one of us gets sick there is usually one of us that can fill in so the jobs are not lost altogether. I was supposed to have the day off, but about 11 a.m. a fellow entertainer's wife called and said he was having chest pains and was on his way the doctor. I was the first person she contacted, everything went smooth as silk, he's home taking it easy, and I made a few dollars today instead of sitting around the house.

If I really get sick, I'm gonna' call Don Mason, send him a plane ticket and put him to work. Susan will be glad to get rid of him, Carol will be glad to see him, and everyone other than the folks at Earnest's will be happier. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#317982 - 03/01/11 03:47 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

My fillins for that very unexpected gig problem is
Fran Carango & Kat & Uncle Dave.. smile... does it get any better?... Make sure your back ups are "better" then you.... wink

PS.. & I've done the same for them at the drop of a hat,
If I'm availabele....that's what friends are for cool2

#317991 - 03/01/11 04:22 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Awww........ thanx d!

#318006 - 03/01/11 05:08 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, I don't have to worry and it's not because I'm not vulnerable to getting sick. I just don't have enough gigs to worry about that computer

Besides with you and Mikey living just down road north and south from me, I know you or Mikey would cover for me.

#318021 - 03/01/11 07:13 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Awww........ thanx d!
wave clap

#318024 - 03/01/11 07:20 PM Re: Do you have a 'back-up plan? [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have taken off the winter months this year, as far as personal gigs are concerned, but when I was playing a lot of arranger gigs for dinners, and restaurant jobs, I have a friend who is a great arranger player that can fill in for me, or take jobs I don't have time to do.

He uses a PSR-9000pro and now, also a Tyros3...both were former demo keyboards of mine.

He also gets me to help him out as well.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online