SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#317278 - 02/21/11 11:16 PM Tyros 4 is it worth it?
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I have a s910
Is it worth the $ to upgrade to the 4?
I do not gig and use as studio only.

I guess the question is, is it worth 3,000 from the s910...

Asking you folks who got thr 4

Thanks for taking the time....

#317501 - 02/23/11 03:53 PM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it? [Re: beachbum]
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Musically, facility wise it certainly is worth having a Tyros 4. Money wise only you can answer. Probably the sensible course of action is to play and listen to one yourself (assuming available in a store).
I went for a Tyros 2 to a Tyros 4 and am happy I made the right decision.
Keith

#317589 - 02/24/11 03:51 PM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it? [Re: beachbum]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi,
I have the Tyros 4 and I am very happy to have it, I upgraded from my Tyros 3 and is HUGE the difference.
In your case, depends on your needs, if for your work in the studio could use the beautiful S.A.2 Sounds, the new Drum kits that have been implemented in some styles, perhaps yes.
I think you should go an check that yourself, since you are the only one that knows you precise needs.
There is a difference in the Needs and Wants....
Just my 2 cents.

Manuel

#318657 - 03/08/11 07:22 AM Re: Tyros 4 is it worth it? [Re: beachbum]
jingleman Online   content

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Beachbum:

I have been in your position so many times that I've lost count of the keyboard swaps and software additions made to accomplish what I thought would be my goal in creating the ultimate setup. I have been in the recording business for well over 30 years so I've been through the analog to digital technology revolution, and have suffered emotionally...physically...and financially along the way.

The advice you have received throughout this thread comes from gentleman who have a great deal of knowledge and experience with the current technology available today. But, after reading your last post, I get the feeling that your kind of unsure of your decision. So, I thought I'd throw a little of my experience in the pot to really mess you up. Actually, I hope it helps you to come to a clearer decision.

First off, what is your goal in creating your music? From what I remember...you write songs. Songs that are enjoyable to listen to and give you pleasure to produce. I always enjoy listeneing to them when you post them. I'm not sure...but I would guess that your a guitar player first and a keyboard player second. Therefore, depending on your keyboard playing abilities, the purchase of a sophisticated workstation such as the XF might turn out to be a frustrating experience.

I myself am a guitar player first and a keyboard player second. I have purchased just about every workstation invented from the Kurzweil K250 in 1986 to the Yamaha XS and Korg M50 last year. I have to admit while sitting behind the XS and playing chords...listening to those incredible arrpegiators flying around, I felt pretty powerful. But, at the end of the day...not one song came from all of my doodling. Some pretty cool ideas...yes. But, not one song.

As far as software goes...I have tried and own most of the DAW programs on the market. Are they a pain to learn?...yes. But, I have to keep reminding myself that they are replacing my old Ampex ATR 24 track analog recorder and 48 track MCI console. This makes my using Cubase more palatable and I've gotten more comfortable with it as times gone by. Although, I have to admit...Sonar X1 looks pretty tempting. But, there I go again...lusting after the newest craze.

The one thing I have learned through my journey...is to keep the shortest distance from what's in your head...to getting it to a finished product. To many hurdles along the way destroys the creative process. I think it was Diki that said it earlier...sometimes what might be best is just piano (guitar) and vocal (a good lyric) to get the job done.

I remember reading an interview in Mix magazine years ago about Nashville Producer Larry Butler (Kenny Rogers producer). He said that if the song is good...it can be recorded on a cassette deck. That helped me in keeping technology in perspective.

As for me. Today I sit here with my PSR-710, Cubase 5.5, Presonus Audiobox interface, and an AKG Perception 120 mic, and a few vst plugins to help sweeten up the 710 drums.

But, I have to admit that the Tyros 4 does sound pretty darn good. A little rich for my blood...maybe the next psr series.

But there I go again!

Good luck in your decision.
Jingleman

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online