SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#317565 - 02/24/11 12:20 PM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: leeboy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sadly, even Roland comes up WAY short in this area. Korg is far and away the leader at giving virtually WS level editing on arrangers. Mysteriously, it doesn't seem to put them out of business, and I would be unsurprised to find the large majority of users really don't USE that level of detail, but they still manage to sell quite well DESPITE this feature!

Something the other arranger manufacturers could learn from, I think!

As long as these parameters are tucked out of sight for the casual user, this could only improve sales for any arranger that implements it...

#317573 - 02/24/11 01:25 PM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Joesax
Diki:

I think you are right about Yamaha. While they do offer a lot of Voice and Style tweeking it is not to the detail level of Korg or Roland. Yamaha know their market and that feature, while of value to some, is not at the top of the enhancement list. Their basic MIDI implementation is in the same category.

Joe

Well said Joe...the biggest disasters usually originate from trying to please everybody.

It's no big secret that Yamaha's voice tweaking (editing) isn't to the level of some (Korg, for instance)...but, it works perfectly well for their market. Their people are more interested in great sounding,extremely expressive and playable voices, and brilliant styles, and perhaps, to a lesser extent, extra voices, rather than detailed tweaking to the nth degree.

Having the basic sounds already to a superb level of refinement, and the control over them working, again, for the intended user, also means less tweaking is ever needed.

Yamaha and Korg have been co-existing in this segment for a long time...I can't see either company changing what already works just fine for both.

Ian

#317582 - 02/24/11 02:31 PM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: leeboy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think the SA nuances CAN be assigned to foot switch on Yamaha. I don't have one right now, but I remember even on the S900 that you could put in a guitar knock or similar things with your foot.
DonM

#317584 - 02/24/11 02:44 PM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I think the SA nuances CAN be assigned to foot switch on Yamaha. I don't have one right now, but I remember even on the S900 that you could put in a guitar knock or similar things with your foot.
DonM

Correct, Don...SA Sax, for instance can have a breath noise and key noise assigned to pedals...SA Concert Guitar can have two types of body knocks.

SA2 Breathy Sax can use pedals for Bend Up/Down or Gliss Up/Down.

There are many other SA/SA2 pedal functions depending on the voice selected...too many to list here...for those interested, the online available manual gives lots of information.

Ian

#317661 - 02/25/11 11:04 AM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: leeboy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Shooting for BOTH markets without intimidating the current one ought to be doable, Ian. Like I said, HIDE the complicated stuff, but leave it in.

BASIC mode, and EXPERT...

Thing is, the parameter hooks are already in there.. How do you think they program the voices in the first place..? All that many more advanced users would like is some way to access them. Even if it's an external computer editor, it's better than nothing!

But hide it away from the noobs... wouldn't want to scare anyone!

#317664 - 02/25/11 11:32 AM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Shooting for BOTH markets without intimidating the current one ought to be doable, Ian. Like I said, HIDE the complicated stuff, but leave it in.

Doable Diki? Of course it is!

Gonna happen?

In my opinion, I don't think so.

But, anything is possible.

Ian

#317698 - 02/26/11 07:31 AM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Intersting as Korg does exactly that...there is an 'EASY' mode selection on the main upper menu box..it hides some of the more complex choices when playing the instrument.

#317707 - 02/26/11 10:12 AM Re: T4 owners...Is this factory sounds? [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Intersting as Korg does exactly that...there is an 'EASY' mode selection on the main upper menu box..it hides some of the more complex choices when playing the instrument.

I suppose that might be considered a good idea...it also reinforces the point that the PA3X (and the PA2Xpro) are basically home units with some "pro" (or, perhaps a better word would be "advanced') features.

I'm dubious about the single finger chord option featured on these arrangers as being for "pro" (or "advanced") users...why is it included if these are "pro" instruments?

What "pro" (or "advanced") player would use one-finger chording?

Also, and again, in my opinion, if you have to have a reason to "hide" complex features, the basic ergonomics of the panel weren't that great to start with.

Ian

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online