SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#31719 - 08/19/06 01:11 AM Styles editing on the Midjay
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I have just received my brand new Midjay and am really enjoying it; I am especially pleased that it can play all my old SD1 styles. However, when I try to edit a style, I am kind of disappointed that I can change almost all the parameters except "Drums 2" (the GRV file). Is there a way to make this parameter editable as well? There are 72 grooves in the Midjay and I think that it would be interesting to combine a style with a different groove that the one it was originally programmed with (like changing the Conga grv. in the "Soft Bossa" style with another of the percussion grooves).
Thanks!

#31720 - 08/19/06 04:04 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dreamer,
how do you find it compared to the sd1?
Do the sd1 styles require a lot of tweaking?

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreamer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31721 - 08/20/06 12:23 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
Dreamer Offline

Hi Rikki,
the SD1 styles play perfectly on the Midjay and almost no tweaking is required; I say "almost" because I don't like the choice of the programmers to set the "DX Rhodes" as the default sound for the left part of the keyboard, so I am forced to tweak at least that one sound.
Aside from this, all the styles play perfectly, but the same doesn't apply to older styles, like those from the MS series. While the SD1 had an utility to convert them, the Midjay lacks this one, so they are simply not usable. Pity...

#31722 - 08/20/06 01:45 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi Dreamer,

What OS is your Midjay? I am using OS 3.0 and I cannot save the edited style. In addition, I have upgraded to version 4.0 but still the same problem. Am I doing something wrong? The display shows the message that the style has been saved but actually, it does not.
Thanks!

#31723 - 08/20/06 02:57 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dreamer,
that's great the the styles don't need too much tweaking.

If you ever get stuck & need an MS style converted, let me know.

Do you actually use EMC styleworks??

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreamer:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31724 - 08/20/06 09:29 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
Dreamer Offline

Flavie,
I am using OS 4.0; saving a style can be a little complicated, but you have to be in the right directory and in the right menu (the one which shows the style running). If the style already exists in the hard disk, the Midjay will ask you if you are willing to overwrite it.
Another possibility for your problem could be that you have copied the styles from your computer and they are read-only files; if this is the case, you should connect the computer to the Midjay and in the "Properties" window) unmark the "read only" checkbox.
Hope this helps.

#31725 - 08/20/06 09:33 PM Re: Styles editing on the Midjay
Dreamer Offline

Rikki,
I have used a demo version of EMC Styleworks in the past but I was never satisfied with the results and this is true of all the converted styles, that take a lot of work (tweaking) to sound acceptable.
Thank you for your offer anyway: if I am in need, I will let you know.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online