SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#316510 - 02/14/11 06:57 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Hi Scott,

Just for the heck of it, tomorrow I'm going to hook up my Roland Bass Cube 100 amp and the Bose to L and R channels respectively on the Korg just to see how the split works. I like the idea of drum fills being spread out and flying back and forth, even though a real kit wouldn't be covering a distance of, say, ten feet across the kit. Maybe pad sounds will create a nice 'wash' of sound, too.

Edited for spelling error. They drive me nuts. smile

Edited by 124 (02/14/11 06:59 PM)

#316511 - 02/14/11 07:06 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I agree with Scott, 124...the Korg PA1Xpro is probably fine with mono...Yamaha's stereo samples do not collapse well to mono, in my experience.

I must say, I do appreciate playing in stereo, not just for the better reproduction of stereo samples, but also, as you mention, to have the drums move across the stereo field.

Effects based on stereo also sound better, especially chorus, delay and rotary speaker, to name a few.

With two Bose systems, the stereo sweet spot is huge.

Ian

#316516 - 02/14/11 07:52 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I played a Mardi Gras party Saturday night. There were about 275 people there and the two L1 compacts handled it nicely. That was about the limit though. It was a big place and I was pushing them.
DonM

If you needed more than the two compacts, what would you use? Do you still have the L1s? Would they do it? Single or double? If not L1, what?

My biggest job is about 300 ppl...and I have been using one L1 and a roland KC350 to augment and punch up the bottom a bit. A strange combo...but seems to work pretty well.

Eddie

#316525 - 02/14/11 11:09 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sold both the big L1s, BUT Semilive bought one of them, and I'm certain I can use it whenever I need it, since he borrowed it from me before he bought it! I have another friend that has two L1s, and HankB's wife, Linda, has Hank's Model two rig, so I am in good shape. It's great to have friends!
I think next year at this job, I will go bigger. I used the two big Lls, two years ago and they would have handled 600 people and never broke a sweat.
DonM

#316530 - 02/14/11 11:52 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: btweengigs]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The live rock band I play with once used to use 2 L1 systems. However we never used the L1 subwoofers. They were too underpowered for our needs. So we always used a JBL subwoofer with the L1s to provide the bottom end we needed.

#316575 - 02/15/11 01:48 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's fairly easy to check whether your arranger collapses well to mono...

Plug into a stereo PA (or home system) using two mono channels of a stereo mixer. Play the stereo sounds with the pans set to wide apart, and listen carefully, then pan them both to 12 o'clock. Do you notice a substantial change in the timbre? Does it get 'pinched' or 'phase-y'?

If so, then there are issues.

You might also notice that reverbs, choruses, and many stereo modulation effects change sound substantially when collapsed. Not too much you can do about this, but if you regularly play on BOTH mono and stereo setups (at different venues, for instance), you might want to doublecheck your Registrations, and perhaps make a duplicate set optimized for mono, which often involves raising reverb levels, and perhaps changing to mono sounds if the internal stereo ones don't collapse gracefully...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online