Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#316473 - 02/14/11 10:39 AM Bose L1 Compact Review
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#316476 - 02/14/11 11:17 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, they are great...you notice he/they auditioned a pair of them.

I found one Bose not very satisfactory...you need the pair to reproduce stereo pianos, effects like rotary speaker, cross delays etc.

I used a pair of the L1 Model I single bass systems for doing concerts...astonishing sound...high price...well worth it, in my opinion...you only should have to buy a PA system once.

The powered speakers (Yamaha MS60S) I use for restaurant gigs (and for home as well) are over 20 years old, and work just as good as the day I bought them...the Bose, considering their high quality, should do the same.

Arrangers are another matter.

Ian

#316477 - 02/14/11 11:35 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Leigh, aka sz member:(jazzhooves), many thanks for your review, especially realizing you initially inquired about the Bose L1 on this earlier thread.

From your review, I surmise you were utilizing 'two' L1 units for full stereo, not just one. Did you get a chance to test it out with your Tyros 4 going out to only 'one' L1 unit?

If so, did you detect any sound degradation (aka: stereo phase cancellation') playing Tyros 4 stereo sampled voices, such as the 'concert grand' piano?

As Ian mentioned, though two L1's together in stereo sound awesome, I too don't think a single L1 unit alone to be sound satisfactory with Yamaha keyboard 'stereo sampled' voices.

#316480 - 02/14/11 12:06 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played a Mardi Gras party Saturday night. There were about 275 people there and the two L1 compacts handled it nicely. That was about the limit though. It was a big place and I was pushing them.
DonM

#316487 - 02/14/11 12:40 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
jazzhooves Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello Guys,
Well firstly I'd like to say thank you to Bose UK for loaning the speakers to review, the guys were great!

Now, the speakers - simply put, awesome.
The sound is full, big and clear as a bell. You HAVE TO have two speakers. One sounded awful to my ears - they did say a lot of tyros 4 owners use just one, but i'd argue that one.
As a pair for £1840 they are just stunning, but expensive. They make the Tyros 4 sound completely different again. Only with the Bose do you realise how false the MS speakers sound.

Bose do one thing and one thing only - great sound, and they really are the dogs. They have offered to loan me a pair of the L1 MK II's with bass unit, but at the moment I have declined as I know what would happen - £5,500 later Id have a pair.
The compacts are good, but christ knows that the L1mkII will be just jaw droppingly amazing.

Glad you like the reviews - I am currently reviewing Sample Robot, Awave and will put a report up on the Fantom G6 also.
Lots more gear to review, including the KORG PA3X Pro which is supposedly on it's way to me.

Best wishes

Leigh
Jazzhooves.com
PS. This forum is much better, not the bitching or nasty crap that takes place on Yamaha and other forums.

#316492 - 02/14/11 01:17 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"glad you like the reviews . . .the KORG PA3X Pro is supposedly on it's way to me.
PS. This forum is much better, not the bitching or nasty crap that takes place on Yamaha and other forums."

Can't wait for the PA3X review. As to the bitching, just hang around, and then ignore it!!
DonM

#316499 - 02/14/11 02:54 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: jazzhooves]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: jazzhooves

PS. This forum is much better, not the bitching or nasty crap that takes place on Yamaha and other forums.

Hear, hear! clap

#316501 - 02/14/11 03:38 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: jazzhooves]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: jazzhooves

. You HAVE TO have two speakers. One sounded awful to my ears - they did say a lot of tyros 4 owners use just one, but i'd argue that one.
As a pair for £1840 they are just stunning, but expensive. They make the Tyros 4 sound completely different again. Only with the Bose do you realise how false the MS speakers sound.

The compacts are good, but christ knows that the L1mkII will be just jaw droppingly amazing.

This forum is much better, not the bitching or nasty crap that takes place on Yamaha and other forums.

I totally agree...one speaker simply does not work for me either...I used the L1 Model I system in pairs (stereo) at a theatre/concert gig (on a Tyros3), and the sound was excellent...earlier in the store, I had tried one L1 Model I speaker (and sub) and it didn't sound too hot at all...again, this was using a Tyros3.

I also tried the Bose Compacts on the Tyros3 in the store (actually, in the warehouse), both singly and in stereo...again, big difference. impressive in pairs...really awful using only one.

The L1 Model II's should be, as you say, "jaw-dropping"...the L1 Model I's were pretty much that way to my ears.

Yes, much less bitching here than other forums...this place has actually improved both in the look and also in the way people are interacting, and although, once in a while, it can get a bit dicey Nigel has usually reprimands the culprit(s) early on, and things settle down quite nicely.

I'm looking forward to your PA3XPro review; I have a few on-line buddies that are very interested in Korg's next top of the line instrument.

Ian

#316505 - 02/14/11 04:34 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

I'm using my Pa1XPro with an L1 II with the ToneMatch unit, plus a B1 sub. We (we're a duo) also run our vocals through it. It's night and day compared with our old Peavey mixer amp and two Fender cabinets. We don't have the necessary moolah for a second Bose yet, but hey I'm a happy camper as it is right now.

#316508 - 02/14/11 05:47 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact Review [Re: 124]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: 124
I'm using my Pa1XPro with an L1 II with the ToneMatch unit, plus a B1 sub. We don't have the necessary moolah for a second Bose yet, but hey I'm a happy camper as it is right now.
And I would be too. smile

I played a Korg PA800 thru a single L1 and it sounded great.
I suspect the Bose 'one unit' only problem only happens with Yamaha keyboards, and specifically with Yamaha 'stereo sampled' voices. Anybody care to chime in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online