SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#316330 - 02/13/11 10:39 AM Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever?
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I think Tyros 4 and PA3 are the strangest products in arranger history.
It is 2011. How is it possible with a TOTL arranger that has only 128 poly and only 4 real time parts? Something is seriously wrong here.
Absolute minimum acceptable real time parts are 3 Right, 2 Left and 1 Manual Bass but 8 to 10 real time part would be more reasonable.
At 2011 anything less than 256 poly is beyond surprise. Just plain strange.
I'll pass this generation also.

#316336 - 02/13/11 11:23 AM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: tonkan]
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I hear you, but I've never had a problem with polyphony. Generally speaking, if you are having a polyphony problem, it means your arrangement if probably too full (dirty and muddy) -- that's been my experience. My theory in mixing is less is better since it brings better clarity and punch. I've also never needed to layer more than three sounds. If you have three sounds and you don't like the way it sounds, the solution is generally to change those three sounds -- not add to them.

Out of curiosity, please tell me an example of how you would layer 10 real time parts.

#316337 - 02/13/11 11:26 AM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: tonkan]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Some people are never satisfied shocked

#316355 - 02/13/11 02:09 PM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: FransN]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: FransN

So tell us about your NEXT arranger, then?! rotf2

Completely agree with the polyphony issue, though (not the OP, though!). If 128 isn't cutting it, you are going overboard. Be honest. When have you ever HEARD a serious dropout on a 128 note arranger? You trying to stack up five stereo voices on each note in the RH, then play with your foot hard down on the sustain? LOL smoke

You are suffering from 'specitis'. A morbid fear of not having the latest TOTL feature, despite not actually NEEDING it...

#316368 - 02/13/11 03:16 PM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: tonkan]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Up to OAS 6, Wersi OAS instruments only had 144 notes of polyphony, and you could layer up to 5 on the right hand (4 normal + 1 on the auto chord feature) 3 for the left hand and 2 on the pedals, 6 ACC tracks (Excludes the 2 drum tracks which use a separate module) as well as up to 16 on the Midi sequencer, and nobody ever had any problems.
NOTE: VST instruments had their own variable polyphony levels, which was determined by the CPU/Ram fitted.

Bill

#316373 - 02/13/11 03:32 PM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: tonkan]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I can layer up to five stereo voices on one note with a G70. Ten oscillators. Play a four note chord, forty oscillators. Still got 86 left over for style and note tails.

Not that I ever would NEED to layer five stereo sounds for one note, but it could still be done. wink

To be honest, I don't think, in six YEARS of playing my G70, I have EVER heard a drop out ONCE. 128 is PLENTY.

#316402 - 02/13/11 06:51 PM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: Diki]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: FransN

So tell us about your NEXT arranger, then?! rotf2

Completely agree with the polyphony issue, though (not the OP, though!). If 128 isn't cutting it, you are going overboard. Be honest. When have you ever HEARD a serious dropout on a 128 note arranger? You trying to stack up five stereo voices on each note in the RH, then play with your foot hard down on the sustain? LOL smoke

You are suffering from 'specitis'. A morbid fear of not having the latest TOTL feature, despite not actually NEEDING it...

Still not sure Diki smile I will certainly buy the Roland BK-7m. Not sure if I go for the PA3x. Maby I just keep my PA500 because I am still satisfied with it.

#316432 - 02/14/11 03:54 AM Re: Are Tyros 4 and PA3 the strangest arrangers ever? [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I can layer up to five stereo voices on one note with a G70. Ten oscillators

I can layer up to five stereo voices on one note with a G70. Ten oscillators, nine leds, eight sliders, seven capacitors ..................and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sorry Diki just could not resistors

Merry New Year to you and your G70
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online