SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#316293 - 02/12/11 05:28 PM USB hard drive for the yamaha s900?
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Is there one that will work?
Thanks

#316332 - 02/13/11 11:02 AM Re: USB hard drive for the yamaha s900? [Re: ViLo]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My PSR3000 has no problems with a 20 gig hitachi ide drive in a budget Newlink usb hard disc housing, and the USB port on the 3000 provides sufficient power for the drive without the need for an external power supply.

Assuming the 900's USB system is at least as good as the 3000, you need a USB low power external drive.

Gotcha's.

The 3k can be picky about the hardware, I've got a new USB stick that is recoginised as a USB device but is nevertheless not recognised as a disc!

The 3k tends to prefer USB devices that it has formatted itself. If you have to format on a PC you can try FAT32, then check that the 900 is happy before committing huge amounts of data to the disc. If that fails you'll have to use normal FAT but I don't know if that's availble on newer PCs. NTFS or other non-FAT formats are a definate no-go.

And finally (and I think this is true for the 900) there's a maximum limit - 250 entries - on the number of files and folders in any part of the directory structure on the disc. If you have more than that the directory can be unreadable on the 3k.

Hope this helps.

John

#316333 - 02/13/11 11:03 AM Re: USB hard drive for the yamaha s900? [Re: MacAllcock]
MacAllcock Offline

You can tell I've not posted anything since we changed software, Ijoined the new

#316334 - 02/13/11 11:04 AM Re: USB hard drive for the yamaha s900? [Re: ViLo]
MacAllcock Offline

forum, I didn't know it put my name at the bottom and I keep clicking the worng button!

#316407 - 02/13/11 07:43 PM Re: USB hard drive for the yamaha s900? [Re: MacAllcock]
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Thanks John.
I tried some generic no name 2 gig/1 gig usb thumb drives, I can record some songs but after a while, it starts giving me errors, "device its busy" or something like that so it stops in the middle of a recording.

Someone told me to use a known name brand stick, and I was trying to find out if I can use a USB HArd Drive instead and which its prove to be working...I'll try to see if I can find an approved USB thumb drive tomorrow, since I find a list approved from Yamaha[I found it this afternoon]
Thanks again

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online