SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#316325 - 02/13/11 09:34 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: Harold123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... that was a wonderful gesture ...
I love the thoughtfulness and sense of giving by the people on this board ...
While I realize certain charitable organizations need money to continue doing good works, it is always more heartwarming to give a 'gift' such as this that we know is appreciated, as opposed to just giving a cash donation somewhere ...

On the 'flip' side, I am a little surprised that they allowed someone to take food in ... there is always the dark cloud of 'liability' hanging overhead ...

Good job in so many ways, Gary clap

#316326 - 02/13/11 09:43 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Gary ... that was a wonderful gesture ...
I love the thoughtfulness and sense of giving by the people on this board ...
While I realize certain charitable organizations need money to continue doing good works, it is always more heartwarming to give a 'gift' such as this that we know is appreciated, as opposed to just giving a cash donation somewhere ...

On the 'flip' side, I am a little surprised that they allowed someone to take food in ... there is always the dark cloud of 'liability' hanging overhead ...

Good job in so many ways, Gary clap

T if that was here in NJ I would have brought her a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich w/ fried onions smile

#316329 - 02/13/11 10:25 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Gary, Yep, it's these simple acts of kindness smile ' and the appreciation shown by the patients that make nursing home entertainment especially rewarding cool , but that said . .

I too, long ago, performed a similar gesture to a nursing home resident and was later reprimanded by the head of the dietary staff because it was against policy to bring in food of any kind (unless pre-authorized by the staff) because many residents have got strict dietary restrictions, and warned that I would be held liable if the person had developed an allergic seafood reaction. From then on, I now always get staff approval first.

#316331 - 02/13/11 10:45 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the complements guys. My only regret is that I cannot do more for these wonderful people.

Scott, I asked permission before bringing the meal and not only was it was granted, the kitchen staff complemented me. Yes, there are some dietary restrictions, but in reality, they are anything but strict.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#316335 - 02/13/11 11:12 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Gar, figured you knew the drill, but I was young and foolish back then when I first started out doing those type of gigs, so figured it good to point out, so others here won't make the mistake I made. cool

#316359 - 02/13/11 02:31 PM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
clap bow

#316474 - 02/14/11 10:44 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Way to go, Gary. It was a year ago last Wednesday that my father-in-law passed away. He had been a resident of a nearby (30 miles) VA.

I go every Wed with what started out as approved treats for 5 residents...nothing fancy-I get them at a small country store on the way...sugar free cookies for one...A chew of tobacco (I don't approve, but the place does) for 97, blind Mr. Bell.

Sadly, three of the 5 have passed away in the last year, but I'm going to go once a week while the remaining two are still here.

And, I'm going to continue to work with Kentuckians For Nursing home Reform to advocate for better care across the board. these kind souls deserve nothing less.

Russ

#316475 - 02/14/11 11:03 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: captain Russ]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Way to go, Gary. It was a year ago last Wednesday that my father-in-law passed away. He had been a resident of a nearby (30 miles) VA.

I go every Wed with what started out as approved treats for 5 residents...nothing fancy-I get them at a small country store on the way...sugar free cookies for one...A chew of tobacco (I don't approve, but the place does) for 97, blind Mr. Bell.

Sadly, three of the 5 have passed away in the last year, but I'm going to go once a week while the remaining two are still here.

And, I'm going to continue to work with Kentuckians For Nursing home Reform to advocate for better care across the board. these kind souls deserve nothing less.

Russ

How did you choose these five, Russ?

And, Gary, way to go, kind of you!

This type of thing is something I wish to do more of.

#316478 - 02/14/11 11:45 AM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, these are just my favorite characters that were the most interactive. This is a dementia/Alzheimer's ward, so many of the later stage guys are pretty out of it.

BTW, the Guild shipped. I'll email you the tracking number later today.

R.

#316494 - 02/14/11 01:34 PM Re: Special Valentine's Gift... [Re: travlin'easy]
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
This is called finesse
Cheers, Gary

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online