Special Valentine's Gift...

Posted by: travlin'easy

Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 02:54 PM

Today, I performed in up upscale assisted living center, one that charges a fortune to be there, yet the food is institutional and very bland. I always kid the residents and tell them at the end of each performance that "I'll see everyone next month and I'm buying the crab cakes and beer." One lady, who is 92 years old, always sits in the front row and rarely cracks a smile. However, there are times when she sings along with me and is always tapping her feet to the beat. Last month she said "I would love to have that beer you are always offering, but they won't let up have it because of the medications. I would give anything, though, to have a crab cake on a kaiser roll with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise, some French fries and cole slaw. That's what I brought to her today for an early Valentines Gift. She was ecstatic, almost cried with happiness, gave me a big hug and said this was the best thing that has happened to her in the two years she has been at the facility. Damned, I love this job, and I only wish I could do this for everyone.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 03:14 PM

Good for you, Gary clap
Posted by: rattley

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 04:45 PM

That's class Gary!!!!!! Something so simple could mean so much........... -charley
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 04:55 PM

Well done gary...you can't buy that kind of emotional satisfaction anywhere.

And, many of us will end up in those places some day...and, an act of kindness like yours would, no doubt, be very gratefully appreciated.

Just in case, let it be known that I like cheeseburgers with onions, mustard, relish, and made with real beef!

Nice going, buddy.

Ian
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 07:47 PM

Too bad your married wink....

Nice touch Gary you made a happy heart happier!
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 07:53 PM

Nice
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/12/11 07:54 PM

Make mine lobster tail and drawn butter...if its not too much trouble.
rocker
Eddie
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 12:38 AM

How does one live a fruitful happy life, by giving of ones self.

Larry, you have that in the palm of your hand. The world would better with more Larrys.

John C.
Posted by: Songman55

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 04:33 AM

Awesome Gary! That's what it's all about.

Joe
Posted by: Harold123

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 05:35 AM

Gary...You Have what is called Character...Sharing Love to others...So many Performers here at the Zone do so much to enrich the Lifes of others also!...What a Great group of People
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 09:34 AM

Gary ... that was a wonderful gesture ...
I love the thoughtfulness and sense of giving by the people on this board ...
While I realize certain charitable organizations need money to continue doing good works, it is always more heartwarming to give a 'gift' such as this that we know is appreciated, as opposed to just giving a cash donation somewhere ...

On the 'flip' side, I am a little surprised that they allowed someone to take food in ... there is always the dark cloud of 'liability' hanging overhead ...

Good job in so many ways, Gary clap
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Gary ... that was a wonderful gesture ...
I love the thoughtfulness and sense of giving by the people on this board ...
While I realize certain charitable organizations need money to continue doing good works, it is always more heartwarming to give a 'gift' such as this that we know is appreciated, as opposed to just giving a cash donation somewhere ...

On the 'flip' side, I am a little surprised that they allowed someone to take food in ... there is always the dark cloud of 'liability' hanging overhead ...

Good job in so many ways, Gary clap

T if that was here in NJ I would have brought her a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich w/ fried onions smile
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 10:25 AM

Gary, Yep, it's these simple acts of kindness smile ' and the appreciation shown by the patients that make nursing home entertainment especially rewarding cool , but that said . .

I too, long ago, performed a similar gesture to a nursing home resident and was later reprimanded by the head of the dietary staff because it was against policy to bring in food of any kind (unless pre-authorized by the staff) because many residents have got strict dietary restrictions, and warned that I would be held liable if the person had developed an allergic seafood reaction. From then on, I now always get staff approval first.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 10:45 AM

Thanks for the complements guys. My only regret is that I cannot do more for these wonderful people.

Scott, I asked permission before bringing the meal and not only was it was granted, the kitchen staff complemented me. Yes, there are some dietary restrictions, but in reality, they are anything but strict.

Gary cool
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 11:12 AM

Gar, figured you knew the drill, but I was young and foolish back then when I first started out doing those type of gigs, so figured it good to point out, so others here won't make the mistake I made. cool
Posted by: Diki

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/13/11 02:31 PM

clap bow
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/14/11 10:44 AM

Way to go, Gary. It was a year ago last Wednesday that my father-in-law passed away. He had been a resident of a nearby (30 miles) VA.

I go every Wed with what started out as approved treats for 5 residents...nothing fancy-I get them at a small country store on the way...sugar free cookies for one...A chew of tobacco (I don't approve, but the place does) for 97, blind Mr. Bell.

Sadly, three of the 5 have passed away in the last year, but I'm going to go once a week while the remaining two are still here.

And, I'm going to continue to work with Kentuckians For Nursing home Reform to advocate for better care across the board. these kind souls deserve nothing less.

Russ
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/14/11 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Way to go, Gary. It was a year ago last Wednesday that my father-in-law passed away. He had been a resident of a nearby (30 miles) VA.

I go every Wed with what started out as approved treats for 5 residents...nothing fancy-I get them at a small country store on the way...sugar free cookies for one...A chew of tobacco (I don't approve, but the place does) for 97, blind Mr. Bell.

Sadly, three of the 5 have passed away in the last year, but I'm going to go once a week while the remaining two are still here.

And, I'm going to continue to work with Kentuckians For Nursing home Reform to advocate for better care across the board. these kind souls deserve nothing less.

Russ

How did you choose these five, Russ?

And, Gary, way to go, kind of you!

This type of thing is something I wish to do more of.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/14/11 11:45 AM

Bill, these are just my favorite characters that were the most interactive. This is a dementia/Alzheimer's ward, so many of the later stage guys are pretty out of it.

BTW, the Guild shipped. I'll email you the tracking number later today.

R.
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: Special Valentine's Gift... - 02/14/11 01:34 PM

This is called finesse
Cheers, Gary