SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#315803 - 02/08/11 12:41 PM Cee Lo Green's dirty word song
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
WARNING WARNING WARNING
If the f-word bothers you, do not click.
You've been warned!

Has this been posted here? If so, I'm behind the times.

Haha, I gotta admit, this is catchy! The woman did him wrong! Hey, he's saying what a bazillion other people have said, so, who am I to say it's "wrong."

They spent some moola on this. Do you see the youtube count... 43 million? Sheesh. I would say that this means that people like to hear somebody say the f-word. As if we don't know that. The youtube phenomena has certainly opened things up regarding censorship.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

Lyric:
http://www.elyricsworld.com/fuck_you_lyrics_cee-lo_green.html

But wait... there is a CLEAN version? (With only 3 million hits!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxodgpyGec

#315806 - 02/08/11 01:03 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... no surprise here about the number of hits ... as more and more of this "crap" gets on you-tube, the global society goes 'down the tube' ...
of course, this is JMHO ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/08/11 01:04 PM)
Edit Reason: typo correction

#315808 - 02/08/11 01:38 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
smile smile I think it's funny. Except for the F-word, it's really not blatantly obscene (like just for the sake of being obscene). Cee Lo's from Atlanta and his parents, both 'preachers', died (in an accident I believe) when he was very young. He actually can sing (listen to his 'Who's gonna save my soul, now') and has had several 'hits'. But here is the question.

If you could write and produce this very same song, knowing that it would bring you several million bucks, would you do it? Remember, that's a LOT of arranger keyboards and a pretty nice shack to house them in. What price morality? Would you be able to look your grandkids in the eye and tell them where the money came from that paid for their shiny new minibike or super-duper video game? MY grandkids would get a shiny new minibike along with a note that said, "Try to have higher moral standards than Grandpa".

smile

chas

#315813 - 02/08/11 02:24 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

chas ... I really like to think - no make that BELIEVE - that my moral standards are strong enough not to write something like this ... regardless of what riches this might bring, I don't believe I could look my grandchildren in the eyes and say "Do as I say, not as I do" ...

#315817 - 02/08/11 02:43 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Tony, that's good. But you AND your Grandchildren are middle class Americans who grew up around steaks on the grill and golf clubs in the trunk. What if you lived in an unsafe neighborhood, surrounded by crime and poverty, and wondering where your next meal or the rent was coming from? Would that influence on your moral stance? Just asking.

chas

#315822 - 02/08/11 03:41 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Tony, that's good. But you AND your Grandchildren are middle class Americans who grew up around steaks on the grill and golf clubs in the trunk. What if you lived in an unsafe neighborhood, surrounded by crime and poverty, and wondering where your next meal or the rent was coming from? Would that influence on your moral stance? Just asking.

chas

chas ... since you asked ... I grew up in a low/middle class, blue collar neighborhood, one block away from the AfroAmerican neighborhood ... many of the black kids in the playground were my friends ... being one of the two "dago/Eye-talian/wop" families in the area, the Poles, Irish, etc. parents didn't want their kids playing with us ... we had a dog so we could be warned when someone was sneaking around the house ...
My father never completed high school and was a laborer/longshoreman all his life ... He left the house at 5 o'clock each morning to 'shape up' on the docks to see if he was going to work that day ... he had a small weekend business selling/delivering beer and soda house to house ... I started working with him at the age of 13 ... he eventually lost the business because he allowed too many people to 'buy on credit' ... At the age of 42 he busted his ass - I know because I used to hold his feet as he did his sit ups - getting in shape to take the physical for the Civil Service laborers job ...
My mother was an 'at home seamstress' so that they could send me and my 2 sisters to Catholic school ... Pasta Fagiole was dinner a couple of nights a week ... Another night was the meatloaf mom made in the Sunday 'gravy', and of course the leftover Sunday macaroni and meatballs on Thursday night ... 'steak' was hamburgers as a rare treat ... Yes, we were more fortunate than a lot of people and we thanked God every night for it ... as I do now ...
I did not know what a golf club was until I was close to 30 years old, and I don't think my father ever held one ...
Fortunately, because of the efforts of our parents, and the fact that my wife and I had the opportunity to work all our lives, we were able to give our children good educations which they have put to good use - our son is a dentist and our daughter works in a hospital helping troubled kids from infants through teens - our grandchildren will have 'better' (?)lives than we had growing up (although I have serious concerns as to where this society is going) ... but isn't that what we all aspire to? ...
My moral standards have been well developed, and I refuse to accept the fact that the language in many of today's 'pop' songs is necessary or acceptable ...
Just saying.

#315827 - 02/08/11 04:15 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gadzooks...! Methinks veritably, ALLST thou young poppinjays sweareth like unto godless varlet's, zounds! 'Oddsbodikins! 'Faith, thou speaketh unto an ass!

Some things never change.... monalisa

#315850 - 02/08/11 07:28 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
124 Offline

Picking up on something that Chas mentioned, I think I'd rather tell my kids that I made my money by saying the F-word rather than saying I'd made it in the fashion of Bernie Madoff, Conrad Black and their ilk. I don't believe the odd utterance of the F-word is anywhere close the the moral lows attained by some of those Wall Street vultures.

And I'm not sure that morals are that closely connected with how we express ourselves anywany, in that morals are what we believe in and how we conduct ourselves, and language is merely the means of articulating what those beliefs are. Not the same thing.

#315855 - 02/08/11 08:51 PM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Yes, there may be 'degrees' of wrongdoings, but does that make any of them RIGHT?!?!? ...

Quote:
morals are what we believe in and how we conduct ourselves, and language is merely the means of articulating what those beliefs are.

And what does 'articulating' the f-word tell us about our moral beliefs???

I have said many, many times that I realize that I'm 'old' and my beliefs are often considered 'old-fashioned', but I still don't see the value of kids walking around using the f-word whenever they want because they are given the impression that it's ok ...

#315876 - 02/09/11 04:21 AM Re: Cee Lo Green's dirty word song [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown

I think the song is very catchy. I'm sure that many listeners, young and old, will like it for the explitive, but I think the the melody and they rest of the lyrics have their own merit. I might sing the "forget you" version and I bet my audiences would love it. Deep inside I, and I think secretly, most of us would love to do the explicit version because it rings so true. I'm not in favor of most explicit lyrics and I think that "Forget You" would have been a big hit a few years ago, but today the f-word is not as taboo as it once was. I'm sure most pre-teens have heard and use the word in their own circles and many own the explicit version of this song.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online