SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#315800 - 02/08/11 12:27 PM Tyros 4 styles
Bachus Offline

By now everyone must have had a chance to demo or hear Tyros 4 live..

With Tyros 3 many people where complaining about the styles and drums, with the tyros 4 those complains seem to be gone...

So how do you think the Tyros 4 styles compare to Audya, PA2X, Roland G70 and Tyros 3....

Personally i think Yamaha has taken a huge leap and finally created styles that are there to rock in a life performance, the Drums are seccond to none... I am very pleased with the style quallity of Tyros 4...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#315834 - 02/08/11 05:05 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Bachus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bachus
By now everyone must have had a chance to demo or hear Tyros 4 live..

So how do you think the Tyros 4 styles compare to Audya, PA2X, Roland G70 and Tyros 3....

The styles sound better than my Tyros 2, but not as "live" as the Audya. I haven't played the Korg or Roland to make a good comparison.

My question is, are there any new Latin styles on the T4? I'm not talking about easy listening bossas and ballroom Latin. I mean actual popular Latin styles such as salsa, cumbia, merengue, bachata, reggaeton, nortena, banda... My Tyros 2 falls short in this category:(

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#315839 - 02/08/11 05:59 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Bachus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I did play the Tyros 3 but not the Tyros 4. After hearing some of the demos, the Tyros 4 sound better especially the drums but personally I find the styles still boring compared to Korg. You have to keep pushing buttons to keep it interesting. With Korg is that much less. Again just my opinion.

#315878 - 02/09/11 04:32 AM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Bachus]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
There is no doubt you can get the drums on the T4 to sound as "in your face" as the Audya. All you have to do is turn up the drums in the mix and/or exchange the WAV or voice of the snare / bass drum.

What you won't get is the groove because the Audya is a recording of a drummer as opposed to midi drums.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#315879 - 02/09/11 04:40 AM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
What you won't get is the groove because the Audya is a recording of a drummer as opposed to midi drums.

Al, would you know if it is possible to change the "groove" on the Audya's drums (and drums against bass) as it is to alter it on the Yamaha Style Creator using the Groove/Dynamics feature? Korg has a similar feature I believe.

I realize the Audya drums get their realism from being the actual recording of the "live" drummer, but, is the user able to change the "feel" (or "groove") of that particular recording, or is it set in stone?

I thought I read something by AJ that said it was possible to change it...but, I can't seem to find it.

Ian

#315937 - 02/09/11 02:58 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You might need to be a bit specific when you say 'groove', Ian. I got a feeling you are referring to how much 'swing %' there is in the style, whereas I think Al is more just referring to the drummer's 'pocket'.

Mind you, up until now, I hadn't even heard there was a feature on Tyros4 about changing a pattern's swing value? How well does that work, and how well does it deal with notes INSIDE the swing value?

I always missed that old 'Swing %' knob they used to have on much older arrangers and drum machines. Mind you, back then, the patterns were SO much simpler, and changing the timebase of the clock was all that was needed!

Got any examples of something going from a straight 8 style to a swung 8 style (even if it is just moving it a BIT) to compare?

#315942 - 02/09/11 03:38 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
You might need to be a bit specific when you say 'groove', Ian. I got a feeling you are referring to how much 'swing %' there is in the style, whereas I think Al is more just referring to the drummer's 'pocket'.

Mind you, up until now, I hadn't even heard there was a feature on Tyros4 about changing a pattern's swing value? How well does that work, and how well does it deal with notes INSIDE the swing value?

I always missed that old 'Swing %' knob they used to have on much older arrangers and drum machines. Mind you, back then, the patterns were SO much simpler, and changing the timebase of the clock was all that was needed!

Got any examples of something going from a straight 8 style to a swung 8 style (even if it is just moving it a BIT) to compare?

Yes, the Groove function in Style Creator is actually old news Diki...it's been around since at least the PSR-8000.

It works as you described, although the "swung" style must be saved as a custom style...you can't use Groove in a "live" situation .

It also works in reverse, taking a Swing 8 beat and changing it to a straight 8.

It works on each part of the style (Variations/fills/Intros/Ending) with several different values for each part, or all parts of the style.

I use it very often, not just for swinging a straight style, but also to "fit" parts of a swung style to a straight style so it is all straight, or all swung, if you get my drift?

Not a lot of people seem to understand or use the Groove/Dynamics of Style Creator, although all my clients get a course in how to use it, and do very well indeed.

I'll see if I can put together some examples...I am a bit stretched at the moment preparing for a clinic tomorrow....(did a quick one today)...Maybe I'll pop one off on the S910 if it will be quicker.

If the Audya has a swing/groove function similar to what you describe, and what has been on the Yammies for years, but using it's audio drums, that would be pretty cool.

Ian

PS...I'd be surprised if Korg doesn't have a similar feature to Yamaha's regarding the Groove function.

#315944 - 02/09/11 03:54 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Bachus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep it does!! smile

#315950 - 02/09/11 05:14 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Diki,

Here are two quick/short examples using the factory style Cool8Beat...

http://www.4shared.com/embed/506434111/c12f1414

http://www.4shared.com/embed/506434780/6367e379

The first is un-grooved...the second is grooved by about 50% (or "C" when choosing from A-E in Amount)

I used Intro III and Ending III as they would show the change in the best way.

You are also able to fine tune the "groove" by "pushing" certain parts of the beat by varying amounts.

Although it (Style Creator) may lack (or do differently) some features that your Roland can do, it is still a pretty sophisticated system, that isn't very difficult to use...most, if not all, of my clients catch on right away...of course, it helps that it is in a clinic where they can see what is being done...trying to describe it in text would be very tedious, for sure.

Ian

#315955 - 02/09/11 05:49 PM Re: Tyros 4 styles [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Hi Diki,

Here are two quick/short examples using the factory style Cool8Beat...

http://www.4shared.com/embed/506434111/c12f1414

http://www.4shared.com/embed/506434780/6367e379

The first is un-grooved...the second is grooved by about 50% (or "C" when choosing from A-E in Amount)

I used Intro III and Ending III as they would show the change in the best way.

You are also able to fine tune the "groove" by "pushing" certain parts of the beat by varying amounts.

Although it (Style Creator) may lack (or do differently) some features that your Roland can do, it is still a pretty sophisticated system, that isn't very difficult to use...most, if not all, of my clients catch on right away...of course, it helps that it is in a clinic where they can see what is being done...trying to describe it in text would be very tedious, for sure.

Ian

very nice example Ian....this feature alone doubles the amount of style variation you already have on the unit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online