SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#316134 - 02/10/11 10:11 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: Nigel]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I have so many favorites but one I really like is Beth Hart. . .. She is like a modern incarnation of Janis Joplin

Ditto, wow you got that right Nigel cool and Janis set the gold standard here:

#316135 - 02/10/11 10:15 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
By the way Nigel my post further back unfortunately came immediately after your post about Beth Hart (must have posted at about the same time)...I was talking about Diki's like for Bjork NOT Beth Hart...

I have just had a listen....wow!!! got a fan here, and fwiw, I agree with the JJ comment (especially whole lotta love - listening to it as I write this)

D

#316137 - 02/10/11 10:27 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I have so many favorites but one I really like is Beth Hart. . .. She is like a modern incarnation of Janis Joplin

Ditto, wow you got that right Nigel cool and Janis set the gold standard here:

Oh yeah I love Janis. Eveything she touched was gold. What an awesome performer.

#316138 - 02/10/11 10:42 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: miden]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Don, agree with you, Eva Cassidy's Over The Rainbow is right up there with Eric Clapton's Edition. Even my 12 year old granddaughter likes it:

Sidenote: Can someone explain the "pickup" used by the keyboard player at around 2:20 ?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#316140 - 02/10/11 10:56 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Are you talking about the mouthpiece he is blowing into?.

If so, it is a breath controller...looks like a Yamaha model...I have the other version, used on my CS-01, which looks like a whistle. Many Yamaha synthesizers (DX-7, DX-5, CS-01) and controllers (KX-88, KX-76 KX-1, KX-5) had this feature...although I believe he (David Sancious) is playing a Peavey Controller, which had similar capability

The breath controller he's using is a later version, and can be worn like a headset.

Can be used to control volume, filter, etc.

Very expressive indeed.

Ian

PS...you used to be able to buy a unit by "MIDI Solutions" that let you plug in a breath controller, and midi the device to your synth...also, I think Kurzweil may have had a breath controller input on some models.

#316141 - 02/10/11 10:58 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Don, agree with you, Eva Cassidy's Over The Rainbow is right up there with Eric Clapton's Edition. Even my 12 year old granddaughter likes it:

Eric is just magic. What an awesome rendition.

Another version of this song I love is by Stanley Jordan. It reminds me what I love about guitar playing.

#316144 - 02/10/11 11:16 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I posted this video not so long ago in The Bar .... but because it is one of my all time favorites I will add it to this thread as well. This really is the best band in the world.
It is synth, bass, guitar and drumming at its very finest.

#316169 - 02/11/11 06:04 AM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Way too many to pick one favorite, but I do favor this one quite a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKuaoculKDg

#316192 - 02/11/11 01:42 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OMG! I remember seeing that OGWT show when it aired. It changed my life! Can't believe how YOUNG they all were back then! Return to Forever were a game changer for jazz.

Thanks for the clicking, Dennis. I don't demand anybody like her, but just as you might feel anything you post is at least WORTH a brief listen, so we can understand a little about what you describe or rave about, the few seconds out of your life clicking on that can't have been the MOST wasted time of your life!

I don't mind her not being your cup of tea, but we all ought to take at least a SIP from each others' cups, now and again, just to better know our fellow members!

#316203 - 02/11/11 02:58 PM Re: Your Favorite Music Video [Re: lahawk]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's another of my favorites. Not sure what it says about my taste, but Randy Newman is a song-writing son-of-a-gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2iEGlOxTUM
DonM

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online