SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335416 - 01/05/12 09:55 PM Phenomenal Day at Work...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I'm a few months into my 16th year of providing live musical entertainment for Seniors in Southwest Ohio. I'm incredibly blessed to be able to do this...and nothing but this...for this long. I've met some amazing people, seen profound courage and grace and learned a lot about my self along the way. Working with members of our "greatest generation" is a privilege.

Today began as most days do, I had a single show near downtown Dayton at 2:00pm. An Assisted Living facility, this group would be fairly high functioning but with some physical or early stage memory loss issues. A mixed group, I planned on performing a variety of material from Country, Big Band and Oldies. The show was fun, everyone got involved and left in better spirits than when they walked (or rolled) into the room.

That's what I do...or rather, that's what I get to do on a daily basis, over 400 times a year.

What made today different was the phone call I received from a long term client around lunch time, asking was I available for a special performance later today? I explained that I had a performance scheduled from 2:00pm to 3:00pm, but after that I was free. "What was up?" I asked...

The client explained that one of her residents, let's call her Mary, (not her real name) was facing surgery tomorrow where they would amputate her remaining leg. She previously had had one leg removed about two months ago. Mary was getting quite anxious about the procedure and the Activity Director wanted to think of something that might soothe her nerves for a while. The director knew Mary had followed me around for several years in my public performances and asked if I would come in and spend some time with her.

This woman is facing a surgery in a little over 12 hours to cut off her one remaining leg and they think I'm the guy to help her out? "Sure," I said, "...what room number is she?"

The director didn't tell Mary I was coming in. I'm not scheduled to perform there until later in the month, so there's no way she was expecting me. "Mary, you have a surprise visitor stopping by later on..." was all they told her.

I arrived at the facility around 4:30pm. I walked to her room and knocked on the door frame and said, "Hey Mary, what's up?" Mary didn't recognize me at first but as I...

Click Reasonable Conversation here to continue reading...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (01/05/12 09:56 PM)

#335418 - 01/05/12 10:17 PM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Bill, I've been doing this for 15 years now and I know exactly how you feel because I have been visiting various patients who can no longer attend my shows for over 2 years now. It's an important part of my visit to a facility now. The staff will say something like "Gloria has been waiting for your visit all day now." This is so special. I never dreamed that this is what I would be doing at this age. What a privilege! Thanks for sharing.

Joe

#335419 - 01/05/12 10:26 PM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is a wonderful thing!
A couple years ago Semilive, Dean and I were at a nursing home in a small town near here. Same thing, the AD asked if we would go to a room to visit a girl who couldn't walk, and was a big Elvis fan.
Bill took his guitar and we sang a couple of Elvis songs for her and tears of joy ran down her face.
You get to have experiences like these on a fairly regular basis doing nursing home shows.
At another home, every time we went there, one lady, about 80, would invite Dean (she called him Pee Wee) to her room, but she had an ulterior motive! He would laugh and tell her he didn't date younger girls. It was a very sad day when we went there and she had passed away.
DonM

#335442 - 01/06/12 07:19 AM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I can only echo the statements of others above. We have the best job in the world, and no one knows this better than us.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#335449 - 01/06/12 08:30 AM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
zuki Offline

Very cool Bill and I like your paper (and writing) too! I've been in the ministry before as a keyboardist/vocalist in various churches. The circuit we are on is, without question, one of the highest forms of ministry on God's green earth.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#335465 - 01/06/12 10:43 AM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bill

Nice going, your compassion for these folks is admirable. Also the people who work with them everyday, its a calling. I also enjoy playing for these groups. The money is not great but the audience appreciation makes up for it.

#335478 - 01/06/12 02:17 PM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
What a great story, be proud to do that kinda work in the long run that is what matters, recently I did a care facility where we celebrated a lady that was 105 years old and also was haveing her 61 year wedding anversary to her husband of 101 in the same day , those are the day you dont forget .

#335481 - 01/06/12 02:32 PM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: musicforyourday]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Guys, as you know, I don't do nursing homes, assisted living facilities or anything like that, and I am active in a group that lobbies and tracks nursing home abuse and neglect.

All of that aside, I admire you for what you do. And, I can see you are sincere about feeling good about providing enjoyment to residents.

GOOD WORK!

R.

#335527 - 01/07/12 08:47 AM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Great story, Bill ... thanks for sharing ... I have never seen audiences as appreciative as the ones I have played for in NH, assisted living homes, etc. ...
Sometimes I wonder as we play different gigs - restaurants, parties etc. - if at times we don't take the talent we have for granted, in that we go out, play, have a good time, get paid, and go home ... It is playing in the NH, assisted living home environment that really makes me think of fortunately BLESSED we are to be able to provide people with a few moments of joy and happiness, and perhaps even some escape from the physical and/or emotional pain they may have ...
Keep up the great work ...

#335529 - 01/07/12 08:49 AM Re: Phenomenal Day at Work... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well said Tony!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online