SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3156 - 04/07/02 01:54 PM A minor + G major mixed becomes...
tekminus Offline

..what?

See, I've got this 'tune', made only with the Micro Modular. Three step-sequencers and three note-sequencers, all with their own little synth, running in parallel.

They all start out with playing the single notes in an A minor chord and then procede to G major. Overtime however things get mixed up because I've got some clock dividers messing up the time signature of each synth.

It's all very calm and soothing, but are there any similarities between those two scales? It sounds ok to my abused ears, but is this just wrong? Does this just result in 7th's and whatnot?

I'm no theory wiz as you might've noticed.

-tek

edit: g major..g major and nothing else.

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 04-07-2002).]

#3157 - 04/07/02 04:29 PM Re: A minor + G major mixed becomes...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Well, if stacked right, Amin plus Gmaj could be interpreted as Amin11. It depends on the style of the song how this will sound together. If it is kind of a modal piece, chances are that the key sig isn't changing at all. Meaning, your A min will be using the same scale tones as the G maj. You'd be using A dorian minor, whose notes are A B C D E F# G A; which would be the same notes as the G major scale, only going from A to A as opposed to going from G to G.

So, it might work theoretically and it might not; can't tell for sure because I haven't heard it.

#3158 - 04/07/02 05:01 PM Re: A minor + G major mixed becomes...
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Tekminus:
FAEbGBD is spot-on - "A minor" with a sharp 6th (in this case the F# inherited from G major) is "A dorian mode."

Traditional minor keys are pretty rare in pop music these days, since blues scales deliberately blur the division between major and minor, and the Harmonic (lowered 6th, raised 7th) and Melodic (raised 6th and 7th going up, lowered going down) minor scales have all but disappeared. That leaves so-called Natural minor, which also sounds modal.

But again, we'd have to hear it to call it. Since the test is the ear, and you say it sounds fine, then it's fine!

#3159 - 04/07/02 08:57 PM Re: A minor + G major mixed becomes...
tekminus Offline

Alright, thanks. It's going through a reverb, that never gets a chance to breathe, so that mixes things up even more. 20s decay with too much of everything, but as I said, it very calm and relaxing.

-tek

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online