SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#315138 - 02/03/11 06:44 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
"You did not mention the CTK-7000. (I wonder why they use a different alphabetical designation when the numerical ID would suffice and eliminate confusion?) Do you have or do you plan to carry this smaller version? I don't need 71 keys and the smaller the better for my tiny studio since I've downsized."

For some reason all Casio keyboards that have 61 keys they call CTK ....and anything with 76 keys they call WK.....
I will be selling the 61 key models as well. They will be here in a few weeks.

"Do these two Casio Arrangers allow fewer intros and endings than most keyboards on their "styles?" While I'm at it, do they identify "styles" by a different name?"

Casio uses one intro and one ending, two variations and two fill ins. This is the same for all the Yamaha keyboards that are under the $700.00 price range. Casio calls styles "Rhythms". There are 6 catagories with a total of 250 Rhythms. There is memory for 100 of custom rhythms which can be edits of the factory or brand new ones you make or perhaps load from Casio's website if they decide to offer custom rhythms (I suspect they will). Each rhythm has a one touch preset selection which provides a proper sound and a tempo for that rhythm. If you change styles while one is playing the current tempo and upper sound will continue. You can store 96 registrations which just like Yamaha stores layers, splits, rhythms, effects and all mixing console settings.

"Is the SD card easy to access and replace? Can a Pen Drive or USB Memory Stick be used to transport the songs created to a PC for further editing?"

The SD card goes easily in a back slot and unlike a usb pen drive it doesn't stick out of the keyboard. Any size from 2GB to 32GB is supported. I have copied dozens of midi files and I have recorded audio files onto the 2GB card I have formated in the keyboard. A total of 999 files, including audio and midifiles can be stored on one SD card. You can record up to 5 audio songs on a single audio file. I hope that makes sense. That way, you can call up one file from the card and have 5 locations called up quickly for playback before having to find another file on the card. Yes, you can transfer files made on the keyboard. Casio says that there is conversion software at their website. "A special Data Manager application is required in order to transfer data to and from the keyboard at http://world.casio.com/ "

"While I'm at it, I've not seen a photograph of the rear of these keyboards. I'd like to know which side the power cord is located and other details about what else needs to be connected (or could be connected) to this "board" if desired by the user."

The power chord plugs into the back a little left of center of the display. Actually it's at about the F before middle C. Next to this is the mic in, which is a 1/4" jack, left and right output jacks, also 1/4". On the other side of the power cable there is a 1/8" stereo audio input jack for plugging in ipods or C/D players or other keyboards, a 1/4" jack for instrument input of an electric guitar, etc. and then there is a 1/4" jack for headphones and a 1/4" jack for a sustain or assignable pedal switch. Down a few more inches is the USB port to connect to a computer and the SD card Slot. D Batteries can also be placed into the bottom and used for up to 5 hours of continued use.

"Please also give us your impression about the manual that accompanies these units. Is it well written and easy to understand or is it pigeon english like some Japanese manuals?"

I found the manual equal to Yamaha manuals. Not great but not bad. It's about 160 pages and although I'm a seasoned veteran, both in age (60) and years of selling arrangers (since 1980), I found this one OK. Remember, this keyboard does a lot of things so I just learn to do one thing at a time. There are diagrams and I do like that first the manual explains what something can do and then goes into step1, step2, etc.

"As you may know, this keyboard family is being advertised by big box stores such as Guitar Center. Unfortunately, their staff is not well informed about "arrangers" so I'll have to figure out things mostly on my own when their units begin arriving sometime after the 9th of Feb."

I understand and I have never posted here just to get your business. But anyone here will tell you that when they purchase from me and they need my help by phone or live, I will take the phone over to the keyboard and go step by step to help teach my customers. I'm sorry but I don't do this when I didn't sell it, but even though our profit on keyboards like these are so bad these days I believe I owe this kind of service to my customers. It doesn't matter to me if the sale was a $4000.00 keyboard or a $100.00 I still work hard to gain my customers support. That said, I also think it's really important to buy from someone who knows the product. If you go into a Guitar Center and just stand there and try it out yourself, you might never find what you were looking for in sounds, editing, etc. What I tell all my local customers is if we all sell for the same price, support your dealer who knows something.
(Retired 2021)

#315139 - 02/03/11 06:52 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Wow George, great review, thanks very much, and Don was correct, only 2 style variations

Dave, you can record and play songs recorded on the keyboard, you cannot play MP3 or Wave files imported from another source on a card.

Sure seems like a lot for $500

The manual and specs link for the WK-7500

Attachments
variations.jpg

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315146 - 02/03/11 08:11 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
George, do these Casios have either an "arranger hold" or "sync stop" function? In other words, is there a way to set them up so that when a style is playing and you lift your hand from the keys in the accompaniment section, the style stops; and when you play another chord, the style resumes?

Yamahas can do this by activating a setting called "sync stop" (you can even specify how long you have to hold the keys to "latch" a chord.) Roland and Korg also have a "sync stop" function in the style control section. In addition, Roland has a menu parameter called "Arranger Hold", and Korg has a "Memory" button right on the panel for this purpose.

I read the manual pretty thoroughly, and unless you activate it by pressing the "Syncrho / ending" button twice, it appears that Casio has omitted this important capability. Which brings up another important question...

Do these boards have the ability to accept firmware updates? I wasn't into arrangers 10 years ago when the MZ-2000 made its debut. Can anyone say whether Casio supported that board with firmware updates to fix bugs, add features, etc.? Thanks!

#315147 - 02/03/11 08:39 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: lahawk]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
taz Also, unforunately, it does not have a midi IN or OUT, but it does have USB to Host. You can not connect other keyboards or modules to it.
On the up side it's way better than the WK3800. I would like to know more about the "semi - weighted" keyboard though.

Allan

#315182 - 02/04/11 06:57 AM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: tassiespirit]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks again, George:

Your review information is so thorough and I sincerely appreciate the things you do for this forum. After I've had the "hands on" experience I'll contact you if I decide the CTK-7000 is for me.

Thanks also, to the rest of you who provided additional viewpoints and information.

Dave

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#315183 - 02/04/11 07:05 AM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Sounds like a lot of Arranger for 499.00

#315245 - 02/04/11 03:49 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi George ,

Thanks for the review.

Please tell me , are the buttons plastic ( hard plastic ) or rubber like the PSR Yamaha`s,

Many thanks,

Gary

#315260 - 02/04/11 06:01 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

the buttons are rubber.

Playing around today I discovered how easy it is to adjust all the tracks of a style including sounds, volumes, pans, effects and save them as new user styles. Of course you can also re record all the tracks but if all I want to do is use the mixing functions I can save these in 100 locations.
(Retired 2021)

#315381 - 02/05/11 06:59 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Thanks George , Gary.

#315431 - 02/05/11 10:07 PM Re: Just Received First Casio WK-7500 Quick Review! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Diki,
The keys are like playing the Yamaha NP30. They are boxed off like a piano key, not like a PSR910 key. When I say they are semi-weighted, like the Yamaha NP30 they have more resistance then a synth action keyboard.
(Retired 2021)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online