SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3150 - 10/26/04 03:33 PM Please Help (First synth)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, I've been recently intrested in buying a synthesizer of my own. I've been in studios quite a bit so I sort of know whats goin on with them. I've been really interested in the Karma and Triton LE. And with that i have some general questions...
1.What does one offer and the other not?
2.Could i hook it directly up to my laptop and record?
3.I see they have floppy disk drives, is this just for on-board memory?
4.Which is really the more advanced and extensive one?
5.I was looking at the Triton Studio just for kicks...am i really missing out by not savin up and gettin this?
6.Am i able to create my own drum beats? Or can I just edit the default ones? Or both?
7.This being my first synth, will either one be really satisfying? Will I get bored with it after a day?
Please let me know...Thanks!

#3151 - 11/01/04 12:42 PM Re: Please Help (First synth)
TM Offline

Sounds like you want a workstation/arranger more so then a synth. Anyhow you said synth, and your looking at Korgs...so at the very least I would say check out The MS2000 from Korg ( stand alone or the rack mount ). Also im not a big fan of the Tritons ( for mostly subjective reasons )...one of those I have an unhealthy love for the Trintity.

Might want to look into some Alesis...ION is lots of fun ( no risk of getting bored after a day ). Check the micron as well.

The karma...perhaps you might want to look into some Nords.

Random I know..

#3152 - 11/01/04 05:03 PM Re: Please Help (First synth)
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
I would not reccomend using keyboard drums in the studio with the exception of maybe a PLG percussion card on a Yamaha, but even still. Actually what it really depends on is the program material being recorded.
Personally, I do drum tracks first, always.
How "alive" your drums are has a direct effect how the material is interpreted and noticed. I even master drum tracks separately from the rest of the material and then add them to the final mastering.

Back on the topic (sorry bout that), maybe you should get a demo of a Roland MC-909 or MV-8000. The MV is much cleaner than the MC. I like the MV, but it costs a lot more too.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online