Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#314959 - 02/01/11 10:14 PM Just Bought a Music Pad Pro
Tony Hughes Offline

Does anyone have one and any tips for scanning etc

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#314974 - 02/02/11 03:29 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Tony
Some owners go to great lengths to custom scan their music. Personally, I just scan to PDF as is. There are many options and maybe Scott Yee and others will chime in with additional advice.

Bernie

#314981 - 02/02/11 06:03 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Tony, the most important thing to do when you are formatting scans for the MPP is to be certain that the size of the image is exactly 766 by 1022 pixels. If your initial scan isn't close to that aspect ratio, sometimes it helps to add white areas to the top and/or bottom so the image is not distorted. You can size the image with most graphics software. Paint can do the job. I prefer to save the files as PNG files and then import them into the MPP. But several methods work OK.

#314993 - 02/02/11 09:00 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tony, first of all, congratulations on getting a Music Pad Pro. Since I've purchased an Apple iPad, I don't use my Music Pad Pro unit as often as I now primarily utilize lead sheets and/or lyrics & chords. That said, there are a couple
of distinct advantages about the Music Pad Pro that I prefer over the iPad. These include the larger screen size for far better 'full page' view (large Fakebooks) & classical score readability. The other is The Music Pad's useful note & musical symbol annotation and editing feature. Ok, here's my initial review of the Music Pad Pro in 2005.

Re: Scanning, I concur with Bob Hendershot (hi Bob cool ) that for optimal image quality, it's important to scale the size of the image to 766 x 1022. I also recommend saving the image to PNG before converting to Freehand (.fh) format. Tony, if you wish, I'm open to chatting on Skype with you to share more details. Feel free to PM me. smile

#315113 - 02/03/11 03:01 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Scottyee]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I’ve used the MPP for several years, and then went to a 10” VGA monitor since the Ketron has a 15 pin out. With the monitor, I liked the idea of not having to search for lyrics and worrying about the MPP freezing up etc. But, I found that I missed having the dots for some tunes. After reading this discussion, I dusted off the MPP and since, over the past couple of weeks, many of my gigs have been cancelled due to weather, I started to update the MPP and hope to use it for the next couple of gigs. I’m just not looking forward to paging through playlists etc.
I normally take my lyrics to word, increase the font size and make any needed edits, then print to freehand.
I hope you will share some of your tips here rather than only using private mail.
Ciao,
Jerry

#315115 - 02/03/11 03:50 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Jerry, I have used MPP's from the very earliest days and have never had any of them "freeze up". I've even dropped a couple of them and they just keep on "keepin' on". I use the edit and annotation functions extensively to put notes on my lead sheets, etc, and can change them at will. Feel free to post any questions here and we will do our best to help.

Playlists with the MPP work great, especially if you can pre-determine the list of songs that you plan to play. All you have to do is touch the right side of the display to call up the next song.

#315117 - 02/03/11 04:05 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
jmo, but the iPad and the appropriate app is a far FAR better solution than the MPP, both in ease of use and in pure graphics quality.

And in the near future any of the about to be released Windows 7 Tablets!!

Really, all the bells and whistles are not really needed on stage!!

All the setup work is done at home. So create your doc file, or paint file or whatever, print it to a PDF file...and believe me, it is the EASIEST way to get crystal clear charts without having to stuff around with this pixel setting or that pixel setting, or that res or that res...

MPP is WAY to awkward..not too mention no further support either, and it is really a very poor, graphically speaking, option for onstage performance.

I went from a 12" tablet laptop to the iPad @ just under 10", but because of the superb crystal clear graphics Apple do, after about 20 minutes I did not notice the difference.

In fact I even went back to the laptop before finally selling it, JUST to see, and my reaction was "uggh, how did I EVER use that!!!"

Just my 2c worth here wink

Dennis

#315122 - 02/03/11 04:28 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bob Hendershot Offline

You are right, Dennis. The setup work is done at home. And, you are right about new software development. The software development staff at Freehand has been closed down. But hardware support is still there. And, it is true that new technology has passed the MPP by. It is an old piece of hardware.

But, if you have seen poor quality displays on a MPP something must have been done terribly wrong. I don't know what I would do with more graphic detail.

I thought we were talking about Jerry's thinking about dusting off the MPP he already has . . .

#315125 - 02/03/11 04:36 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Hey Bob, yes I know , but as I said it's just my thoughts...The only dusting I would do with an MPP would be the dustbin!!

I had no problems in either using the MPP, or achieving the highest possible clarity that was available. I went into it in great detail with several other MPP experts at the time.

All I am saying is the current stuff is far better, and unlike most instruments that seem to get better with age (if looked after), old tech gear does not...

Why waste time TRYING to get something "reasonable" on an old bit of kit like the MPP, when soon, for a few hundred dollars you can get EXCELLENT!!!

Anyhoo, again m8, it's only my opinion laugh not criticising people, I am criticising gear.

MPP "COULD" have been still the trend-setter, but for whatever reason the company did not improve it's hardware.

D

#315133 - 02/03/11 06:13 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I'm also ready to take the leap to some type of e-reader for sheet music display. To me, the MPP is overpriced when compared to an Ipad or similar E-readers. However many of those same E-readers, while lower in price, have a smaller display, probably because their main purpose is for reading books... paperback books.

I would think I would need more than a paperback style display while reading sheetmusic, so a larger display is probably needed (at least for these older eyes). I've only ever used 8.5" x 11" sheets to read, so an 8" e- display seems too small.

So given that, other than the Music Pad Pro, does anyone have a good, easy to see, and read alternative to old fashion sheet music? Will an Ipad give you a large enough display to replace what we grew up with?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315137 - 02/03/11 06:41 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Larry, in my view, the iPad makes up for any apparent lack of "viewable" screen area by having probably the crispest, brightest display around.

If you read my post you would have seen I WAS using a 12" laptop tablet, but the iPad is better, PLUS for when on stage, it does not have the big form factor of either a full laptop or a tablet laptop. SO looks better from an audience pov..

ymmv, but seriously, before you discount the iPad, physically use one and check it out. You may be surprised!!

Dennis

#315140 - 02/03/11 07:21 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
lahawk Offline

Thanks Dennis

I'll check out the Ipad...can't go wrong with an Apple product.
AND it's useful for other purposes. I've tried the laptop display thing, and it's awkward.

For the Ipad, do you save sheets in .pdf format?
Is it easy to turn pages?
I've heard there is a way of using a foot switch for paging.

Anyway...Amazon I'm there smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315142 - 02/03/11 07:33 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Larry, I use all my charts in PDF, I think its become the "de facto" standard now.

All I do is either print from my PDF Fake Books if I want to use dots, or create my own chart using just a chord prog and prompt lyrics, I then use one of the "Print To PDF" programs and bingo there is my PDF file ready for transferring to the iPad.

Or your source file can be anything. Word .doc, or a txt, or a bmp or jpg... I have used all of em laugh to get the charts I need/want. They all come out pretty much the same, although the files based on images are not quite as "crisp". Although that said, I don't spend too much time worrying about the initial res either wink

I use an app called UnrealBook (I was using Music Reader) but UB is far easier to use on stage and it now has MIDI support (control file only) it will also allow the user to link an MP3 backing track to a chart, so th instant you pull up the chart the MP3 is also loaded nand ready to go!! Pretty Cool!

I also use the AirTurn Bluetooth footswitch, for those few tunes that do have multiple pages. Works well, and Unrealbook already has built-in support for it.

Dennis

#315159 - 02/03/11 11:03 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Ask Scott about this as he has used both the MPP and the iPad so will be able to give you some handson opnions on both platforms. He has already posted threads on using the iPad so just do a search for it.

#315160 - 02/03/11 11:42 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Nigel if you read my posts you will see that I have used both extensively as well wink

Dennis

#315161 - 02/04/11 12:00 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: miden
Nigel if you read my posts you will see that I have used both extensively as well wink

Dennis

Yes you have Dennis. Your threads on this would be well worth reading as well for opinions.

#315179 - 02/04/11 05:31 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Well Tony and Jerry, your requests for tips on the Music Pad Pro that you already have, has turned into another "mine is better than yours" thread. Good luck . . .

#315185 - 02/04/11 07:27 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Well Tony and Jerry, your requests for tips on the Music Pad Pro that you already have, has turned into another "mine is better than yours" thread. Good luck . . .

Bob,

Frankly I don't give a toss what anyone else says about the MPP. I got it and I am going to make it work, my 10 year old grandaughter got an Ipad I bought it for her at Christmas, this is a big boys tool, don't give up on ME Bob, never mind the others

Thanks for the help so far, I will keep it to emails if you don't mind.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#315194 - 02/04/11 09:02 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Bob Hendershot]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot

What a ridiculous statement. This is not the case at all.
I am merely highlighting the differences, and as I have OWNED and USED all three, Music Pad Pro, Laptop and iPad, this would qualify as being able to make the comments I made.

Yes I agree with Tony, it would be best to keep your MPP "Tips" restricted to emails or move it to the Computer section of SZ, after all this IS the GENERAL ARRANGER forum....

#315197 - 02/04/11 09:12 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Jerry T Offline

As I said in an earlier post, I have been using a monitor with my Ketron – an 8” monitor, not 10” as I originally said. As compared to the MPP, I like the smaller footprint and the fact that when I choose a song, the corresponding lyrics just pop up – no searching. However, the Ketron and my Korg only read text files, so no dots. The Korg does read scores, but I found that when I mute the lead track – and I normally do – the score does not display. If the Ketron could display PDF or any format that will display both notes and words – that would be the IDEAL (and ‘if a frog had wings …”). I like the idea of using an ipad – smaller footprint and all that , but as Tony implied, I’ve got to start where I am … I have the MPP and I don’t have an ipad, I may someday.
By the by, I don’t mind Dennis’ observations, I can learn from them. His may very well be better, let’s discuss it some more.
Incidentally, I don’t use the screws to fasten the MPP to the stand. I use Velcro so that I can use the MPP and monitor interchangeably. I also use a table top lamp clamp, rather than the floor stand, and fasten it directly to the stand that holds my module or the keyboard stand - when I use the keyboard.
Ciao,
Jerry

#315213 - 02/04/11 12:11 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The iPad solution is looking better and better from what Dennis has been saying about UnRealbook. I guess, for me, having all the OTHER things that the iPad can do (on the road surfing, iTunes library, music apps like tuners, audio analyzers, even VSTi-type apps) trumps the slightly larger display of the MPP, and no doubt most of that's good features that haven't made it to UnRealbook are likely to be rolled into it as time goes on.

However, I'm going to hang back for a little while, until the iPad2 is shipping and the 'gotchas' discovered. In the meantime, I'm working on finding as many .pdf fakebooks as I can.

Perhaps, as these things get more powerful, a standardized code for music scanning and note recognition can be implemented on them, so that, instead of a static page, we get the ability to have the music displayed in any key if transposition is needed? I know at the moment, all you need to do is transpose the arranger and play in the book key. But it helps to have a TRUE transposition feature, just to keep facile playing in a variety of keys...

Heady times, that's for sure..!

#315214 - 02/04/11 12:14 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

BTW, just out of curiosity, Dennis...

What's the BEST feature from the MPP that hasn't made it to the iPad yet?

And is the developer working on it?

#315225 - 02/04/11 01:10 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Big as you can afford! I can see some of the loop apps chewing up memory if you aren't careful, and what's your current fakebook library size? Mine's a few GB. There are a couple of rumors about an SD slot, if true, that might solve THAT issue once and for all!

I don't know about the 3G plan, maybe iPad2 will be Verizon capable, and it might be a bit cheaper? I think April is touted as the most likely launch of the iPad2. As with most things from Apple, the second version is usually WAY better!

#315233 - 02/04/11 01:40 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
BTW, just out of curiosity, Dennis...

What's the BEST feature from the MPP that hasn't made it to the iPad yet?

And is the developer working on it?

Nothing Diki!! And I even had the pro package for the MPP, as well as the MP3 player addition. Yes it had a 12" screen, but the resolution was so poor, it NEEDED it!!! Plus it had sluggish response to taps, and was always, well, just generally "glitchy" without necessarily actually crashing.

The Dell XT2 Tablet was a step up from the MPP, and the iPad is a step up from the Dell.

Aron has Unrealbook going along nicely smile

One feature I am appreciating is the fact you can have all your fake-books loaded on if you wish, and you are able to "bookmark" whatever tunes you want to use.

So when one of these is used in a gig show list or wherever, UB immediately loads up that song only, not the whole fakebook...pretty neat. You can have as many bookmarked songs in any order from as many fake-books as you want.

In regard to iPad 2, well at this stage I have no real need for more storage than the 32gig I already have. I have only used approx 5 smile and that includes about 200 mp3's...

That, and the only hardware changes will be a SD slot, and an additional camera on the back!!

There will be NO USB port, even a mini, and still no Flash support either.

So for me, I won't be upgrading mine, but for those who do NOT have one yet, waiting for the 2 will be the way to go, especially as it is so close.

In any event there will be LOTS of cheap iPads for sale laugh

Dennis

#315234 - 02/04/11 01:45 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
I too am trying to hold off on the IPad until version 2 is released. (April???)

Currently using MusicReader on MacBook Pro with Billi USB page turner as I like the databasing that it provides. There is a version of MusicReader for the IPad now and an update coming soon.

Question: if I did get an Ipad what size would you recommend 64 gig? My ITunes library is 22 gig alone.

I too was using MusicReader, but I have now switched over to Unrealbook. You should really check it out when/if you get an iPad.

Certainly beats the $40-55 we will have to pay for MR4, WHENEVER it finally gets released. I think they are having major issues with it.

It does not offer the same ease of use on the iPad as Unrealbook (I have been beta testing MR4 for the iPad and for the PC).

And now Aron has midi support it makes UB even better. You could already link a MP3 file to a chart, now you can link a MIDI as well.

Midi support is something that is a long way off for MR4 and Marco STILL has not found a developer who can add it to his iPad MR version!!

Dennis

#315235 - 02/04/11 01:47 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

There is also the Motorola Xoom being released soon, and it is rumoured to be the one that will finally knock the iPad sales..

Remains to be seen, but it does look a good unit. Only problem is the lack of apps, particularly chart apps on the Android system. But this may change if developers see Android taking off..

Dennis

#315269 - 02/04/11 08:38 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
lahawk Offline

Dennis I really appreciate your comments on the Ipad, and in no way did I ever think you were referring to a yours is better than mine thing, rather you were pointing out the similarities as well as the differences of the iPad and MPP Pro.

I for one learned a lot from this thread, and believe it should be a part of the Arranger Forum. Why wouldn't it be?

The Motorola Xoom ...wow now something else to think about...

...along with one of these, directly from China:

Android 2.1 Tablet PC-MID-10.2" Touch Screen-ARM 11-Telechips 8900-800MHZ-256MB-4G-Wifi-G-sensor-Camera(SMQ5873)

All for about 200 bucks from Light In The Box

Edited by lahawk (02/04/11 08:57 PM)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315275 - 02/04/11 09:23 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Larry, those ones from China LOOK okay, but when you get into them they are not all that good...Cheap for sure, but for example they have lousy battery tech.

Most of them give a max of around 2 hours on battery, and thats in power saving mode...

Plus NONE of them have the new hardware that the coming brand new Android system needs, they are all Android 2.X and the new version of Android (the super duper version supposedly to match iOS 4.2), requires a different hardware platform.

Ergo none of the existing tablets will run the new version of Android.

This is another reason why a LOT of old hardware tech Android tablets are going really cheaply.

No-one yet, even Motorola, have got anything to match the Apple battery tech, 10 hours+ from a full charge..Proven.

I have done it on mine smile 10 hours, 36 minutes and some secs!!

I don't really know why other makers cannot get similar battery life, it surely cannot be all that difficult if Apple can do it.

Maybe it's because the iPad is designed totally by Apple, with all Apple components, rather than cobbled together with bits from many different sources

If any of the competing tablets get their displays and battery life worked out, look out Apple!!!

Dennis

PS: Larry thanks for supporting/agreeing with me that I was not trying any sort of "peeing contest" here. Jst trying to help folks out with info I have discovered smile

#315276 - 02/04/11 09:26 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Anyway, I am off to my first gig tonight using my new iPad MIDI interface system (Apple Connection kit and Edirol UM1sx) and the Beta version of Unreal Book 1.7....

I will post a note advising how it went, for those that are interested. For those that are not, well....., don't read it laugh

Dennis

#315292 - 02/05/11 05:24 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
Jerry T Offline

Dennis, When you post, also tell us how you actually set up for the gig and what you have to do to choose a tune then play it. I don't understand the MIDI interface thing ... When you choose a tune (MIDI), what actually happens?
Ciao,
Jerry

#315336 - 02/05/11 12:15 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
lahawk Offline

Bottom line for me...I'm just looking for the lowest cost, easy to read device, that will fit on a music stand, and will store and display sheet music. Nothing fancy, just want to clean up my paper music sheet clutter a bit.

For that purpose only, I can't see paying big bucks for an Ipad or MPP, although I'm sure they are worth the cost. I tried the laptop...clumsy, and awkward, does not fit on stand. The E-Tablets readers would seem to be ideal for my situation. Just can't seem to find one that's priced decent...except for the above China model, that btw, has a 10" display and will display .pdf documents (sheet music). And one sheet of .pdf music is about 60 KB so that means one could store a ton of songs in that, or a similar device.

I need to shop around, and if I find something...

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315337 - 02/05/11 12:28 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

In that case Larry, one of those cheaper ones would certainly do the job for you smile

I agree in your case the extra expense would not be justified. You would just need to find an Android Sheet Music Reader app.

I have to admit to not being able to find any, BUT I didn't really look all that hard either laugh

Dennis

#315340 - 02/05/11 12:45 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Jerry T]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerry T
Dennis, When you post, also tell us how you actually set up for the gig and what you have to do to choose a tune then play it. I don't understand the MIDI interface thing ... When you choose a tune (MIDI), what actually happens?
Ciao,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Happy to provide that info smile

First off, the iPad along with the beta UnrealBook 1.7 worked without a hitch, perfect smile

The midi interface system ran smoothly.

Now to more specifics.....

Jerry, on the PA2xPro, as you would probably know, it has what is called a Songbook, in which all songs setup for playing (be they style based or with a midi backing track or an MP3 backing track) can be saved for later recall.

Yamaha has the Music Finder and registrations, and Roland has the UPG and UPS system.

Now, by using a series of midi controller data, Control Changes (or CC's for short), I can remotely, via midi, select any one of 9999 available Songbook entries.

So remember the Songbook entry can be using a mp3 file or a mid file or a style, and all of these are stored on the PA2x hdd.

Initially, UnrealBook (UB) allowed a user to "link" an MP3 file stored on the iPad, to a music chart in its library, so that when the chart was selected, the corresponding MP3 backing track was also selected and ready to play.

Great system IF you only use MP3 backing tracks. Although you did have to negotiate getting the audio from the iPad to the FOH, not a problem, but just another thing to setup.

Now with the addition of midi support in UB, instead of linking an MP3, I can link to the chart on UB the corresponding SMF file containing the control data to remotely select any of the Songbook entries on the Korg.

So now I can simply tap any one of my current chart list of 450 songs, and INSTANTLY the PA2 is setup to play it!!

The PA2 Songbook listing not only saves the resource to be used (style MP3 SMF), but it also saves the entire keyboard setup to be used as well....Mic setting, harmoniser setting, all the right hand and left hand sounds and levels, all the One Touch settings, all the pad settings, and transpose settings if used and on and on...and all setup in the blink of an eye...It is so good I can almost, ALMOST not worry about setlists, just pick songs at random smile

If I could remember chords and lyrics to 450 songs, well, I wouldn't need the iPad wink and I could simply use the great Playlist feature on the PA2, but I cannot, so this is the system I use.

Plus it means I can pretty much instantly add any number of songs to my rep. I am very good at sight reading (had to be, doing backing for solo vocal artists back in the day) so all I need is the chart and I can pretty much do it "cold" at a gig.

Brilliant system hey smile

Now please forgive me if you already knew this about the PA2, but I thought it would make for a better explanation if I did it fully.

By the way, this isn't a Korg specific thing either. The same thing can be achieved on the G70 (perhaps also the GW/Prelude series as well??) as Roland allow 144 different UPS's to be selectable via MIDI, and I am pretty sure (maybe Ian can clarify) that Yamaha Music Finder entries and/or Registrations can also be selected remotely via MIDI.

So there you have it, I hope that was understandable :D, and not too long!!!

Dennis

#315344 - 02/05/11 01:53 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scottyee Offline

Dennis, thanks for that excellent explanation of how you're able to link and call up a songbook file on your Pa2 from your iPad via midi control change messages. That's real cool. smile
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to do the same with the iPad & the Yamaha Tyros 4 as I couldn't find anywhere in the Tyros 4 Data List Manual (midi implementation section) to show either 'Registration' files or 'MusicFinder records' supported or recognized via midi control change or sysex. frown

Edited by Scottyee (02/05/11 01:54 PM)

#315347 - 02/05/11 02:38 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Scott, what you could try, is load up MIDI-OX and see just what midi messages are generated when you push either a registration button, or a MF selection.

I am sure there will be some midi communication from the panel switch to the software sections...

Worth having a look???

D

EDITED TO ADD: Although thinking about it some more, even if you can get the data, it's not much use if Yamaha have blocked the reception of it via MIDI in.

I have no idea WHY they would think allowing a user to select a registration from an external MIDI device is a bad thing???

Oh well, thats one thing at least...I will NOT be buying a Yammie anytime soon wink

#315355 - 02/05/11 03:12 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, I'm late with a response and plenty of good advice has been given already re: scanning. Here's my 2 cents on the MPP, I've been using it for 4 years and it's never failed......... I keep waiting for it to not power up some day, but it hasn't happened YET! With that thought in mind I've recently loaded many of my pdf files to my 32 gig ipad and am slowly transitioning to the iPad in place of the MPP. I use unReal book, but have also downloaded one called Gig Book, that's got lots of potential as well.

I've also purchased an iKlip for the iPad and the holder works great.
iKlip

I mount the iKlip on a mic stand, it's very low key and can be positioned in a very discreet way as not to block your view of the audience. I will say though the MPP is the old standby and has served me well. If it were to fail, I couldn't bring myself to spending another $900 to replace it when the iPad can take it's place. Good luck with the MPP.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/05/11 03:13 PM)

#315375 - 02/05/11 06:42 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Dennis... for songs that span multiple Pages, is there a way to 'hotkey' the D.S. or Coda and repeat signs? Sometimes these span multiple pages and knowing which one to pedal back to on unfamiliar music might be a worry...

#315383 - 02/05/11 07:02 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Diki, yes you can use a tool called "Hot Spot" which enables you to mark a spot and the page number to go back to. This gets saved in a special little prefs file linked to your main chart (the user doesn't see them on the iPad itself)

All you need do is then tap that "spot" and it will jump to the page number specified. Not that I have any charts long enough to use these, but my understanding of the manual is that you can have more than one hotspot in a given chart.

Dennis

#315386 - 02/05/11 07:16 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Excellent!

Didn't the MPP also allow you to write on the chart with colors to make notes?

On a busy chart, color coding jump points (sometimes, the artist doesn't ALWAYS want to do the structure of the chart) or cue points, skipped sections, things like that are great.

On pro shows, I'll often use a highlighter to quickly guide my eye across a chart to a cue, or emphasize an instruction without obstructing the chart itself. Something along those lines (a light color semi-wide line that doesn't obscure the chart) would be of amazing use...

#315396 - 02/05/11 08:05 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Yes UB also has a Pens tool, that can be used as a broad-brush highlight, or as a thin line black writing tool. And is availabe in black blue and red.

#315418 - 02/05/11 09:28 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Keeps getting better!

Mind you, black, red and blue might interfere with the chart a bit. Highlighting markers are usually all pale - pink, yellow, orange and blue. All neon, kinda...

Maybe he can add those colors (or allow user definable colors)?

#315419 - 02/05/11 09:30 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scottyee Offline

iPad app Goodreader includes the color highlight pens, but one thing it has that I especially like and of which to my knowledge isn't supported yet in any dedicated music display app is the ability to either universally (all pages), or selectively crop "all" left or "all" right pages of a large music book, such as a large 1000+ page PDF fakebook. Not sure if if UnRealBook or any other dedicated music display app has finally incorporated this very useful feature yet or not. Anybody know? Though I own UnRealBook, Until it includes the above GoodReader features, GoodReader remains my prefered music display app. smile

#315425 - 02/05/11 09:50 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Keeps getting better!

Mind you, black, red and blue might interfere with the chart a bit. Highlighting markers are usually all pale - pink, yellow, orange and blue. All neon, kinda...

Maybe he can add those colors (or allow user definable colors)?

Sorry I wasn't specific enough.
The line colours are hard red black blue, the highlighter pens are just as you said. A pale "wash" colour, much like the highlighter pen you would use on paper. They just happen to be the same hues

#315457 - 02/06/11 03:57 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Scottyee]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
iPad app Goodreader includes the color highlight pens, but one thing it has that I especially like and of which to my knowledge isn't supported yet in any dedicated music display app is the ability to either universally (all pages), or selectively crop "all" left or "all" right pages of a large music book, such as a large 1000+ page PDF fakebook. Not sure if if UnRealBook or any other dedicated music display app has finally incorporated this very useful feature yet or not. Anybody know? Though I own UnRealBook, Until it includes the above GoodReader features, GoodReader remains my prefered music display app. smile

Scott, how do you manage playlists/setlists with Good Reader? I use good reader all the time, not for music but for owner's manuals and other pdf files I need to store.

#315464 - 02/06/11 07:12 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Scott, how do you manage playlists/setlists with Good Reader? I use good reader all the time, not for music but for owner's manuals and other pdf files I need to store.

Hi Steve, Most of the time, I only call up music on the iPad while at home in the studio exploring new song possibilities or rehearsing/memorizing a specific song. Its during this time when viewing a 1000 page Pdf music fakebook (with white margins completely cropped out) to maximize page view size a must. On stage, I've got the lyrics and chords to hundreds of my repertoire songs stored as .txt files in my Tyros 4 keyboard, and these automatically appear on the Tyros 4's large LCD screen whenever I select a song via saved Registration bank files (8 songs per bank). The only time I rely on viewing music on the iPad or MPP on stage is for audience requests of songs I'm only vaguely familiar with, haven't played in years, or never played before. Its these situations where viewing the music large as possible most critical.

Interestingly enough, I rarely ever use strict predermined playlists on the gig, finding them confining and rigid. I prefer the spontaneous flexibility of being able to pick and choose tunes on the fly via reg banks stored and grouped in tempo, groove, genre, era, and/or artist categories instead. In addition, with the lyrics and chords discreetly displayed on the keyboard screen itself, it doesn't create an audience distraction as music books or even an external display device might, and allows me to better focus on devoting full attention and eye contact with the audience. cool

#315470 - 02/06/11 08:46 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
lahawk Offline

That's It...I'm sold on the iPad!

You guys should get a commission from Apple, as your comments were awesome, and helped me more than you can beleive.

Dennis...I told you, you should be an iPad rep!

Anyway, I'm thinking juggle should I wait for iPad2 ...nahhh

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315486 - 02/06/11 12:03 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: lahawk]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

You guys should get a commission from Apple, as your comments were awesome, and helped me more than you can beleive.

Larry the only suggestion I would make, is that if you CAN wait until the iPad2 is out (and it SHOULD be April) is then you can not only check it out before committing, BUT if you think the iPad 2 is not worth it, there will be HEAPS of iPad 1's around at bargain basement prices. You would probably get a 64 gig iPad 1, still in as new condition for about half the cost of the new one.

Just "food for thought" smile

Dennis

#315487 - 02/06/11 12:05 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

To add...about the only real changes from iPad 1 are the addition of a rear camera and an SD card slot. That's about it.

#315505 - 02/06/11 01:58 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

wink yes but Scotty , I reckon you WOULD use Unrealbook if you could select Registrations via MIDI hey?? Maybe a Korg PA3 might be on the shopping list after all perhaps? smile

D

#315512 - 02/06/11 02:28 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scottyee Offline

Hi Dennis. smile The Korg Pa3x is definitely not out of the question for me, especially with its powerful somgbook, chord sequencer, and tc helicon vh features. That said, if I decide to buy one, I'm definitely not selling my Tyros 4 either because I really love this board. cool Man, it sure would be great if UnrealBook could implement the kind of cropping features GoodReader currently supports. If UnrealBook finally supports this, I'll then dedicate UnRealbook for all my iPad music display needs. Aaron Nelson, you listening? wink Yes, calling up Yam Regs via midi CC would be a nice addition too, but far more important to me, Yamaha needs to link and and call up custom Regs from within MuscFinder to make me very happy. smile

#315515 - 02/06/11 02:42 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Yes, calling up Yam Regs via midi CC would be a nice addition too, but far more important to me, Yamaha needs to link and and call up custom Regs from within MuscFinder to make me very happy. smile

Scott, I really cannot understand why Yamaha did not implement this YEARS ago. Such a simple and straight-forward piece of programming.

They must have a reason, but who would know what that is??? (probably comes from the same bunch of guys who continually make the decision to NOT release a 76 note Tyros!!)

D

#315609 - 02/07/11 11:16 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Larry the only suggestion I would make, is that if you CAN wait until the iPad2 is out (and it SHOULD be April) is then you can not only check it out before committing, BUT if you think the iPad 2 is not worth it, there will be HEAPS of iPad 1's around at bargain basement prices. You would probably get a 64 gig iPad 1, still in as new condition for about half the cost of the new one.

Just "food for thought" smile

Dennis

Ditto to Dennis' comments. Not sure I'd be able to wait until April either??

Not only is the iPad great for music. Both my wife and I are home sick she with pneumonia and me with bronchitis. I hate resting on a couch hour after hour, but with my iPad I'm watching some training videos on photography and iMovie. To top it all I can keep in touch with co-workers who may need my support on work related issues. It sure helps making laying around recovering from illness more tolerable..... .......

Prices will drop no doubt about it so just be prepared for buyers remorse...........life's too short why postpone until tomorrow what you can do today. smile

#315641 - 02/07/11 01:24 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Scottyee Offline

Heads up to iPad owners:

I recently purchased & recommend this terrific anti-glare screen protector for the iPad:

Moshi iVisor AG for iPad

Screen protectors are notoriously difficult to apply on larger iPad screens without annoying bubbles appearing. The first iPad anti-glare screen protector I tried months ago was from PowerSupport, but unfortunately I wasn't able to apply it without bubbles appearing. Now finally, with the Moshi iVisor AG (thanks to Tapas for initially recommending this to me), not only are bubbles a thing of the past, but it took only a minute to easily apply. Without an anti-glare screen protector, the iPad screen is highly reflective (like a mirror), making it difficult to view when external light hits it at certain angles. Though the anti-glare screen protector reduces the image sharpness & brightness ever so slightly, the difference is hardly noticeable compared to vast anti-glare improvement it provides. The other big advantage of this anti-glare screen protector is that there are no longer annoying finger prints appearing on the screen to constantly have to wipe away. That was definitely an inconvenience with the naked screen.

I'm ready for my outdoor gigs in full sun light now. Today's weather forecast in the San Francisco Bay Area is 68 degrees and sunny afterall. smile

#316170 - 02/11/11 06:08 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Jerry T Offline

Well, I put the MPP back to work this week … it seemed like so much more work than using the 8” monitor and I went back to the monitor last night … Pick the tune, and the lyrics appear, smaller footprint etc. I only really need dots for about 4-5 tunes and would feel comfortable with music for maybe 15 – 20 tunes. Does anyone know of an inexpensive, touch screen reader that could display PDF or Word files on about a 7” screen? Then I could choose the reader ‘as needed’. Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

#316171 - 02/11/11 06:36 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Scott, thanks for the helpful way you gave this info, do you use the apple ipad case, I was wondering if it would still fit?

#316175 - 02/11/11 07:01 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
do you use the apple ipad case, I was wondering if it would still fit?
Hi Graham, yes, the Apple case will work fine with it. The Moshi screen protector is paper thin so should have no bearing on which case can be used. smile

I like and use this Hard Candy Street Case

#316183 - 02/11/11 10:00 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Just for the sake of an alternative, I use the Apple one...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/B?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc&mco=MTcyMTgxNTk

And I find this device VERY handy. Especially when surfing/emailing on the run.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC533LL/B?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTcyMTgxNzE

#317813 - 02/28/11 12:26 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: lahawk]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All,

Which Ipad model are you using to read music and what advanatages will the new ipad have for handling music, what are you using to turn pages. There are mixed messages about the MPP I am getting and mines is going back for lock up faults and power battery performance, I don't think you can use the MPP without mains, the battery life is much too short.

Tony

#317818 - 02/28/11 02:53 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I get about an hour on mine. Always plug it in, but it has worked flawlessly for 5 years or so.

#317824 - 02/28/11 05:11 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Hi All,

Which Ipad model are you using to read music and what advanatages will the new ipad have for handling music, what are you using to turn pages. There are mixed messages about the MPP I am getting and mines is going back for lock up faults and power battery performance, I don't think you can use the MPP without mains, the battery life is much too short.

Tony

I use a 32 gig model wi fi only. I purchased the Air turn for turning pages, works well, but not every pedal works with it, so I purchased the pedal as well as the blue tooth unit.

On the subject of the MPP I have had mine since November 2005 I've never used it just powered via the battery, but effective last August 2010 it will not run at all on battery, it needs power from the adapter. At this time I don't feel it's worth my while to send it in for battery replacment. But the unit still works fine via the power cord. It's been one very versatile unit, I have no complaints and it has paid for itself a few times over.

#317826 - 02/28/11 05:33 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi All,

Tony

I use a 32 gig model wi fi only. I purchased the Air turn for turning pages, works well, but not every pedal works with it, so I purchased the pedal as well as the blue tooth unit.

On the subject of the MPP I have had mine since November 2005 I've never used it just powered via the battery, but effective last August 2010 it will not run at all on battery, it needs power from the adapter. At this time I don't feel it's worth my while to send it in for battery replacment. But the unit still works fine via the power cord. It's been one very versatile unit, I have no complaints and it has paid for itself a few times over.

Thanks.

For that, I think the MPP is pretty low level tecnnology, the one I send back trips itself up when moving around the pages, it will lock up if you walk away from it and sometimes it will load sheets and then go back to the menu page, it's not file size I have got those down to an acceptable size. The batteries are not too expensive. How do you manager with the smaller screen I know the res is far better on the IPAD and you could not use the MPP outside in sunlight. What app do you use for the Ipad.

Regards

Tony

#317827 - 02/28/11 05:56 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Tony,

I've never had the trips around pages problem you were having and it has never locked up. I really prefer the larger screen on the MPP, but the iPad does the job, yes it's a little small but most of the tunes I play I've done time and time again, so despite the smaller size I'm just using it as a guide. I have not used the iPad outdoors for gigs. I use to play a patio every summer at a cafe located on a harbor, the MPP never worked there. I can tell you that last year when my wife and I vacationed we thought we'd be able to use our iPads to read books by the pool. We could not the print was too washed out unless you were in the shade and even with shade it wasn't easy to read. Bottom line was that for vacation we wound up purchasing a couple of paperback books for reading outdoors.

I use unReal book and am happy with it's performance. The developer is always releasing updates to the software each time improving it with the latest release. There is a setting in unReal book that allows you to re-size the lead sheets, once you re-size it when you re-open the sheet it remembers that last re-sized version. In all honesty, I'd be happier if they released an iPad with a screen about 2 inches larger, but even if they don't I find so many uses for the iPad that it wouldn't really matter all that much.

#317830 - 02/28/11 06:11 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
I'd be happier if they released an iPad with a screen about 2 inches larger, but even if they don't I find so many uses for the iPad that it wouldn't really matter all that much.
AMEN!!!!!

#317860 - 02/28/11 02:00 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Steve,

I have borrow my granddaughters Ipad tonight and loaded some music on, you must have better eyes than me, I think it's just a little too small, to read, I suppose if you had it on a stand full in front of your face it may be OK, like Mickey says it would be better a couple of inches bigger. I think the various tablets with windows 7 will be much better. I will wait and see what happens when the MPP comes back.

Tony

#317894 - 02/28/11 08:30 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I just upgraded to the latest MusicReader and worked on some different options printing from Sibelius and the initial results are surprisingly readable on the iPad. The proof will be when it works on a gig. I'll report when I've taken it out.

#317914 - 03/01/11 05:56 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

Tony, it's going to be important to scale any pdf's up to the edge of the display. If your music scan has got a decent sized border, that's going to reduce the size of the notation significantly. But yes, you are right... for traditional notation, it is still a bit small. But leadsheets and fakebooks don't need to cram so much into one page.

Your other option is to put it up in landscape mode, and then have the iPad display a half page at a time, and use the footswitch to scroll/jump down the half page. If UnReal Book can't do that yet, I am sure it's a pretty easy option to enable. That would certainly blow the chart up to actual size...

#317917 - 03/01/11 06:08 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Thanks Diki,

You are right about turn the IPAD into landscape, I looked at that and at that size it's about the same as the MPP, the only problem is when you have a fast piece, pages up and down and turning. Wouldn't it be nice if the music scrolled at the right speed to your playing, hell life would be so layed back I might take up drinking wine again. If you get a IPAD stand that puts the IPAD about 1ft from your face I think it may work on all music, maybe it's my eyes Diki, once with the Audya it was my ears. BTW I still have the Audya and the PA2X, the Audya has been no trouble for the last 9 mths, not too loud saying that.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Tony

#317918 - 03/01/11 06:17 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Stephenm52 Offline

Tony,

Not sure if it's posted on this thread or not but I use the iKlip I mount it on a mic stand then position just to the right of the screen on the Tyros4 at a an angle. It's a very low key and could almost appear it's part of the keyboard. I have taken some poor quality lead sheets and used Sibelius Student edition to re-write the lead sheets. When using those the size works out much better. I'll shoot you an e-mail with a sample.

#317919 - 03/01/11 06:20 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Stephenm52]
Tony Hughes Offline

Steve,

Thats great thanks for that, love the email if you could .

Kind Regards

Tony

#318573 - 03/07/11 11:52 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Thanks Diki,

You are right about turn the IPAD into landscape, I looked at that and at that size it's about the same as the MPP, the only problem is when you have a fast piece, pages up and down and turning. Wouldn't it be nice if the music scrolled at the right speed to your playing, hell life would be so layed back I might take up drinking wine again. If you get a IPAD stand that puts the IPAD about 1ft from your face I think it may work on all music, maybe it's my eyes Diki, once with the Audya it was my ears. BTW I still have the Audya and the PA2X, the Audya has been no trouble for the last 9 mths, not too loud saying that.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Tony

There is also an app called OnSong that "auto scrolls" the page according ot the tempo, or at a speed determined by the user.

It also reads most formats (PDF, DOC, JPG etc)...might eb wort a look at??

Dennis

#318579 - 03/07/11 12:07 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Offline

To be honest, Dennis, I am only interested in basic lead charts anyway, rather than fully written charts. Wouldn't use those even IF I had them!

I would have thought that, as long as there is a one stave overlap, that landscape mode's no different than paging back for a two page chart... footswitch it down and up, touch the hotspots for a page turn or multi-page repeat... I don't think I would even LIKE a page that gradually scrolled down. Part of reading is jumping from one stave to the next, and for that to be accurate, they have to stay still!

Maybe the developer might implement something like the bottom stave of the first landscape page being highlighted gently, so that when it appears on the top of the scrolled down landscape mode, the eye is confident that it's still the same stave?

#318597 - 03/07/11 01:06 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

To be honest, Dennis, I am only interested in basic lead charts anyway, rather than fully written charts. Wouldn't use those even IF I had them!

I would have thought that, as long as there is a one stave overlap, that landscape mode's no different than paging back for a two page chart... footswitch it down and up, touch the hotspots for a page turn or multi-page repeat... I don't think I would even LIKE a page that gradually scrolled down. Part of reading is jumping from one stave to the next, and for that to be accurate, they have to stay still!

Maybe the developer might implement something like the bottom stave of the first landscape page being highlighted gently, so that when it appears on the top of the scrolled down landscape mode, the eye is confident that it's still the same stave?

Yep, lead charts are all I use as well...Some are even just scans of my old hint cards (about the size of a postcard, with a few hint chords and lyrics).

I was only suggesting it to those who choose to use full dot sheets smile

I got it because it meant I could load up all my old Chopro charts (about 2000)...

LOL although to date I have not used it full on.. Only dabbled.

UnRealbook is the tool of choice !!

Dennis

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online