SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#315213 - 02/04/11 12:11 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
The iPad solution is looking better and better from what Dennis has been saying about UnRealbook. I guess, for me, having all the OTHER things that the iPad can do (on the road surfing, iTunes library, music apps like tuners, audio analyzers, even VSTi-type apps) trumps the slightly larger display of the MPP, and no doubt most of that's good features that haven't made it to UnRealbook are likely to be rolled into it as time goes on.

However, I'm going to hang back for a little while, until the iPad2 is shipping and the 'gotchas' discovered. In the meantime, I'm working on finding as many .pdf fakebooks as I can.

Perhaps, as these things get more powerful, a standardized code for music scanning and note recognition can be implemented on them, so that, instead of a static page, we get the ability to have the music displayed in any key if transposition is needed? I know at the moment, all you need to do is transpose the arranger and play in the book key. But it helps to have a TRUE transposition feature, just to keep facile playing in a variety of keys...

Heady times, that's for sure..!

#315214 - 02/04/11 12:14 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Online   content

BTW, just out of curiosity, Dennis...

What's the BEST feature from the MPP that hasn't made it to the iPad yet?

And is the developer working on it?

#315225 - 02/04/11 01:10 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Diki Online   content

Big as you can afford! I can see some of the loop apps chewing up memory if you aren't careful, and what's your current fakebook library size? Mine's a few GB. There are a couple of rumors about an SD slot, if true, that might solve THAT issue once and for all!

I don't know about the 3G plan, maybe iPad2 will be Verizon capable, and it might be a bit cheaper? I think April is touted as the most likely launch of the iPad2. As with most things from Apple, the second version is usually WAY better!

#315233 - 02/04/11 01:40 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
BTW, just out of curiosity, Dennis...

What's the BEST feature from the MPP that hasn't made it to the iPad yet?

And is the developer working on it?

Nothing Diki!! And I even had the pro package for the MPP, as well as the MP3 player addition. Yes it had a 12" screen, but the resolution was so poor, it NEEDED it!!! Plus it had sluggish response to taps, and was always, well, just generally "glitchy" without necessarily actually crashing.

The Dell XT2 Tablet was a step up from the MPP, and the iPad is a step up from the Dell.

Aron has Unrealbook going along nicely smile

One feature I am appreciating is the fact you can have all your fake-books loaded on if you wish, and you are able to "bookmark" whatever tunes you want to use.

So when one of these is used in a gig show list or wherever, UB immediately loads up that song only, not the whole fakebook...pretty neat. You can have as many bookmarked songs in any order from as many fake-books as you want.

In regard to iPad 2, well at this stage I have no real need for more storage than the 32gig I already have. I have only used approx 5 smile and that includes about 200 mp3's...

That, and the only hardware changes will be a SD slot, and an additional camera on the back!!

There will be NO USB port, even a mini, and still no Flash support either.

So for me, I won't be upgrading mine, but for those who do NOT have one yet, waiting for the 2 will be the way to go, especially as it is so close.

In any event there will be LOTS of cheap iPads for sale laugh

Dennis

#315234 - 02/04/11 01:45 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: BBBB]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
I too am trying to hold off on the IPad until version 2 is released. (April???)

Currently using MusicReader on MacBook Pro with Billi USB page turner as I like the databasing that it provides. There is a version of MusicReader for the IPad now and an update coming soon.

Question: if I did get an Ipad what size would you recommend 64 gig? My ITunes library is 22 gig alone.

I too was using MusicReader, but I have now switched over to Unrealbook. You should really check it out when/if you get an iPad.

Certainly beats the $40-55 we will have to pay for MR4, WHENEVER it finally gets released. I think they are having major issues with it.

It does not offer the same ease of use on the iPad as Unrealbook (I have been beta testing MR4 for the iPad and for the PC).

And now Aron has midi support it makes UB even better. You could already link a MP3 file to a chart, now you can link a MIDI as well.

Midi support is something that is a long way off for MR4 and Marco STILL has not found a developer who can add it to his iPad MR version!!

Dennis

#315235 - 02/04/11 01:47 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

There is also the Motorola Xoom being released soon, and it is rumoured to be the one that will finally knock the iPad sales..

Remains to be seen, but it does look a good unit. Only problem is the lack of apps, particularly chart apps on the Android system. But this may change if developers see Android taking off..

Dennis

#315269 - 02/04/11 08:38 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Dennis I really appreciate your comments on the Ipad, and in no way did I ever think you were referring to a yours is better than mine thing, rather you were pointing out the similarities as well as the differences of the iPad and MPP Pro.

I for one learned a lot from this thread, and believe it should be a part of the Arranger Forum. Why wouldn't it be?

The Motorola Xoom ...wow now something else to think about...

...along with one of these, directly from China:

Android 2.1 Tablet PC-MID-10.2" Touch Screen-ARM 11-Telechips 8900-800MHZ-256MB-4G-Wifi-G-sensor-Camera(SMQ5873)

All for about 200 bucks from Light In The Box

Edited by lahawk (02/04/11 08:57 PM)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315275 - 02/04/11 09:23 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Larry, those ones from China LOOK okay, but when you get into them they are not all that good...Cheap for sure, but for example they have lousy battery tech.

Most of them give a max of around 2 hours on battery, and thats in power saving mode...

Plus NONE of them have the new hardware that the coming brand new Android system needs, they are all Android 2.X and the new version of Android (the super duper version supposedly to match iOS 4.2), requires a different hardware platform.

Ergo none of the existing tablets will run the new version of Android.

This is another reason why a LOT of old hardware tech Android tablets are going really cheaply.

No-one yet, even Motorola, have got anything to match the Apple battery tech, 10 hours+ from a full charge..Proven.

I have done it on mine smile 10 hours, 36 minutes and some secs!!

I don't really know why other makers cannot get similar battery life, it surely cannot be all that difficult if Apple can do it.

Maybe it's because the iPad is designed totally by Apple, with all Apple components, rather than cobbled together with bits from many different sources

If any of the competing tablets get their displays and battery life worked out, look out Apple!!!

Dennis

PS: Larry thanks for supporting/agreeing with me that I was not trying any sort of "peeing contest" here. Jst trying to help folks out with info I have discovered smile

#315276 - 02/04/11 09:26 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Anyway, I am off to my first gig tonight using my new iPad MIDI interface system (Apple Connection kit and Edirol UM1sx) and the Beta version of Unreal Book 1.7....

I will post a note advising how it went, for those that are interested. For those that are not, well....., don't read it laugh

Dennis

#315292 - 02/05/11 05:24 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Dennis, When you post, also tell us how you actually set up for the gig and what you have to do to choose a tune then play it. I don't understand the MIDI interface thing ... When you choose a tune (MIDI), what actually happens?
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online