SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#315137 - 02/03/11 06:41 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Larry, in my view, the iPad makes up for any apparent lack of "viewable" screen area by having probably the crispest, brightest display around.

If you read my post you would have seen I WAS using a 12" laptop tablet, but the iPad is better, PLUS for when on stage, it does not have the big form factor of either a full laptop or a tablet laptop. SO looks better from an audience pov..

ymmv, but seriously, before you discount the iPad, physically use one and check it out. You may be surprised!!

Dennis

#315140 - 02/03/11 07:21 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks Dennis

I'll check out the Ipad...can't go wrong with an Apple product.
AND it's useful for other purposes. I've tried the laptop display thing, and it's awkward.

For the Ipad, do you save sheets in .pdf format?
Is it easy to turn pages?
I've heard there is a way of using a foot switch for paging.

Anyway...Amazon I'm there smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#315142 - 02/03/11 07:33 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Larry, I use all my charts in PDF, I think its become the "de facto" standard now.

All I do is either print from my PDF Fake Books if I want to use dots, or create my own chart using just a chord prog and prompt lyrics, I then use one of the "Print To PDF" programs and bingo there is my PDF file ready for transferring to the iPad.

Or your source file can be anything. Word .doc, or a txt, or a bmp or jpg... I have used all of em laugh to get the charts I need/want. They all come out pretty much the same, although the files based on images are not quite as "crisp". Although that said, I don't spend too much time worrying about the initial res either wink

I use an app called UnrealBook (I was using Music Reader) but UB is far easier to use on stage and it now has MIDI support (control file only) it will also allow the user to link an MP3 backing track to a chart, so th instant you pull up the chart the MP3 is also loaded nand ready to go!! Pretty Cool!

I also use the AirTurn Bluetooth footswitch, for those few tunes that do have multiple pages. Works well, and Unrealbook already has built-in support for it.

Dennis

#315159 - 02/03/11 11:03 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Ask Scott about this as he has used both the MPP and the iPad so will be able to give you some handson opnions on both platforms. He has already posted threads on using the iPad so just do a search for it.

#315160 - 02/03/11 11:42 PM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
miden Offline

Nigel if you read my posts you will see that I have used both extensively as well wink

Dennis

#315161 - 02/04/11 12:00 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: miden
Nigel if you read my posts you will see that I have used both extensively as well wink

Dennis

Yes you have Dennis. Your threads on this would be well worth reading as well for opinions.

#315179 - 02/04/11 05:31 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Well Tony and Jerry, your requests for tips on the Music Pad Pro that you already have, has turned into another "mine is better than yours" thread. Good luck . . .

#315185 - 02/04/11 07:27 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Well Tony and Jerry, your requests for tips on the Music Pad Pro that you already have, has turned into another "mine is better than yours" thread. Good luck . . .

Bob,

Frankly I don't give a toss what anyone else says about the MPP. I got it and I am going to make it work, my 10 year old grandaughter got an Ipad I bought it for her at Christmas, this is a big boys tool, don't give up on ME Bob, never mind the others

Thanks for the help so far, I will keep it to emails if you don't mind.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#315194 - 02/04/11 09:02 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Bob Hendershot]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot

What a ridiculous statement. This is not the case at all.
I am merely highlighting the differences, and as I have OWNED and USED all three, Music Pad Pro, Laptop and iPad, this would qualify as being able to make the comments I made.

Yes I agree with Tony, it would be best to keep your MPP "Tips" restricted to emails or move it to the Computer section of SZ, after all this IS the GENERAL ARRANGER forum....

#315197 - 02/04/11 09:12 AM Re: Just Bought a Music Pad Pro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
As I said in an earlier post, I have been using a monitor with my Ketron – an 8” monitor, not 10” as I originally said. As compared to the MPP, I like the smaller footprint and the fact that when I choose a song, the corresponding lyrics just pop up – no searching. However, the Ketron and my Korg only read text files, so no dots. The Korg does read scores, but I found that when I mute the lead track – and I normally do – the score does not display. If the Ketron could display PDF or any format that will display both notes and words – that would be the IDEAL (and ‘if a frog had wings …”). I like the idea of using an ipad – smaller footprint and all that , but as Tony implied, I’ve got to start where I am … I have the MPP and I don’t have an ipad, I may someday.
By the by, I don’t mind Dennis’ observations, I can learn from them. His may very well be better, let’s discuss it some more.
Incidentally, I don’t use the screws to fasten the MPP to the stand. I use Velcro so that I can use the MPP and monitor interchangeably. I also use a table top lamp clamp, rather than the floor stand, and fasten it directly to the stand that holds my module or the keyboard stand - when I use the keyboard.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online