SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#314925 - 02/01/11 05:31 PM Got my new mic today...!day...!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don gave us a heads up and I got my new white Peavey mic today....Musicians Friend deal of the day...$14.95-including shipping.

Thing is, it has an XLR to 1/4" connection. I asked Don and he said that, except for a long cable run, it would make little difference. Don got a cable with XLR's at both ends!

MOM ALWAYS LIKED HIM BEST!

Are we talking the difference between high and low impedance?
I forgot to ask Don (and I'm PISSED at him, anyway)...any reason to change out the 1/4" to XLR? The mic wouldn't look as good with a black cord. The white cord is no more than 15
feet long. I've never used a cord configured this way. I have two working PE 585's from the 70's that smell really bad, but work fine (screw in mic connection-1/4" PA connection)...but that's a whole different story!

I haven't checked the back...is the mic connection on an SD-5 a 1/4"? I've never run a mic through a keyboard.

Thanks,

RCL

Edited by captain Russ (02/01/11 05:40 PM)

#314932 - 02/01/11 06:42 PM Re: Got my new mic today...!day...! [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Is it a TS or a TRS 1/4", Russ? (mono or stereo 1/4")

If it is TS, it is probably a high impedance mike. And so, short runs ONLY. And it might be a hair noisier even at that. But for $15, if it sounds OK, how can you lose?!

Best thing would be to check the Peavey website (type in the model#). That ought to give you the specs..

#314933 - 02/01/11 06:44 PM Re: Got my new mic today...!day...! [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, it the SD5 has an XLR input, it's probably low imp. If it has a 1/4", it's probably high. smoke

#314953 - 02/01/11 09:32 PM Re: Got my new mic today...!day...! [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The SD5 input is XLR, but I believe it is a dual input and will take either size.
It would be a great mic cable for Yamahas, before T4 at least.
He who hesitates is lost Russ. Shoulda aster faster!
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online