SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#314821 - 02/01/11 06:15 AM Recording software question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Let's say I have wav or mp3 files on my computer, and I want to create an audio CD.
What software, preferably FREE, will do the most and do the best job?
I previously had Roxio, but it's not on my computer now. I have tried a couple of free ones, but they either expire, won't let me save ISO files, don't have much editing capability, etc.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DonM

#314830 - 02/01/11 07:17 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Don,

I use CD Burner XP...simple, easy to use, no hassles, and FREE.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

I use it to make all my Cd's, including the ones I sell.

Ian

PS...I'm using Windows 7...it works fine with it.

#314831 - 02/01/11 07:25 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: ianmcnll]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Don, I also use CDBurnerXP and it works fine. I haven't done anything fancy, just burn cd's. If you are talking about tweaking audio, that's another matter.

I don't know if it's the same these days, but in days of old, you are less likely to have read errors (by the user) if you burn at slower speeds. Which I do. However, burned cd's are always suspect to having play problems by some users. Of course, you could always tell a customer that you guarantee the product in case of play errors. My own 2008 Nissan Titan truck's player won't play burned cd's correctly sometimes. Makes me mad!

#314832 - 02/01/11 07:36 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll give you a call,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314833 - 02/01/11 07:38 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you’re using windows XP or later, it has its own CD Burning program built into the OS.

For editing, one of the most comprehensive free programs is Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Use the 2 in combination with each other and you should find they will do all that you require.

Hope this helps

Bill

#314838 - 02/01/11 08:11 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Let's say I have wav or mp3 files on my computer, and I want to create an audio CD.
What software, preferably FREE, will do the most and do the best job?
I previously had Roxio, but it's not on my computer now. I have tried a couple of free ones, but they either expire, won't let me save ISO files, don't have much editing capability, etc.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DonM

Don I have a great cd burner software that comes free when you buy a MediaStation.... dance

#314868 - 02/01/11 11:57 AM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Before you burn an audio CD, it helps to check out whether you have mastered your CD first...

Play a commercial CD, then play the audio files. Rip a track or two (or three!) from the CD as .wav's (many MP3 players adjust the volume of tracks, you don't want that this time) and play it in the same software you are listening to your tracks on. Try to pick something similar in vein to what you have done (oldies for oldies, jazz for jazz, etc.), and try to not play something mastered recently (no 'remastered' original recordings, as modern mastering levels are too high IMO and tough to match as an amateur).

Now, does your music sound MUCH quieter than the CD? If so, try getting hold of a limiter and compressor software (I'm not PC so probably can't advise, but just google it). There is supposed to be some decent stuff available as freeware or cheap software.

Try some of the 'gentle master' presets to start off, and see if you can bump up the volume without affecting the track much. Don't go overboard, close enough is close enough, but if you do this stage first, your CD will end up as a more polished package.

While you are listening and comparing tracks, that's also a good time to check for whether yours sounds overly bright or bassy compared to the commercial CD, and a hair of EQ can help out.

Don't skimp on the mastering, it's the icing on the cake!

(apologies if you have already done this stage, I just know so many people that skip it then wonder why their CD sounds so QUIET!)

#316490 - 02/14/11 01:10 PM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks guys, I'm back on this project.
DonM

#316518 - 02/14/11 08:06 PM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Great info Diki. Thanks.
Also, thanks to Ian. I've had the CDBurner software for years and forgot all about it.
I haven't recorded anything in ages....but if I do get a round tuit...I want to remember what you guys have said.
Eddie

Edited by btweengigs (02/14/11 08:07 PM)

#316582 - 02/15/11 02:15 PM Re: Recording software question [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Final stage of mastering involves 'programming'.... That's putting the songs in an order that flows naturally from one to the next... no songs with the same beat next to each other, or the same key to each other (if that can be helped), or essentially the same type sounds.

And then, it helps to listen to how each song ends, and then WHEN the next song starts. Most CD burning software allows you to put a variable gap between tracks, but will put a default 2 sec (or whatever it's set to) there if you don't alter it. Listen to at least the last third or so of a song (to get 'into' it) then listen to when the next song starts.

Does it seem too late, or rushed? There's a natural 'space' that the end of a song needs, a chance for you to digest what you heard, to relax from the beat etc., before the next one starts. But there is no hard and fast rule. Each CD is different, but you will often find yourself coming to the same conclusion after a couple of listens. the next song is often too early or late if you just use the default track gaps.

It's a small detail, but it adds a level of polish and listening pleasure on top of how good each individual track is. Software makes it SO easy to experiment with this, re-order your CD (and actually listen to it rather than guess whether each transition works), unless you are rushed beyond belief, it's worth the time it takes, IMO...

BTW, doing this can often make you more aware of whether a track is a HAIR too loud or quiet (it often depends on what tracks surround it). Adding or cutting a db or two at this point is usually fairly easy thing to do to the mastered file (with a limiter for gains) and adds a final level (!) of polish to the project...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online