SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#314625 - 01/30/11 05:40 PM OT -- Heart disease question (poll)
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Okay, all you wounded soldiers with heart disease... doing a bit of unofficial research here regarding chronic inflammation (not the lipid theory) being the cause of heart disease. What causes chronic inflammation? I wrote a long post but I'll spare you that. For now, I'm curious about something I came across recently... the bugs in our gut getting out of whack as we age, and that being the cause of chronic inflammation. And, there are fungal problems which can stem from within the gut... is there a tie to heart disease?

If you have heart disease... have you had trouble with fungal infections? (Ugly toenail/fingernails caused by fungal infection, jock itch, yeast infections, anal itch, etc.) I have had fungal problems and I know my dad did, too and he died of heart disease. His brothers died of it, too and I think they had toenail fungus, as well.

So, the poll is for those with heart disease.
OT -- Heart disease question
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/30/11 05:32 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#314677 - 01/31/11 03:40 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Bill about five months ago I went to the doctor
with what I thought was the flue.

I ended up in hospital to have a pacemaker.

My heart rate was 32 beats per minute.

It turns up that what I though was a dream of having dificulty breathing was caused by my heart stopping.

If I hadn't a healthy heart it would not have restarted and I would have been pushing up daisies.

I can remember having a virus Christmas 2010 which lasted for some time and I have almost got my doctor to agree that my problem could have been caused by a virus.

It is known that Ross river Fever caused problems with the heart.

With this experience and that of others that I know I think you could be on the right track.

Cousin Ken

Edited by Caragabal (01/31/11 03:43 AM)

#314679 - 01/31/11 06:57 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Uh-oh, I designed a flawed poll and now, I can't edit it. I should have clarified that I mean Coronary Artery Disease (atherosclerosis), not any type of heart disease. There are heart diseases that have nothing to do with plaque buildup.

#314685 - 01/31/11 08:31 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I wouldn't worry to much about it, Bill. Most people associate all heart disease with coronary artery disease because it's the most prevalent these days. Granted, some folks still suffer from valvular disease, ventricular herniations, etc..., but the incidence of these has become much rarer since the development of drugs to combat rheumatic fever and other inflammatory diseases that directly affect the heart.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314886 - 02/01/11 01:17 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So, what is a safe, no side effect treatment for fungal toenails?
Is there a magic soak solution?

I've had it since I was 10.
I wish it wold go away...and so does my wife!

#314892 - 02/01/11 01:55 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: leeboy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
So, what is a safe, no side effect treatment for fungal toenails?
Is there a magic soak solution?

I've had it since I was 10.
I wish it wold go away...and so does my wife!

I don't know if you can kill toenail fungus externally. I always had to get an oral drug prescription, but it did work. Ugly, ugly toenails become perfect!

#314909 - 02/01/11 03:52 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

How long did you take the drug?
Side effects?
Mine are pretty bad.

#314913 - 02/01/11 04:14 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A buddy of mine uses Listerine for treating foot fungus...he says it works very well, but takes a long time....but, so does the prescription medication.

Google it!

Ian

#314931 - 02/01/11 06:19 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
One of my sons had toe nail fungus problems. The doctor told him to use Vicks Vaporub. It work great for him. Got totally rid of it in about three months.

#314940 - 02/01/11 08:21 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
You already know what you have to do to prevent coronary heart disease: don't smoke, lose weight, exercise 40 minutes 3 to 4 times a week, eat healthy food, have regular blood tests, measure your blood pressure, don't stress and have a pleasant life. Not easy I know but that is completely proved to prevent vascular disease.

Bill I don't want to spoil your poll but you won't get much information out of this simple question and the result will be absolutely misleading and confusing. You won't know the patient's age, other cardiovascular risk factors like diabetes that is also a disease that may favor the occurrence of fungal infections.

There's been much said about "new" risk factors for cardiovascular disease (some very curious like low social status, poverty, depression, histerectomy etc) but most of these still need further studies and do not have neither strong or moderate recomendations.

In relation to the nail fungal infections you mention they are very hard to eradicate, taking several months of treatment so I always refer those patients to the dermatologist. I would suggest you don't try any antifungal drugs without medical consultation since they may cause hepatic toxicity.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#314949 - 02/01/11 09:11 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go to a health care provider's forum for information about how to play the arranger... wink

Might be better asked at WebMD or something like that. Gary is the only health care pro here, isn't he? Maybe he can suggest a site?

#314952 - 02/01/11 09:28 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually we have an Italian MD hanging out here too! Dreamer.
DonM

#314975 - 02/02/11 03:34 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
vagro Offline

I am a physician (general physician) so I thought I could help.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#314980 - 02/02/11 05:16 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: vagro]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
taz Try Dettol and a wire brush! lol Nah, a tablet sounds better to me hehe.

#314982 - 02/02/11 06:24 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Victor,

All good advice for living longer and healthier. Eating healthy, regular exercise, keep the weight down, etc.. all go a long way in preventing coronary artery disease. Unfortunately, most folks cannot, and will not follow those rules as strict as they should. Consequently, those arteries begin plugging up with fatty deposits that eventually turn into plaque.

Other factors, however, have recently come to light, some of which we have little or no control over. Genetics, of course, plays a major role. Additionally, some light has been shed on various inflammatory diseases that are believed to have a direct effect on the coronary arteries, causing plaque to rapidly form.

Keep in mind that most of us (synthzoners) are beyond the age where significant changes in life style will produce dramatic results and extend our lives. (Diki excluded!) If you're 60 years old or older and you have recently undergone bypass surgery or stinting, it's unlikely that you'll dramatically change your lifestyle and live 30 more years.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/02/11 06:25 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling error

#314988 - 02/02/11 08:29 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: vagro]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: vagro
I am a physician (general physician) so I thought I could help.

I didn't know that! However, I have read that many people with advanced degrees, including doctors, have musical backgrounds.
Now doc, about this rash . . . smile
DonM

#314991 - 02/02/11 08:47 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

Vagro,
Thanks you for the information. I have decided after a little reseach to:
1) Soak feet in Green tea first
2) Use Vicks Vapo Rub then put on socks for all night

Every night.
If it does not work I may go to Dermatlogist.

If it works I hope it's permenant.

And I am 62, so I am also tryng to do all thoe things you mentioned Victor..I want to be here a long while yet...got to see what all the new arrangers bring on a ongoing basis!

#315006 - 02/02/11 10:10 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My mistake, then. Some of us have been hiding our light under a bushel!

Now, why does it hurt when I type? computer

#315032 - 02/02/11 01:26 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: Diki]
vagro Offline

Hi Gary, I know it's very hard to achieve all those targets and it will even not be as effective after a certain age also. However it must be kept on mind that there are not magical solutions either. If an overweight patient comes to my office asking for a cure for his nail fungal problem in order to decrease his vascular risk I must advice it is more important his overweight problem. Actually I never read fungi are a new coronary risk factor yet, but I learn something new everyday smile

Lee
I'd like to know if that works!! I only know antifungal drugs and topical applications for the treatment of onicomicosis but sometimes there are other possibilities that the pharmacologic industry don't want us to know. Let me know if you improve in the next 3 months....and by the way you could record a video playing your Pk5 pedalboard with the naked feet as a proof laugh

Don
That rash wow.... check on your skin if you find those little bugs.... shocked

Tassiespirit
Good idea to try with Dettol and a wire brush. I will tell my wife she can try it on my nails after I'm gone wave

Diki
I understand so many things now I see how you hurt your head. A cerebral CT scan for you surprised

#315040 - 02/02/11 02:57 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

"Diki
I understand so many things now I see how you hurt your head. A cerebral CT scan for you surprised"

Doc got Diki! Doc got Diki! HEHEHEHEH smile

Actually, as deep a thinker as Diki is, his head HAS to hurt sometimes.
DonM

#315046 - 02/02/11 04:10 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: leeboy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: leeboy
..I want to be here a long while yet...

I want to be here for a GOOD time, not a LONG time.

smile

chas

#315048 - 02/02/11 04:21 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

chas,
Why not go for both...?
So good time with hope of a long time...

#315050 - 02/02/11 04:29 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

Only dull, boring people live a long time. If you live a really long time, it means you had a really dull, boring life. It's really true, honest.

chas

#315051 - 02/02/11 04:36 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: cgiles]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Only dull, boring people live a long time. If you live a really long time, it means you had a really dull, boring life. It's really true, honest.

chas

Haha, I think there is some truth in that.

#315055 - 02/02/11 05:12 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
leeboy Offline

I wander if you'll say that when your 60+...:-)
Actually it is not true...for some.
A lot of people I know and some I don't (just read about, or know about through others) are not dull, boring and they could not get done 1/2 of what they want to in 2 lifetimes. and they enjoy everyday.

I will agree it's not everybody out there.
I do know some that...well they don't have any Zest for life at all.

#315059 - 02/02/11 06:00 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

Every word out of my mouth is gospel.........usually.

smile

chas

#315060 - 02/02/11 07:37 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

chas

... well, dull and boring by whose standards ??? ... I don't think I've led a boring life, but I may find excitement where others do not ... wink

#315062 - 02/02/11 07:46 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... I don't think I've led a boring life

Well then you'd better hope my theory isn't true smile .

chas

PS: Tony, Tony, Tony, can't you tell by now when I'm just kidding around.

....although.........

#315070 - 02/02/11 10:05 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

Every word out of my mouth is gospel.........usually.

smile

chas

Hallelujah! Praise Chas!

I like those that aren't afraid of change (no matter how old they are), have a devil-may-care attitude, crack top-of-the-line bank safes (that's what they're there for), don't care to pay taxes, pack up and go whenever they feel like it, etc. These are my kind of people.

Taike

#315083 - 02/03/11 07:58 AM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: Taike]
vagro Offline

What a rebellion is taking place here!! duel

See... the human being behaves in a similar manner wherever he lives. We don't want to do the hard work, if there's a magical or easier solution we go for it , if there's not we say it's not worth living a long "boring" life.
In some way it is true: obsessive hypochondriac patients are very boring and many have a dull life
Of course it does not necessarily mean you'll become a boring person because you have a healthy life.

But don't forget: most of the patients that have had a very entertained and happy life smoke drink don't die so young but spend thier last decade of life with a portable oxygen device IF they can walk

#315098 - 02/03/11 01:17 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Victor, I fully agree. At 70 years of age I'm still able to do things that some 50 year-olds cannot, or as you say, will not do. Sure, I'll continue to eat fillet mignon, but I'll also be on the treadmill and weight bench tonight. Then I'll kick back, mix a tall Margaretta, watch some TV, than answer some email before going to bed and reading for a couple hours. The only outdoor exercise I get this time of year is shoveling snow, which is pretty strenuous when you consider what I have to clear each time the fluffy stuff falls.

Boring? Chas, you gotta' be kiddin' me. My life has been one, continuous, adventure, despite the fact I try to live a somewhat healthy lifestyle. In the short time I've been on Planet Earth I've been able to accomplish and do things that a lot of people only dream of doing. And, if I can manage to keep myself healthy, I'm looking forward to a lot more neat places and things to explore. Longevity isn't in the genes, but I'm hoping to break that nasty cycle by living to 108, at which time I'm hoping to be shot in the back of the head by the jealous husband of a 19-year old nymphomaniac while leaping from a second story window. wink (Gotta keep dreamin'.)

Unfortunately, most of the professional musician/entertainers I know, which is quite a few, have very few interests outside of music. They, IMHO, lead a pretty boring life.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#315111 - 02/03/11 02:45 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

You guys HAVE to stop CONTINUING to respond in a serious manner to something I said in jest, and then RE-EMPHAIZED in a later post, that it was only said in jest. Bill got it, and responded appropriately. My gosh, can there be NO room for levity on this board? Or possibbly, just no room for levity from ME?

THAT SAID, I'll try to be more sensitive to the things that seem to upset you. Further, I pledge to (in no particular order):

1. Take an arranger to work.

2. "Friend" Scott on Facebook.

3. Use more bends and scoops in my sax emulations.

4. Denounce Jazz and embrace Country (well, maybe later).

5. Include one doo-wop (for Donny) and one 'Sinatra' (for Fran) in my set list.

6. Acknowledge that Yamaha has no known flaws (and never will).

7. NOT show up at the next Shereveport 'jam' (Squeak can represent me).

8. Send Donny an autographed picture of me.

9. Vote for Sarah Palin in the Republican presidential primaries (how better to help the Dems smile ).

10. IMMEDIATELY report to the board the first sign of toenail fungus.

chas (the new me)

#315141 - 02/03/11 07:31 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

OK Chas. I'll try to pick you up on my next trip south, which will be with the sailboat. Just gotta' figure out how to get up that damned skinny river to your place. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#315144 - 02/03/11 07:36 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: cgiles]
vagro Offline

Chas please change your avatar for this one to prove your Devil is gone and we will believe you

#315145 - 02/03/11 07:48 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
cgiles Offline

Don't call our river (Chattahoochee) skinny. Actually Gary, if you ever got that sailboat of yours down here on beautiful Lake Lanier, you'd never leave. There are lots of beautiful sailing lakes around here, mostly built by the Army Corp of Engineers, but as you know, we're pretty landlocked as far as coastal waters go. Oh well. No shortage of Country music, though. And the folks are actually pretty friendly around here in the northern suburbs of Atlanta (about 80% transplants who couldn't take that icy northeast weather smile ).

chas

#315158 - 02/03/11 10:55 PM Re: OT -- Heart disease question (poll) [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
chas (the new me)

You crack me up Chas ... so damned funny.
rotfl
And hey, is your avatar pic an actual photo of you ??? lmao. laugh

#315190 - 02/04/11 08:15 AM Re: Chas' Facebook Invite ! [Re: cgiles]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

2. "Friend" Scott on Facebook.

I went to look for Chas' invitation but found: THIS shocked rotfl

#315230 - 02/04/11 01:27 PM Re: Chas' Facebook Invite ! [Re: Scottyee]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
I went to look for Chas' invitation but found: THIS shocked rotfl

Good one, Scott, but I'm a changed man now .

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online