SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#314116 - 01/27/11 11:51 AM Me doing a little chicken pickin'
Beakybird Offline

I make one obvious mistake in this song, Bye Bye Love. Otherwise, it highlights me taking advantage of a nice guitar voice and the vocal harmonizer on the PSR-S910.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXi6E4BE4qc

Thanks for listening.

#314124 - 01/27/11 12:57 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Larry, really enjoyed watching you perform this, as well as the other songs on your YouTube channel. I especially like your keyboard guitar emulation cool and engaging singing style. Not sure about the headset mic thing though, not only because it gives me the impression you're a telephone sales/sevice operator, but I think it's limiting your ability to "work" the mic to gain more vocal contrast (aka: proximity effect).

What I appreciate most is your genuine unassuming charm and rapport you've got with your audience. It's easy see why you're booked solid throughout the year. smile

#314127 - 01/27/11 01:32 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

Looked like you were having lots of fun with this one. Which vocal harmony type did you select on the keyboard? And, pay NO attention to Scott about using the headset mic--he's just jealous because he can't use one. wink

Scott, most of the guys I see using handheld mics may claim they use it because of proximity effects, but when I'm sitting just a few feet from them while they're singing I notice they usually pull away from the mic when stretching for high notes that are out of their range. They usually try screaming the note, and pulling the mic away at the same time so no one will notice they couldn't sing that high if their shorts were wound tightly with a pair of vice-grip pliers. Some guys can sing with a headset mic--some guys can't! There are a who lot of pro singers out there using headset mics. Larry is just one of them.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314139 - 01/27/11 04:04 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Larry...Nice work enjoyed it, sounds really good on the S910......I concur with Scott on the headset Mic..
I personally don't like or use them for myself.

Another thing I notices is the shaky One Brace X stand that would drive me nuts....i would recommend a "double brace" heavy duty one eg: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IQ3000/

Thanx for sharing your work.

#314140 - 01/27/11 04:13 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Larry....
Great job. Nice showmanship as well as command of your keyboard.
Eddie

#314142 - 01/27/11 04:34 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for listening.

It occurred to me that this wasn't a good angle of my performance in that the windscreen of the mic covers my mouth.

Overall, I'm happy with the CM311A.

I know that I'm not the greatest singer in the world, so my opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight. But I think that I have learned to sing better because I have a headset. I used to sing the higher notes much louder than the lower notes, and with the headset, I have learned to sing the higher notes just a little louder than the lower notes.

I like being able to look around the room while I sing or to have the crutch of being able to look at the keyboard or my fingers while I sing.

The vocal harmony setting, btw is Std Duet.

#314155 - 01/27/11 06:26 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... nice job ... thanks for posting it ...

#314158 - 01/27/11 06:36 PM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

DNJ never learned to use a headset mic either! wink He's an excellent singer, though. smile smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

#314196 - 01/28/11 07:36 AM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry nice pickin!! You've got that s910 singing.

I have the Crown 311a Headset Mic, although I liked the mic, at most of the venues I'm playing there's usually a grand piano in the room. The audiences I play to really enjoy some piano in between the arranger tunes, so I usually play a 10 minute set on during the hour long gig. I found myself getting tangled up in wires unhooking the headset to get to the piano.....so I stopped using it........... I don't want to invest in a wireless set up for the mic.

#314205 - 01/28/11 08:37 AM Re: Me doing a little chicken pickin' [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

I've been using the CM-311A for several years and I love everything about it other than it's comfort. The vocal quality has always been superb, no feedback, no breath sounds when properly placed, and the freedom it provides is incredible.

For a while I had a Samson AX2 Wireless system for the mic, which was probably the best wireless device I've come across in years. Unfortunately, Samson stopped making the compact receiver for that model and went to the larger, double antenna type, which takes up too much space. The biggest mistake I made was selling the AX2s (I had a pair of them) to DonM and EddieS--they won't sell them back to me. wink

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online