SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#31347 - 10/03/06 10:38 PM sd1 volume change
zzprod Offline

in the pattern edit screen with the sd1, if I use the velocity tab (f9) to change global velocity (+ or -), the level of the track drops. no matter what i do, i can't change it to a normal level, unless I erase the whole section.
i'm almost sure it is the volume that is being changed and not the velocity.
Is it a bug (os 4.c)? can someone tell me what's going on?
also, where do i save the main effects settings (f2 from the main screen)? reverb & delay types keep going back to default.
thanks
zz

#31348 - 10/11/06 10:32 AM Re: sd1 volume change
Tony Hughes Offline

ZZprod,

This is a slow old forum I bought a SD1+ last year with a manual that is something else, 90% I don't understand, I don't think I am on my own, you will see lots of threads with no answers, I think the Ketron owners world wide would fit on two school buses, some of the sounds from the Ketron are 1st class and I have no doubt if you spend a lot of time going through the pages and pages of screens you will get there in the end, I learn something new each time I play it, and then forget it, it's not easy, I might go back to a two keyboard organ, Roland etc.

Sorry I can't help with your question, bet someone answers my thread.

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 10-11-2006).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#31349 - 10/11/06 02:45 PM Re: sd1 volume change
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ZZ,
I have vers 4.b on my sd1+ & changing global velocities appears to work ok on my keyboard.
SD patterns appear to be recorded with fairly high velocity levels to start off with. If they're already recorded at velocities of 100+ , you may not notice that big a difference if you increase the velocity by just say + 10.
I just tried it with a couple of the bass patterns, increased it by 10, couldn't really hear much difference , decreased it by 30 to 40 & I could definately hear a difference.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zzprod:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31350 - 10/11/06 02:54 PM Re: sd1 volume change
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
lousy manual, & fairly complicated machine.
I learnt how to do a lot of the stuff that interested me in the early stages.

Got sidetracked with my softsynths, & now I can't rememember anything I learnt.
( probably just getting older & memory is getting poorer haa haa)

Depending on what you're trying to do,
always happy to try & help.

It is a slow forum.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
ZZprod,

This is a slow old forum I bought a SD1+ last year with a manual that is something else, 90% I don't understand, I don't think I am on my own, you will see lots of threads with no answers, I think the Ketron owners world wide would fit on two school buses, some of the sounds from the Ketron are 1st class and I have no doubt if you spend a lot of time going through the pages and pages of screens you will get there in the end, I learn something new each time I play it, and then forget it, it's not easy, I might go back to a two keyboard organ, Roland etc.

Sorry I can't help with your question, bet someone answers my thread.

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 10-11-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31351 - 10/12/06 05:51 AM Re: sd1 volume change
zzprod Offline

I'm not using any of the custom styles. i'm programing everything from scrach. anyway, the volume change problem had nothing to do with velocity change tab. i think the problem was the volume pedal. now when it is disconnected i don't have this problem anymore.
yes, the manual is hard to figure out and yes, the sd1 is very complicated because it has so many features. that's what made me buy it in the first place (and also the great sound quality of drums and bass).
My biggest problem with it is that it has those freezes, and then i must restart it.
about the effect tab (F2) I think every style records it's own type of reverb (global and drums) but not the amount (1 to 16). I overcome this by programing on user rev 1 a very short reverb for the drums that needs less reverb.

#31352 - 10/12/06 10:19 AM Re: sd1 volume change
Tony Hughes Offline

ZZprod,

I have had freeze ups and had to switch off many times, cypher are notes that stick on had those, had LCD screen scrambled had to switch of, god help someone during a performance, " hi all just got to stop the music for a sec until the Ketron catches up" I think there are a lot of software bugs, silly things that if people don't
report them they will never get fixed, the firmware must be complex and when I boughtit I should have noticed no one yes no one loads up with floppies, it won't be long before they are obsolete.

rikkisbears

I am with you, I think everyone loves that manual, mines under the leg of a wobbley table - Can you play Spanish eyes!

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 10-12-2006).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#31353 - 10/12/06 09:15 PM Re: sd1 volume change
rikkisbears Offline

Hi ZZ,
happy to hear you got it sorted out.

Strange, I don't think I've had mine freeze up.

Hi Tony,
I think I read it about 3 times in the first month or so , figured out most of the stuff I wanted to know about.
6 months down the track , haven't used it in a while & I've forgotten everything.

It is a great sounding keyboard though, so I've got the manual back out & I've got to try & remember some of the work arounds with style creation ( haven't got the talent to record from scratch), using audio loops & loading in samples. Didn't have a great deal of luck with the samples.

Unfortunately I can't play Blue Spanish Eyes, matter of fact ,i don't play anything too well, just a keen hobbyist.

best wishes
rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:

rikkisbears

I am with you, I think everyone loves that manual, mines under the leg of a wobbley table - Can you play Spanish eyes!

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 10-12-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#31354 - 10/12/06 11:40 PM Re: sd1 volume change
zzprod Offline

unfortunately my sd1 behaves more like Toni's. Rikki, what's your secret for a healthy sd1? how old is yours? what OS and EPROM? how many mbytes of samples do you load on start up?
mine is an old sd1 (not plus)with some buttons need to be cleaned but they all work, os 4.0c, eprom release 4.2 (ordered from AJ the new release, hope that will help), and I use about half of the memory with my favorite samples.

#31355 - 10/13/06 03:39 PM Re: sd1 volume change
rikkisbears Offline

Hi ZZ,
I got mine last xmas . It's got the original operating system 4 b & I think 5.4 ? eprom. I didn't update to 4 c.

I don't know how many mb's it loads on start up, again it's original sounds. I did play around with wav audio loops for styles & got that working. Even created a clarinet from the wav samples in a soundfont. Didn't sound as good as the onboard clarinet, but that may have been due to my lack of knowledge on how to manipulate the sample once it was loaded ie add effects etc etc I took the samples etc back out.
About the only thing I've added is a few user styles which I created for my Making Styles group, and they're only convervisions from other keyboards or or made using the copy function.
Unlike you, I haven't got the musical talent to create from scratch.

AJ's stuff sounds interesting..

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by zzprod:
unfortunately my sd1 behaves more like Toni's. Rikki, what's your secret for a healthy sd1? how old is yours? what OS and EPROM? how many mbytes of samples do you load on start up?
mine is an old sd1 (not plus)with some buttons need to be cleaned but they all work, os 4.0c, eprom release 4.2 (ordered from AJ the new release, hope that will help), and I use about half of the memory with my favorite samples.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online