SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#313206 - 01/20/11 11:10 AM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: TommyF]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Each new Roland, it seems like they massage the styles a LITTLE bit, so there may be a noticeable difference between the BK and a GW or Prelude. Plus, they now have a better Makeup Tools section (from OS2 on the GW) and a Cover Tools section on the BK, so massaging the styles to be even MORE the way YOU want them should be doable. I pretty much take for granted that I'm going to have to massage a ROM style anyway, so no biggie for me.

But if you expect Yamaha sound, or Ketron sound, or Korg sound, you are asking a bit much. Like asking one of THEM to sound like a Roland, if the truth be told. Each is its own thing....

#313208 - 01/20/11 11:16 AM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Hi Donny,
Yes, I am looking at using the new Roland Backing Module. It seems to me many of us spend a lot of money to play TOTL arrangers and most of the audiences I perform for could care less - it's the music and how it is played that gets their attention. So, as I get older(now 70) and often play 2 or three gigs a day I would like to lighten my load on gigs. Right now I am down to a Bose L1 Compact and my Tyros 4 plus all the supporting gear. Anyway, thought I would give it a try and see how it would work.

Hammer

Bill....I hear ya on the lighten the load thing but keep in mind.. more wired and pieces to hook up, won't be as easy to communicate with the pieces as it is with one arranger Kb.....and i would suggest you don't buy this module until you actually listen good to it as it is just the prelude/GW8 in a box and compared to the Tyros4 or what your used to regarding TOTl units will be much different......even then i would hook it all up in the store and try to seamlessly play a set or two to see if its for you.....yes it looks good in theory but in actual LIVE PLAY its much different......I've been this route a few times and nothing for me works better then ONE ARRANGER KB & LT.

Good luck

#313210 - 01/20/11 11:24 AM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny,
I totally agree - a really good hands on tryout is essential.
Hammer

#313216 - 01/20/11 11:50 AM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: TommyF]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Deane, you had an E50 for a while. Mine continues to satisfy my needs every time I use it. It took some work to set up OTS for the E80 and G70 styles, but it plays them all.
I expect the module to be comparable in sound and function, with a few modernizations.
DonM

#313226 - 01/20/11 12:14 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: TommyF]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If you're an auto accomp arranger style keyboard player that requires quick on the fly access to all the arranger buttons while playing I don't recommend going the module route. I used to use a Roland RA800 (module version of the G800) along with a 'Roland A33' or 'Fatar 1176' keyboard controller, and found the module impossible to optimally position for easy access of its arranger buttons when playing the keyboard controller. I think modules better suited for karaoke vocalists, and solo instrumentalists (guitarists, horn players, accordionists, etc). A 'one piece' arranger keyboard unit's the best option imo. smile

#313228 - 01/20/11 12:22 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: TommyF]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There's an FC-7 input on the BK-7m. Seven switches you can assign to whatever you need for foot triggering. Plus the unit seems small enough to mount right over the keyboard you are using to trigger it, and the layout seems to put all the main buttons you need on fairly big buttons, right at the front of it. Take a look at the layout, again, Scott. Things seem a LOT better than those old RA units (I had an RA90 for years) ever were.

I am not sure that this is really the right thing for someone that wants to use a controller and JUST this, as you say, might as well go for a regular arranger, but for someone wanting to add an arranger capability to a nice WS, or MIDI guitar, or MIDI accordion, etc., it's a well tested form factor.

#313251 - 01/20/11 01:45 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Donny,
I totally agree - a really good hands on tryout is essential.
Hammer

Bill.....you dont want to end up like this with gear!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nux-PNYdtc

#313254 - 01/20/11 01:54 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
If you're an auto accomp arranger style keyboard player that requires quick on the fly access to all the arranger buttons while playing I don't recommend going the module route. I used to use a Roland RA800 (module version of the G800) along with a 'Roland A33' or 'Fatar 1176' keyboard controller, and found the module impossible to optimally position for easy access of its arranger buttons when playing the keyboard controller. I think modules better suited for karaoke vocalists, and solo instrumentalists (guitarists, horn players, accordionists, etc). A 'one piece' arranger keyboard unit's the best option imo. smile

Scott,
I used the Ketron Midjay for a long time. It was pretty easy to position it to where you could easily access all controls; if fact it was easier than reaching them on some arrangers.
This Roland module should be even easier because it is smaller.
Also, you should have full midi controller from the controller keyboard, plus the foot controller and pedals.
I am going to try one for sure. Subject to changing my fickle mind of course!
DonM

#313257 - 01/20/11 02:08 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Scott,
I used the Ketron Midjay for a long time. It was pretty easy to position it to where you could easily access all controls; if fact it was easier than reaching them on some arrangers.
This Roland module should be even easier because it is smaller.
Also, you should have full midi controller from the controller keyboard, plus the foot controller and pedals.
I am going to try one for sure. Subject to changing my fickle mind of course!
DonM

could be a good match Don with the Behringer UMX610 61-Key USB / Midi Controller Board

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX610.aspx

#313277 - 01/20/11 04:42 PM Re: NAMM 2011: Roland Arranger Module? [Re: TommyF]
DonM Offline

I already have an Edirol PCR-800 that works great. Like Scott, I had an A33, but sold if for some reason which I don't remember. It had 76 keys, but the PCR-800 has 61.
Haven't tried a Behringer, but I seem to remember that George Kaye said they weren't that great.
DonM

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online