SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#313976 - 01/26/11 08:19 AM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: vangelis]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: vangelis

now only a touch screen and 512 User Ram,

Just wondering what you need 512mb of user ram for?

#313985 - 01/26/11 10:41 AM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I find my Audya 76 everything I had hoped for and more, and I haven't even begun to delve into live drum and guitar substitution etc. etc.

The reason I don't keep raving about mine, as Don M say, is that the features are well known by now. I was lucky that mine had no problems but posting always brings on the "yeah buts".

Yes, it is a lot for a keyboard, but it is sure worth it for me.
Bernie

#313987 - 01/26/11 11:01 AM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
Originally Posted By: vangelis

now only a touch screen and 512 User Ram,

Just wondering what you need 512mb of user ram for?

Exactly Tony they should have at least 12G on board Ram wink

#313988 - 01/26/11 11:15 AM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Bernie9]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I find my Audya 76 everything I had hoped for and more, and I haven't even begun to delve into live drum and guitar substitution etc. etc.

The reason I don't keep raving about mine, as Don M say, is that the features are well known by now. I was lucky that mine had no problems but posting always brings on the "yeah buts".

Yes, it is a lot for a keyboard, but it is sure worth it for me.
Bernie

Lucky you Bernie...you have the real one, two punch...not sure what the correct order would be..Audya or G70.. cool

You have the unsurpassed editing of the G70 with make up tools to boot...and a smart harmonizer for easy use..on the G70.....and the great audio drums, bass, guitar on the Audya that makes the styles the best...

Both of these instruments are the best live sound today..

I agree ..no sense reminding folks how great these boards are..those that own them...already know......So let the limelight shine on the new Korg's and Tyros4 ...for now... smile

Edited by Fran Carango (01/26/11 11:17 AM)

#314011 - 01/26/11 01:19 PM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yikes! 512MB not ENOUGH RAM? And just exactly how much are you using now? eek

Akai samplers were the industry standard for years with as little as 32MB RAM.

Rampant 'spec-itis' once again. There's MUCH more to a sampler than just the size of its RAM. How fast it loads, maybe? Or how much third party sounds are available? Not much point in 12GB if you can only buy about 512MB from the store (don't kid yourself that making great usable instrument multisamples is anything but almost the hardest task in music).

You want 12GB of samples online instantly, go buy a Kronos. It's the ONLY thing with this in hardware. Or get an MS or a Receptor, etc.. All of those will set you back at least $3000. Added TO your current arranger price (nothing gets added for free!).

You want it ALL, you want it NOW, and you want it FREE...!

And you probably wouldn't use it if you had it. I repeat... How much of the RAM on your CURRENT arranger's sampler are you using? Got it maxed out all the time, maybe you have a point. But I bet you aren't..!

#314024 - 01/26/11 03:38 PM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Diki]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
The S6000 had 256K which was way ahead of it's time, I currently have 64 megs (PA800) and that is not enough, why would 1 gig add thousands to the price? the year is not 1985 but 2011 and components have become very cheap we pay for R&D not components.
At the way the musicians salaries are going, and the economic crises, looks like we we will upgrade less frequently.

#314047 - 01/26/11 08:41 PM Re: LIVE IN YOUR FACE DRUMS not Important anymore? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You meant 256MB, I'm sure.

The real problem starts because arrangers have closed architectures, and not exactly computer-fast data pipes. Sure, you can have 1GB of RAM, but, as in the T3 that had this, load-up time was HOURS. Simply not practical.

Until a whole new generation of embedded systems and chips becomes available to manufacturers (and by then, computer systems will address so much so quickly that it STILL won't make you guys happy!), the speed of loading the RAM becomes a bigger consideration that the total RAM.

And, particularly in the Yamaha's example, even though you could have a GB or 2 of RAM, Yamaha had very few sounds for sale. If you bought them ALL, I doubt it would even make a dent in that GB...

The T4 has introduced FLASH RAM, which mitigates the problem of load up (only have to do it the once) but it's expensive (and miserly compared to the MoXF's) and they still don't have what anyone would call a good selection of sounds for it. And, knowing Yamaha, just as they have done in the past, whatever works for the MoXF won't probably load and play in the T4.

The Left Hand of Yamaha absolutely REFUSES to shake hands with the Right...!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online