SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#312868 - 01/17/11 03:52 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Korg's have a chord track, too. (EDIT... It seems they may have dropped it on newer Korgs, anyone confirm? They USED to have it, I remember that)

Thing is, they are all 'step input' systems. Very slow, compared to just playing the chords in. All Chord Looper/Sequencer systems (OK, just Roland and Korg, so far!) allowed you to STORE a chord 'loop' once you played it in. Admittedly, it would be nice to have some editing capability, too, but if you goof, it's not much hassle to replay it. If you are doing it for composing purposes, you can slow down the tempo radically to give even the most clumsy of players enough time to think what's next, I would have thought.

I still don't know the details about Korg's system, but on the Roland's at least, you always had the option to record the chords alone, or WITH their fill and variation changes. Best of BOTH worlds.

I would doubt that Korg have DROPPED their chord track and simply replaced it with the Looper. Bet you BOTH methods still exist...

Edited by Diki (01/17/11 03:57 PM)

#312870 - 01/17/11 04:18 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Dennis,
I have the same questions an MANY more as well....I guess we need some patience...
BUT I want to know now!!..
There....I feel a little better.
Lee S.

#312875 - 01/17/11 05:07 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
leeboy Offline

Diki,
On the current PA2XPRO...they have backing sequence (quick record) in sequencer mode. It allows you to recode your performance using styles.(unlike full PRO level 16 track sequence mode)
It records everything you do on the arranger section and realtime tracks live. Quick & easy to do. 2 grouped tracks are recorded....Kbd/PAD and Chord/ACC (Chord accomanyment)....that grouped track records style commands and chords.

The neat thing is after 'SAVING' they are recorded in tracks 9-16 so then you can edit itif necessary and get to each track.
Until you do a save you can selectively re-reocrd using play, mute, record parms for the Chord/ACC track and fix any problems real easy. The same is true of the KBD/Pad track.

So, very flexible as you can re-record only the Chod/ACC track or the KBD/Pad track to fix any performance errors...OR go to full sequencer mode and micro edit everthing..including re-recording any single track.

That's what we currwntly have...Quick Record is super and I guess the Chord/Acc track is basically the same as a chord track??

From the demo I saw...looks like the Chord Looper is a way of just do the chords and play over them using both hands after the chords are there. Could be pretty useful.

Lee S.

#312896 - 01/17/11 09:33 PM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: leeboy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well that sounds pretty much like a Chord Track, then. If you can edit it, then get it to generate a new accompaniment sequence after editing, I think that's what arranger-yes-pc-no wants.

Mind you, I think his insistence on staying away from the computer radically restricts what he can do if he is into song creation. Programs like Ableton Live take the looper/synth/DAW into areas that even the Korg Chord Looper can't even come close to touching. I am just not sure why some are so technophobic about computers on the one hand, yet determined to do basically the same thing on a hardware keyboard that makes the exact same task 100 times harder...

#312945 - 01/18/11 09:44 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
leeboy Offline

Diki,
I have explained it on here before....
I do think the new so called chord sequencer (looper) is nice as it provides a quick way to just do the chords. Then when you play..on top of the chord sequence you add your own fills, breaks, RH ect using BOTH hands. I think it is more of an important feature than some folks might realise.
Playes that have used a chord sequncer will understand it's value.

#312946 - 01/18/11 10:07 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: leeboy

Playes that have used a chord sequncer will understand it's value.

It is a great feature...I had a Roland E-70 that had it, and it was pretty useful.

Would be nice if Yamaha added it to it's next TOTL/MOTL arrangers....maybe with the pressure from Korg having it, will give them the incentive.

Ian

#312947 - 01/18/11 10:10 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have over a hundred songs sequenced on my keyboard. I perform on the street, coffee shops, retirement centers etc. It does sequence the fills and variations. As the song is playing back I can also use the fill button, do variation changes, use fade and most other features (changes) that I want to do at a particular time on the fly while performing. However, it does not change the original sequence. I don't understand the term "looper."

A friend who told me about the sequencer on this arranger before I purchased it, later told me that the sequencer on the newer model Korg's weren't as flexible or as easy as my i30. So that is why I still use the i30. The sequencer is a necessity to me. I can't spend hours sequencing a tune.

I can change a bar in the middle of a song by just holding the chord and hitting the record button and turning it off immediately. At that bar, I can also go back again hit record and add a fill variation change etc.

Any way I'm elated with my sequencer. I also perform with BIAB tunes. The people are listening to my sax playing and don't care what is in the background. The same with vocals. I get complements but not for my keyboard playing. I don't claim to be a keyboard player. I'm still striving to be Dexter Gordon.

#312948 - 01/18/11 10:25 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, the way I read it - a chord sequencer is something that plays a sequence of chords. Easy to understand for me!

#312949 - 01/18/11 10:33 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
perhaps 'chord loop sequencer' would be most accurately descriptive. cool

#312950 - 01/18/11 10:39 AM Re: Chord 'Sequencer' is the wrong name. [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Aw... what's in a name, anyway? It's a useful feature and we all know what it does!
smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online