SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#312542 - 01/15/11 11:38 AM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Scott, it is true...The Mid-East, asia, etc buy TONS of the PA because of some of the unique featues they need. Mostly the PA800. Go to You-Tube & put in Korg PA800, the demos won't be Frank Sinatra!
If you talk USA, UK etc...Yamaha would be much more than Korg.

Can't say...but it is the same person that gave me the specs on the new PA3 weeks ago. And you notice I only said...get ready it's coming. Let's put it this way...he's not in Kansas!

It's real easy to forget about all the rest of the world, no matter here you live.

Lee S.

#312544 - 01/15/11 11:41 AM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: leeboy

Quite honestly it is the sounds that really matter to me in the end...my gosh...the features in th PA2 were pretty darn complete.

If they did't get the sounds I like/need right...the I will get a T4. I love the depth, editng and all the PRO features of the PA....but I will not comproise the sounds. Not again.

Lee S.

Sound is probably the most basic of reasons why we buy...new features are great, but we can do workarounds regarding the lack of them...sound, however, has to be great to begin with.

I think the Korg has really added some great features, and, at least on paper (or specs), it appears the sound is also improved....but, as you say, hearing it and playing it in person will be the deciding factor for those who want excellent sound as the most important feature.

Not being a vocalist, I rely on useful and very playable sounds for my gigs.

Ian

#312545 - 01/15/11 11:44 AM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
Absolutely true..Korg has no entry level machines...I would love to have just a nickel for every Yamaha keyboard of any kind sold. :-)

I am only talking MOTL and TOTL arrangers.

By the way...one reason I am re-evaluating the Korg vs Yamaha is the fact that so many Korgs players are non-US. Many are superb musicians...but I don't have anythig in common with them as to music...so the commorodery is not there. And maybe the T4 sounds are more suited to what I play/enjoy?? Not sure yet...I'll have to see how the PA3 sounds.

Maybe I can have more fun and commorodery with th Yamaha gang?

Lee S.

#312552 - 01/15/11 12:16 PM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: leeboy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
.By the way...one reason I am re-evaluating the Korg vs Yamaha is the fact that so many Korgs players are non-US.

Perhaps the "BIG" attraction to Korg (and Ketron) arrangers, especially by the middle eastern market, is because they produce 'oriental versions' of their arrangers. I believe the last Yamaha produced oriental arranger was the PSR OR-700. What makes the 'oriental' arranger unique are it's Arabic drum-kits & Arabic instrument voices, and it's unique on deck 'set of buttons' which allows you to conveniently change the scale tunings.

Interestingly enough, one of my middle eastern musician friends has recently shown me how to turn my Tyros 4 into a middle eastern 'oriental' keyboard by assigning the various middle eastern scale tunings to reg (1-8) and importing custom middle eastern drum-kit sampled instruments. I believe once more middle eastern musicians discover this, they'll be drawn to the Tyros 4 as well. Bottom line, I believe Tyros 4 a most versatile instrument suited to many many styles of music, from music studio production to on stage performance. smile

#312577 - 01/15/11 01:50 PM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that it's probably a case of Korg users, rejoice! Everyone else that already had decided against Korg PA2, the difference isn't radical enough. Which is fair enough, because, bottom line, if you didn't like the T3, you probably don't go ape over the T4, either.

With pretty much ALL keyboards coming out with new product that has at BEST 10% new stuff in them (samples and styles), who in their right mind honestly expects anything radical and game-changing? Not only would it cost a FORTUNE to produce, it would alienate all their existing customers that DO like the previous product.

I am going to be disappointed if Korg have only managed to come up with a tiny few DNC sounds for the PA3. To be honest, it's this feature alone that can get then into parity with Yamaha, at least for RH sounds. They have the technology, to not leverage it is shortsighted. At LEAST matching Yamaha's SA2 count with genuine NEW sounds recorded specifically for the feature would seem to be necessary, or they are STILL playing 'catch-up'. And yes, 50 NEW styles is paltry. If it is backwards compatible, which apparently it is, they should ALL be new, and users can load in their old favorites as needed. When you are behind in a race, that's the time to try HARDER, not coast...

Maybe things will turn around for me this season down here on the Oil Coast... I know I always said 'first out with a CS, I get it', but honestly, most of my work these last two years has been live band and studio, so it's not as big a deal as it used to be. But I have a close friend who will be getting one for sure. His entire ACT revolves around them (he's a great two fisted player) to the point that, while he has a G70 and a GW-8, he STILL gigs on a G1000 or G600, just for the CS. So, at least I'll get to try one when they come out...

I am amazed at the feeding frenzy that goes on whenever any new product is thrown in with the sharks at NAMM. How many times have you seen something that got torn apart based on a few lousy NAMM demos turn out to be a pretty decent piece of kit? I blame overly optimistic (blue-sky high, to be honest) expectations from people that SHOULD know better..!

C'mon, man! What was the LAST thing you ever saw in a keyboard that was UTTERLY new, different and game changing from it's previous model? For me, it was probably the DX7... And that's a LONG time ago!

#312583 - 01/15/11 02:09 PM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Dnj]
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
"Game changers" do not come arround very often, simply because they are milestones that cost a fortune to create, and they are supposed to set the standard for many generations to come. Usually they make "mini game changers" that show off new technology to test the waters. Anyone remember the Yamaha VL series? Also Yamaha is a larger corporation than Korg, they will be a lot more hesitant to do new things - and they produce so much more than just keyboards - keyboards are probably only a tiny fraction of their revenue. I also think that this NAMM was pushed on Korg USA and they might not have been ready for it. If the PA3X was scheduled for a April release, maybe the demos were planned for the Musikmesse instead of NAMM. I have seen many other demos by the Korg guys where they were far better prepaired. Steve can actually make Michael Voncken look like an accountant when he is in the zone. wink Also if Korg is talking about creating a style store, and want beta testers for the OS - that tells me that the final PA3X is far from finished, and we might see even more minor features when it is officially released.

#312585 - 01/15/11 02:16 PM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Bachus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Bachus
.....go for a KRonos and then add an Audya 4 for style play, or even better after the Musik messe the new Groove module brought to us by James...

Truer than you think Bachus...

Oh and the Groove XR, strictly speaking is NOT be brought to you by James, or Irish Acts et al.

There has been a business collaboration between some folks to create a new company to build and create the XR.

More details at MusikMesse, but suffice it to say, it has been re-built from the ground up. Brand new up to date componentry. New and updated audio output stages and amps. Brand new PCB designs and construction.

The new XR is really going to turn a lot of heads....I don't want to sound like I am a fanatic, I'm not, but this XR rack, apart from the Kronos, is the first thing in a long time to get me really excited about a coming release. Even to the point of pre-ordering, sight unseen!!!

James IS contributing very heavily, and is providing all the ORIGINAL (fully created by Irish Acts Studios) sample base. Of course all the usual Giga Sample capability will be there too.

But for me, getting a full sound-set created by James is worth the "price of admission!!!"

Anyway, keep it on your diaries to check it out when MusikMesse arrives.

I cannot say much more than that. But check this link for a lot more info..... http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57931

Dennis

#312586 - 01/15/11 02:21 PM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have Korg done something similar to Yamaha and allowed for protected style formats then? Opening a 'style store' to style creators, without copy protection is of no more use than whatever marketing opportunities style creators already have. If the style can be copied and emailed to another user, that's 90% of the revenue GONE. Whether Korg handle the transaction or the creator does it himself...

And if Korg want to send me a PA3, I'll beta test the bejeezus out of it for them! They aren't getting it back, mind you... wink

#312629 - 01/16/11 01:35 AM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: leeboy]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Scott, it is true...The Mid-East, asia, etc buy TONS of the PA because of some of the unique featues they need. Mostly the PA800. Go to You-Tube & put in Korg PA800, the demos won't be Frank Sinatra!
If you talk USA, UK etc...Yamaha would be much more than Korg.

Can't say...but it is the same person that gave me the specs on the new PA3 weeks ago. And you notice I only said...get ready it's coming. Let's put it this way...he's not in Kansas!

It's real easy to forget about all the rest of the world, no matter here you live.

Lee S.

Asia - Incorrect

KORG SELLS MOST IN MID EAST (TURKEY/GREECE/ARABIC COUNTRIES/BALKANS AND EAST EURO COUNTRIES), THEIR LOCAL STYLE SOUND SUPPORT IS GREAT.ALL MOST ALL ARRANGER GIGERS/SMF PLAYERS HAVE KORGS(USED TO BE ROLAND IN THE 90'S).

EXCEPT FROM INDIA (AND NEW CHINESSE PA 500 VERSION) THE REST OF THE ASIA IS DOMINTAED BY YAMAHA - THAI/MALY/INDO/V'NEM AND PHILIPPINES AND OF COURSE JAPAN TOO. THEY PLAY WESTERN (NOT COUNTRY) TYPE POP AND BALLADS IN GENERAL.

HOW EVER MID EAST ( AND EAST EURO FOR A MINOR PART)MARKET IS MORE THAN 50% OF OVERALL AND KORG IS NOT WILLING TO GIVE TO YAMAHA. YAMAHA'S OR VERSIONS FAILS TO COMPETE WITH KORG MAINLY DUE TO LESS PUNCHINESS AND UNABLE TO LOAD SAMPLE DATA PLUS LACK OF LOCAL STYLE SUPPORT.

US/CANADA WEST EU AND MOST ASIA - YAMAHA
MID EAST/EAST EU - KORG

IT'S ALL ABOUT STYLES. KORG HAS MORE 9/8s WRITTEN FOR THEM AND YAMAHA HAS MORE 4/4s WRITTEN FOR THEM .FOR WESTERN STYLE USING GIGING MUSICIAN (NOT THE SMF PLAYER) YAMAHA IS REGULARLY CHOSEN.

TYPE PA SERIES IN YOU TUBE - 90% OF THEM WILL BE MID EAST USERS.
TYPE TYROS OR PSR - 90% WILL BE WESTERN (NOR COUNTRY)MUSIC STYLE PLAYERS

EVEN THOUGH KORG HAS OVERALL PUNCHINESS/LIVE SOUND /BETTER HARDWARE - THEIR 4/4 DEPARTMENT MUST BE IMPROVED TO STEAL THE MARKET.

#312631 - 01/16/11 02:50 AM Re: NEW KORG PAx3 VIDEO DEMOS Here [Re: jamman]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: jamman
[
IT'S ALL ABOUT STYLES. KORG HAS MORE 9/8s WRITTEN FOR THEM AND YAMAHA HAS MORE 4/4s WRITTEN FOR THEM .FOR WESTERN STYLE USING GIGING MUSICIAN (NOT THE SMF PLAYER) YAMAHA IS REGULARLY CHOSEN.

TYPE PA SERIES IN YOU TUBE - 90% OF THEM WILL BE MID EAST USERS.
TYPE TYROS OR PSR - 90% WILL BE WESTERN (NOR COUNTRY)MUSIC STYLE PLAYERS

EVEN THOUGH KORG HAS OVERALL PUNCHINESS/LIVE SOUND /BETTER HARDWARE - THEIR 4/4 DEPARTMENT MUST BE IMPROVED TO STEAL THE MARKET.

i'M OFCOURSE TALKING ABOUT STYLE THIRD PARTY SUPPORT.

WITH THE PA 3X (4 FILLS WITH AUTO FILL BUTTON ) HOPEFULLY THE GAME WILL CHANGE.IF ALL YAMMY STYLES WILL BE CONVERTED WITH CORRECT FILLS (THAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH 800/2 X -3 FILLS/BREAK BUTTON )AND THAT MEANS YOU'LL HAVE A BOARD WITH BEST OF BOTH WORLDS IF YOU SPEND ENOUGH TIME TO RE TWEAK THE CONVERTED STYLES.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online