SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#311239 - 06/12/10 09:22 AM Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi all.
Is there a way to turn up the back-light for the screen? I find that it's set rather dim right now and I've not been able to see any settings to adjust it.

If not, then I assume my B-Stock unit has seen some serious usage.

Regards
James

#311240 - 06/12/10 01:35 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi James,

No your screen is not faulty. These are a TFT screen and as such have a fixed luminosity.

This is one hardware item I have never been truly happy with, although I did get used to it.

I found having the keyboard stand arms set so the keyboard tilted downward slightly makes a bit of difference. I also have a couple of wedges I use when using a keyboard stand that only has fixed level arm supports.

My latest is a modified music stand, where I modified the mounting bracket on the rear of the 20" LCD monitor I have, to actually fit onto the music stand. Works really well.

BUT downside is the monitor is too big to use on stage.

I did find the smaller 10" LCD monitors fitted nicely on the Lionstracs Music rest. And they had a nice low profile which meant they were not as "visible" when performing.

And indeed I was going to use one of these live, just before I sold my MS last year in frustration !!!! LOL, I also sold the small monitor too, darn it!!

Dennis

#311241 - 06/12/10 05:38 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

Thanks Dennis.

Still kind of wondering if it's normal though or has back light has faded form very long “on time”. It's brightness is about only 30% of what my OASYS display illuminates at.

Even my little Net book with it's 9 inch screen is extremely bright in comparison.

Regards
James

#311242 - 06/12/10 05:54 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi all.
Is there a way to turn up the back-light for the screen? I find that it's set rather dim right now and I've not been able to see any settings to adjust it.

If not, then I assume my B-Stock unit has seen some serious usage.

Regards
James

I am surprised that a sceen of that size does not have adjustment somewhere, maybe a pot somewhere or software.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#311243 - 06/12/10 06:56 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.

Still kind of wondering if it's normal though or has back light has faded form very long “on time”. It's brightness is about only 30% of what my OASYS display illuminates at.

Even my little Net book with it's 9 inch screen is extremely bright in comparison.

Regards
James

Mine was fairly dim from day one (compared to my LCD and LED screens) James, so I just got used to it.

In fact I remember when I first turned it on, looking for about 15 minutes for some sort of dial, switch or software control

I even sent an urgent email to Domenico asking if there was perhaps something wrong with it. He explained it is a TFT and as such has no contrast or brightness control.

Dennis

#311244 - 06/12/10 07:19 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Mine was fairly dim from day one (compared to my LCD and LED screens) James, so I just got used to it.

In fact I remember when I first turned it on, looking for about 15 minutes for some sort of dial, switch or software control

I even sent an urgent email to Domenico asking if there was perhaps something wrong with it. He explained it is a TFT and as such has no contrast or brightness control.

Dennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XDJZX3E45U

I think you should ask Dom again how the display is adjusted it must be somewhere.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#311245 - 06/12/10 07:56 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

Thanks Dennis.
Interesting, so yours is exactly the same.

Tony's points are also dead on too though. There has to be away to adjust the brightness because it's so dim that it must be running in a reduce state.

I have a VIAO laptop that came with XP and when I switched over to VISTA the Fn keys would not adjust the brightness because it was all software based.

It could be something silly like that here. Any idea's what make and model screens we have ?

Regards
James

#311246 - 06/12/10 08:03 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

Ok it's a G084SN01-2.

Must see if there is software or a pot that can be adjusted.

Cheers
James.

#311247 - 06/12/10 08:12 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

OK scratch that idea. The spec on this is 150 to 200 cd/m² which is about what I'm seeing.

It is what it is.

Cheers
James.

#311248 - 06/12/10 10:52 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Bachus Offline

Quote:
OK scratch that idea. The spec on this is 150 to 200 cd/m² which is about what I'm seeing.

It is what it is.

Cheers
James.

Do you know if Dom is still using this screen on the newer units or of it got replaced by a brighter one?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#311249 - 06/12/10 11:30 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Ok it's a G084SN01-2.

Must see if there is software or a pot that can be adjusted.

Cheers
James.

James,

Maybe this is the cheapest screen known to mankind and does not adjust at all, the vga socket for the external screen will no doubt adjust, or the external screen will, after all the 9" touch screen will be the most expensive bit of kit in the MS for Dom to buy in!

#311250 - 06/13/10 02:40 AM Re: Screen Back-light
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Yes, is possible now setting the contrast and the all display features with the PCIExpress VGA card, BUT: need to connect one small OSD PCB controller.
the OSD PCB controller is the same as the standard TFT display, where give the key: SETUP, Auto ADJ, +, -, Enter.
On the Groove Keyboards on rear side we have included ONE small witch for make the Auto Adjust TFT, BUT on MS cases ( developed many years ago) do not give one hole available for insert this AUTO Adjust switch.
Also on new Groove is not developed for support the 5 switch setting, just one in replace of the VGA out connector of the PCIExpress Card.
On request, I can shipping the OSD controller BUT then you have to open the TOP of the MS for make the setting.
After saved the new settin remain on Eeprom status.
Before we shipping the PCIVga, we just run it and auto adjust for the first setting, this is enough.

#311251 - 06/13/10 02:59 AM Re: Screen Back-light
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
Yes, is possible now setting the contrast and the all display features with the PCIExpress VGA card, BUT: need to connect one small OSD PCB controller.
the OSD PCB controller is the same as the standard TFT display, where give the key: SETUP, Auto ADJ, +, -, Enter.
On the Groove Keyboards on rear side we have included ONE small witch for make the Auto Adjust TFT, BUT on MS cases ( developed many years ago) do not give one hole available for insert this AUTO Adjust switch.
Also on new Groove is not developed for support the 5 switch setting, just one in replace of the VGA out connector of the PCIExpress Card.
On request, I can shipping the OSD controller BUT then you have to open the TOP of the MS for make the setting.
After saved the new settin remain on Eeprom status.
Before we shipping the PCIVga, we just run it and auto adjust for the first setting, this is enough.

Domenico maybe on MS you can use one of the PCI card hols for that switch you used on Groove, if is possible.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 06-13-2010).]

#311252 - 06/13/10 06:03 AM Re: Screen Back-light
Irishacts Offline

Hi Domenico.

You mention contrast, but we are talking about the actual brightness of the Back Light.

Does this OSD controller modify the actual brightness of the back light?

If so this is something I would like to have because the display is very dim. Would any controller work here or do we have to use the very specific one that you didn't include with the screen?

Kind Regards
James.

#311253 - 06/13/10 11:55 AM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Yes I would like the controller as well.

It could easily be mounted inside the case with a small mod to enable exterior control.

Dennis

PS: On second thought, and re-reading your post Domenico....I already have the new nVidia PCIe card you sent recently....

I did use the Auto Adjust button attached to it. Is THAT the control you refer to?

Is there some other control we can use to increase the brightness?

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-13-2010).]

#311254 - 06/13/10 12:55 PM Re: Screen Back-light
AFG Music Offline

Domenico,James,Dennis:

if possible maybe you can use one of the PCI card hols, becouse on MS is only one PCI card hol used.

#311255 - 06/13/10 01:13 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Yes I would like the controller as well.

It could easily be mounted inside the case with a small mod to enable exterior control.

Dennis

PS: On second thought, and re-reading your post Domenico....I already have the new nVidia PCIe card you sent recently....

I did use the Auto Adjust button attached to it. Is THAT the control you refer to?

Is there some other control we can use to increase the brightness?

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-13-2010).]

Dennis,

Take it easy this could end up with Franks hammer and chisel on the job, cheaper to buy a dimmer and turn to room light down.
Will mine of all the bells and whistles, I have warned our local power station to get ready with another generator on standby with all those LEDS when I turn the MS on.

Cheers Dennis

#311256 - 06/13/10 01:51 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AFG Music:
Domenico,James,Dennis:

if possible maybe you can use one of the PCI card hols, becouse on MS is only one PCI card hol used.

Yes AFG it could, but I would discount them as the are too big for the size of the reset button. It is a very simple matter to drill a small correct sized hole on the far left (looking from front) where there is ample room both inside and on the rear panel.

As I said in my postcript to my last post...I may not need to as perhaps this reset control is already on the pcie express Nvidia card I just bought and installed, a couple of weeks back.

In that case its a "once only" reset button as the settings are then stored in bios after the one press.

Dennis

#311257 - 06/13/10 01:53 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Dennis,

Take it easy this could end up with Franks hammer and chisel on the job, cheaper to buy a dimmer and turn to room light down.
Will mine of all the bells and whistles, I have warned our local power station to get ready with another generator on standby with all those LEDS when I turn the MS on.

Cheers Dennis

LOL!!! No need to take it easy...I have a very good idea of what I am doing Tony

Having refurbished a few PA1s and a Pa2x...And converted a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, to a 73 note keyboard....and modified quite a few other things....

Creating a small hole for such a control is a walk in the park

Dennis

#311258 - 06/13/10 09:14 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
LOL!!! No need to take it easy...I have a very good idea of what I am doing Tony

Having refurbished a few PA1s and a Pa2x...And converted a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, to a 73 note keyboard....and modified quite a few other things....

Creating a small hole for such a control is a walk in the park

Dennis

Dennis,

Have you any photos of the PA2x with the top off, I have one, just interested,whats the build qualilty like, appears to me they are all missing a set of hinges, photos of the MS show bits of wood to hold the top up.

Regards

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 06-13-2010).]

#311259 - 06/13/10 10:03 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Quote:
Dennis,

Have you any photos of the PA2x ????

Regards

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 06-13-2010).]

PA2x or MS?

Domenico has lots of pics at the website. THe blocks are specially designed to hold the top panel together with a front timber support.

Don't forget, the Tyros series do not have hinges either And you get NO other support devices with them.....

Dennis

#311260 - 06/14/10 12:35 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
PA2x or MS?

Don't forget, the Tyros series do not have hinges either
Dennis

Dennis you can't put hinges on plastic, anyway the hard drive on the tyros comes out the bottom.

Thanks Tony

#311261 - 06/14/10 01:26 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

Quote:
Dennis you can't put hinges on plastic, anyway the hard drive on the tyros comes out the bottom.

Thanks Tony

So does the MS

#311262 - 06/14/10 02:29 PM Re: Screen Back-light
AFG Music Offline

Dennis if Toney buy a Groove 7 the hard drive is inside Case, not out the bottom like MS.

maybe i am wrong, so wait for Domenico

#311263 - 06/14/10 02:36 PM Re: Screen Back-light
miden Offline

So the Groove is different then...cool, I did not know that.

That is a backward step in my view. The access to the hard drive on the MS is good.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-14-2010).]

#311264 - 06/14/10 02:51 PM Re: Screen Back-light
AFG Music Offline

becouse Groove 7 is very compact, the only way Lionstracs could use, place the harddrive vertical and make a hole on the back side of the case for Plug module.

#311265 - 06/15/10 10:16 PM Re: Screen Back-light
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
So the Groove is different then...cool, I did not know that.

That is a backward step in my view. The access to the hard drive on the MS is good.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-14-2010).]

Dennis,

I am an engineer; I have taken the top of my Audya a number of times and when you lift the top off you scratch the back of the KB where the two edges meet, if you do it on your own there is no other way of avoiding this. I have seen the blocks of wood under the MS, I just thought for a couple of bucks some hinges would stop this and if you allow the top to fall away from the bottom and the cable rip out of the sockets your dead in the water. Getting at the HD in the Audya is a pain and someone who is not good with their hand brain co-ordination could end up with a pile of scrap. I don't think it's going to happen, but the MS and the Groove are like a PC, I need to take the case off mine every now and then and blow out the dust on the fan blades to get the efficiency back up to new, the MS and the Groove will do the same. Just a thought Dennis, looks like the Audya is still mine, going to have 3 KB now, do they do a triple KB stand, hell I'm like Diki 5ft 4" how I will I reach the top one, and Dennis which will be the TOP ONE PA2X,Audya or the X7. In latest, cutting edge technology order. Answer on a postcard please.

Dennis how do you get to the HD on the MS? I have done a Powerpoint for the Audya, can you do one for the MS it would be helpful.

Tony

#311266 - 06/21/10 01:34 AM Re: Screen Back-light
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

I am one of these who like a screen with LOTS of light...dim screens put me off, I remember my Kurzweil K2000 keyboard, great instrument, but the screen was ridicolously dim, and even more light in the room didn't help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online