SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#310933 - 05/21/10 01:26 PM help with WinSCP
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Okay, here is my setup..

I have a seperate modem (ADSL) connected to a Netgear 4 port router.

My main PC is connected to the router, my sons Xbox and PC are connectd to another 2 ports, and my MS is connected to the fourth.

I have tried the ipconfig applet in the cmd window (running Windows 7), but for some reason I cannot find the MS connected.

I also tried running the ip addres, but adding 4 at the end, as the MS is the fourth in the network, but now joy.

Could someone please spare me some time to go through step by step how to set it up so I can transfer disk to disk?

Thanks,

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-21-2010).]

#310934 - 05/21/10 03:04 PM Re: help with WinSCP
Bachus Offline

Is your router setup for DHCP or fixed IP adress?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#310935 - 05/21/10 03:18 PM Re: help with WinSCP
miden Offline

Not sure, but the ISP says I have a dynamic IP address.

Thing is I can SEE the xbox and the other PC..

I do know that on the Xbox I had to set it manually, but I cannot find any such function within Linux...

#310936 - 05/21/10 03:35 PM Re: help with WinSCP
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Dennis

1. Go into the routers settings page and see if the MS is recognised and has been assigned an ip address.
2. Make sure the Network name is the same for all computers and the MS
3. Make sure the MS is set to allow file sharing and you have at least one shared folder. (Windows includes a shared folder as standard)
NOTE: You will need to enter the password to access Windows 7 (Unless you have disabled it)
NOTE 2: The computer does not assign an ip address to another computer unless the other computer is directly connected to it, and is set up to work this way.
NOTE 3: If you can access your Xbox and the other PC from your Windows 7 computer, then the problem will be with the setup on the MS.

Hope this helps, however an MS user will be better able to inform you of the correct settings for the MS. (Linux is more convoluted to setup then Windows, but not too bad these days (Just be thankful you don’t have to use the Linux versions that were introduced in the 90s, as they were a pain in the backside to set up (I spent many a long night getting them to work, as the Linux community was very small then so there was not much help available)

Bill

BTW: Although I almost always use Windows, (Due to it still being more flexible then Linux as well as being better suited to the none techie) if you wanted to make Linux your main OS you could do, as it will do most things even if it means using WINE. (However if a manufacture does not release their hardware specifications to the Linux developers (So they can’t make drivers for it) then you are stuck. (Can’t remember the last time I didn’t have a version of Linux on one of my boot partitions)

#310937 - 05/21/10 04:05 PM Re: help with WinSCP
miden Offline

Thanks Bill, sorry I was delayed getting back..

The routers settings page as on the web? IE the default IP for the Netgear router?

Dennis

#310938 - 05/21/10 04:17 PM Re: help with WinSCP
miden Offline

Got it now Bill..thanks.

I ws trying to login with the wrong IP, checked the Netgear using online login, and found the correct #...

Cheers
Dennis

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online