SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#310798 - 05/16/10 07:29 AM Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Domenico.
Just putting this here because it's going to get lost in the thread it where I found the problems.

1: With the changes you made to Linux Sampler you forgot to add a value of 1 to everything Linux sampler sees in the LSCP file. For example, 0 0 0 is program 1 and not program 0 as Linux Sampler now sees the sound. As a result of this, every single GM sound is now in the wrong place.

2: There is a mistake in the LSCP file. There's no “MAP MIDI_INSTRUMENT 0 0 103 GIG” sound at all even listed.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-16-2010).]

#310799 - 05/16/10 07:54 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Hi Guys.

If you replace your existing LSCP file with this one CLICK HERE this will get your GM bank working correctly again and patch the missing sound.

Regards
James

#310800 - 05/16/10 09:46 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Guys.

If you replace your existing LSCP file with this one CLICK HERE this will get your GM bank working correctly again and patch the missing sound.

Regards
James

thanks James

#310801 - 05/16/10 12:15 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thanks James..I was trying a few style edits last night and I thought some sounds were not quite right..

I thought it was just me making an error in loading the sound...

Cheers
Dennis

#310802 - 05/17/10 01:19 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

A little update.

Just imported the Lionstracs main GM bank into my program and ran a scan on it for errors. There are 76 giga files in the folder that are not even referenced in the LSCP file, and there are some sounds in the LSCP file that are referenced, but there are no giga files for them. Some sounds are even listed twice in the same program slots.

It would take ages to sort out all this by hand so I'm writing a script that will rename every file in the library and sort it all out.

Domencio, I'd highly recommend replacing your GM library with what my script ends up generating. It's going to be smaller in size too as old files that are not even in use are cut away.

Regards
James

#310803 - 05/17/10 01:54 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
AFG Music Offline

great and nice work James

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-17-2010).]

#310804 - 05/17/10 02:05 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Quote:
A little update.

Just imported the Lionstracs main GM bank into my program and ran a scan on it for errors. There are 76 giga files in the folder that are not even referenced in the LSCP file, and there are some sounds in the LSCP file that are referenced, but there are no giga files for them. Some sounds are even listed twice in the same program slots.

It would take ages to sort out all this by hand so I'm writing a script that will rename every file in the library and sort it all out.

Domencio, I'd highly recommend replacing your GM library with what my script ends up generating. It's going to be smaller in size too as old files that are not even in use are cut away.

Regards
James

Thanks James, also will the script also remove the patches with no sounds assoicated, or simply mark them as remapped or similar?

Dennis

#310805 - 05/17/10 02:15 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

As a different issue with 4.2, I have spent the last two days trying to get the LiveArranger engine to work properly...

When I try to run it, it keeps opening several desktops with each panel on a different desktop, so I ahve to try and close it (which takes some time, and sometimes a full reboot) when I try to load styles it just freezes the program and the MS.

Although WHERE the styles are supposed to come from I dont know, as the Website makes no mention of what styles Liver Arranger is accessing.

And it would be nice if LiveArranger could run WITHOUT the MS styles workscreen behind it. Makes it very confusing to work with.

I know Dom has been away in Bologna for a festival so maybe he will be back live today??

Dennis

#310806 - 05/17/10 03:41 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Thanks James, also will the script also remove the patches with no sounds assoicated, or simply mark them as remapped or similar?

Dennis

Hi Dennis.

It does a number of things.

It reads the LSCP file and checks to see if the actual giga files the LSCP file is referencing exist. If they do it then starts to rewrite the LSCP file and it renames all working samples. It gives them very organised names that makes it easy to know what your working with even if your just looking at the raw file names.

If there is no file found but it's referenced in the LSCP, the script removes the line of code from the LSCP file.

If it finds files that are not in the LSCP file, it moves those files to a different directory so I can review them and decide if they are worth actually putting into the LSCP file.

Regards
James

#310807 - 05/17/10 03:52 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Quote:
Hi Dennis.

It does a number of things.

It reads the LSCP file and checks to see if the actual giga files the LSCP file is referencing exist. If they do it then starts to rewrite the LSCP file and it renames all working samples. It gives them very organised names that makes it easy to know what your working with even if your just looking at the raw file names.

If there is no file found but it's referenced in the LSCP, the script removes the line of code from the LSCP file.

If it finds files that are not in the LSCP file, it moves those files to a different directory so I can review them and decide if they are worth actually putting into the LSCP file.

Regards
James

Thats wonderful James...You really know your stuff my friend

And this is making it so SO much easier for us "programming challenged" folk

Definitely several pints of Guiness in this one m8!! Or a dram or two of a nice 20yo single malt perhaps

Hey, did you get your soundcard issue (headphones) sorted?

Dennis

#310808 - 05/17/10 06:26 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Never fails to impress how a few hours of coding can save days of manual work while also avoiding human error. A few hours to write the script and it takes only 5 seconds to process every file & line of the LSCP file.

Here's a printout of the official Lionstracs GM bank processed by my script and LSCP Gen.
CLICK HERE

Ver 1.0 of LSCP Gen will also contain Bandstand fully populated into the program.
CLICK HERE

Quote:
Definitely several pints of Guiness in this one m8!!

lol.... When beer is involved I'll hold you to that

Quote:
Hey, did you get your soundcard issue (headphones) sorted?

No. I would have to buy one of the new boards if I wanted to solve the problem. It's something I might consider in the future but right now it's the least of my worries. It's not easy being self employed in a recession. There's very little programming work available and the studio is very quite. Seems all I do lately is silly jobs that take up too much time and offer far too little pay for what I have to do. Still... I'm thankful of what I can get and don't ever want to focus on the negative side of all this. Hopefully things will get better soon though.

Cheers
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-17-2010).]

#310809 - 05/17/10 06:43 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Great work...Yes a little bit of programming can save HEAPS of time ...

I was just never mathematical enough to learn it all

Any idea of when the LSCP v 1.00 will be ready?

Dennis

#310810 - 05/17/10 06:46 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Quote:
It's something I might consider in the future but right now it's the least of my worries. It's not easy being self employed in a recession. There's very little programming work available and the studio is very quite. Seems all I do lately is silly jobs that take up too much time and offer far too little pay for what I have to do. Still... I'm thankful of what I can get and don't ever want to focus on the negative side of all this. Hopefully things will get better soon though.

Cheers
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-17-2010).]

Yes that is something we forget about a bit out here in OZ, we have been well insulated against most of the GFC due in part to our already strong economy before, some good government policies aduring, and the massive $'s coming in for all the minerals exports.

You guys in Europe are really doing it tough. I don't think Greece will be where it all ends either, sadly.

Dennis

#310811 - 05/18/10 05:41 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
A little update.

Regards
James

really a good job James, compliments!
Listen, I suggest to make some more nice...
May you update/replace some of my own giga GM sounds that you think will sounds better and then RAR the whole new soundbank ( including inside one copy of the new LSCP file) ?
Then I can release officially for the all MS/Groove users as new standard giga GM sounbank.
I need this also for develope the all new Audio styles, that the sounbak will be compatible with the all new styles.
Read also my last email...

#310812 - 05/18/10 06:37 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
May you update/replace some of my own giga GM sounds that you think will sounds better and then RAR the whole new soundbank ( including inside one copy of the new LSCP file) ?

I'd love to, and I will be doing this for myself soon as I get ver 1.0 of LSCP Gen finished, but it would be impossible for me to share the library due to the fact that the content I will be adding will come from a wide range of commercial libraries.

Quote:
Read also my last email..

Ok will do. Just so you know, if you see me online and I'm not answering emails that's because I'm likely on my Laptop and not my NetBook. I've only setup my mail on my Netbook simply because I get more work done that way when I'm working on my Laptop

Regards
James

#310813 - 05/18/10 06:55 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
LIONSTRACS Offline

Quote:
Ok will do. Just so you know, if you see me online and I'm not answering emails that's because I'm likely on my Laptop and not my NetBook. I've only setup my mail on my Netbook simply because I get more work done that way when I'm working on my Laptop

Regards
James

ok, no prob about the library
Maybe you can just browser from my big library folder and copy some more interesting sound to include/update the sounbank.
In this way you will be in safe without stress.
Just choose you the best sounds and ADD...
cheers

#310814 - 05/18/10 06:57 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Great work...Yes a little bit of programming can save HEAPS of time ...

I was just never mathematical enough to learn it all

Any idea of when the LSCP v 1.00 will be ready?

Dennis

Should have it online by tomorrow night. I'm just writing the code for one last function right now that organises the library.

For example... right now when you add sounds to LSCP Gen they are displayed on the table in the order you add them. So unless you add them in order like Program 1,2,3... and so on, the table would get very messy looking and you would find it hard to visually see what you have added and haven't added to all the program numbers. It would make it quite hard to see if your using all 128 program number for example.

Now that does not matter any more. You can add the sounds in any order you want and at the press of a button it will scan the entire database and reorganise all your sounds. All the instruments will be grouped together and sorted by Program number followed by variation number.

So for example... all sounds assigned to Program 1,2 and 3 will be displayed together like so.
Program 1 Variation 0
Program 1 Variation 1
Program 1 Variation 2
Program 1 Variation 3
Program 2 Variation 0
Program 3 Variation 0
Program 3 Variation 1

And so on....

Same goes for all the drum kits. If you scroll down past Program 128 all the drum kits will be organised in the same way at the bottom of the list.

So regardless of how you assemble your bank or if you add more sounds to progarms at a later date, a single press of a button and the entire table is organised by Sound type, Program Number and Variation number.

Everything will always look very neatly displayed and you will never feel out of control when dealing with a large library of sounds. Cool huh

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-18-2010).]

#310815 - 05/18/10 12:28 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

So James cna you explain to me the program system on this LSCP?

I mean, I know fully well, programs and banks and the methods in determining them in MIDI, but this LSCP is a different beast altogether.

I have noticed on those PDF's that you had varying programs (indeed there were some had the same program number, but a different instrument??) and variation numbers.

Where did they come from, or how are they determined?

Thanks
Dennis

#310816 - 05/18/10 08:10 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.
lol... I'm not sure myself because Linuxsampler.org it's very poor for explaining how things should be implemented.

So what I”m doing here and I hope I'm right is....., basically if you take Program 1 for example, you can assign 128 sounds to that slot by using the variation option.

So program 1 variation 0 would be say... Piano.
Then program 1 variation 1 could be another sound.
And so on.... all the way up to variation 127. 0 to 127 = 128 slots.

Then you have program 2 all the way to 128 for more sounds. Each with a possible 128 variation slots.

The idea of just doing it this way is because the GM banks are divided up into categories so if your going to add lots of sounds, you can use the program numbers and variations slots to have your sounds displayed in the categories you want.

For example, it would be silly to add a Trumpet sound to program 1 variation 1 since that's the category for Piano type sounds.

Regards
James

#310817 - 05/18/10 09:08 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Thanks James, and that makes sense to me...BUT how is it displayed on the patch select screens on the MS?

And how do you access them via either Rosegarden, or Qranger/Tractor? TO use them in say, midi files...

You get what Im saying dont you? I want to be able to access these "higher bank sounds" and have them embed into midis.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, the Rosegarden sequencer, and Qranger seem stuck on one set of 128 sounds...

Maybe Dom could shed some more light, but as he has sadi before MIDI is nto his strong point, now if it were TCP stuff, no worries.

I am still waiting to hear how we could use the Behrginger FCB 1010 pedal...And of course thats the other thing not in Linux, Sysex messages...

I am really trying to find ways to make the MS, the go to workstation for everything...And on paper it SHOULD do pretty much everything apart from final mixing and engineering..

Dennis

#310818 - 05/18/10 09:28 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

I am just downloading the Linux Sampler for Windows, so I can start having a play around with it..

I will run it as a VST under Sonar, and see how it goes..

Dennis

#310819 - 05/19/10 05:07 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Hi Dennis.

The sounds will be displayed the same way they are right now. If you look at the first page of sounds in the piano category for example you can see the program numbers and variation numbers underneath the name of every sound. There are already a number of sounds using the same program numbers, but they make use of the different variation numbers to allow them to take up the exact same program slot.

I also did some reading on linux sampler last night and basically what they are doing is merging MSB and LSB. So in theory a single program can have 16384 slots for additional sounds.

The way I've implemented this though you only get 128 slots per single program. So you can have a maximum of 16384 patches in a single bank.

Can't comment on Rose garden though. Haven't even loaded that program up yet. All my free time has been spent on writing LSCP gen and to be honest, I'll be glad to get if finished and released today. I'm very tired and need to unplug and rest.

Regards
James

PS... If your running Linux Sampler on your PC the results may vary as to how it sees the names of the sounds. LSCP gen is written for the Lionstracs OS and the changes Domenico made to Linux Sampler.

#310820 - 05/19/10 01:01 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Thanks James, I am using it more to have a play around with tweaking the gig sounds more than a anything else.

I will DEFINITELY be using your LSCP to fully construct my LSCP for the MS...

Dennis

PS: Yes I was at the Linux sampler forum reading about its bank and patch information, and I agree I think thats the method they use.

I won't know until I use it fully within sequencing work, whether I think its better or worse than the traditional MIDI system, or just different.

But it does look interesting

#310821 - 05/21/10 07:16 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
LIONSTRACS Offline

ok, the first OS42 update is available on the gFTP server
the file is: currentOS42.rar
extract and replace the old current located:
usr/mediastation/current

Test it if now the sampler GM GIGA and COMBI GIGA GM is working.
LSCP seem now work the old one, but test there too.
let me know

#310822 - 05/21/10 07:41 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Irishacts Offline

Excellent...!!!
Thanks a million Domencio. Looking forward to testing this.

Thanks for the speedy response in getting this up too.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-21-2010).]

#310823 - 05/21/10 07:46 AM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
LIONSTRACS Offline

Speedy...well..you know...is hard to develope..microcontroller..dsp..embedded...X86.

Now we are merging some NICE!! ( a TRUE dream for the all others keyboards..is a promise! )

#310824 - 05/21/10 12:01 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Thanks Dom,

Couldnt sleep so I got up early (its 5am here). Was a nice surprise to wake up to

Dennis

#310825 - 05/21/10 12:25 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Dom, there may be an issue with the update.

Now there is no sound audio output from the Live Arranger. All else is working. Giga, VST, midi player, audio player...

Also, why is it that even when I select another desktop, 3 5 6. whatever, the live arranger ALWAYS defaults to running on desktop 1?

And it is displaying each of the components (setup section, volumes section etc,) as seperate panels? I will do a screen capture and send you an email..as I do not know how to embed pics here on SZ...

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-21-2010).]

#310826 - 05/21/10 12:30 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
LIONSTRACS Offline

Quote:
Dom, there may be an issue with the update.

Now there is no sound audio output from the Live Arranger. All else is working. Giga, VST, midi player, audio player...

Dennis

Live Arranger do NOT have audio outputs, only midi outs.
Check in the midi I/O setup if is still connected on the sampler.
I have also a new update again...
now the Os will run up the livearranger without rename it to livestyler:
/Presets/LiveArranger/LiveArranger.exe

Also included another 2 sounbank.lscp script, now we can run up a total of 6 differents LSCP sounbank
Later I wil upload all again

#310827 - 05/21/10 12:47 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
Live Arranger do NOT have audio outputs, only midi outs.
Check in the midi I/O setup if is still connected on the sampler.
I have also a new update again...
now the Os will run up the livearranger without rename it to livestyler:
/Presets/LiveArranger/LiveArranger.exe

Also included another 2 sounbank.lscp script, now we can run up a total of 6 differents LSCP sounbank
Later I wil upload all again

Thanks Dom I will check that...Wow 6 different banks, that will be a super feature...

As for the other update, will I need to rename my LiveStyler.exe back to Live Arranger.exe? Or will the update to that automatically?

I am writing up a step by step tutorial on the whole Live Arranger installation and activation process. So it will be ready soon.

Dennis

#310828 - 05/21/10 12:49 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Oh and can you tell mw why the Live Arranger ALWAYS defaults to running on desktop one, even when I start it on any other desktop?

Example I select desktop 5, press the styles button, and it laods up, but the screen swings back to desktop one and laods it there.

Thanks

Dennis

#310829 - 05/21/10 12:58 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Yes the Live Arranger is still connected to LinuxSampler out Port 1.

Still no audio..

Hmmm... It is now working but I have to press a variation button to get it sounding(it was always running, just no sound)....it did not do this when using the start tab.

Oh well, just a temp glitch. Call it solved for now

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-21-2010).]

#310830 - 05/21/10 01:02 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Oh and can you tell mw why the Live Arranger ALWAYS defaults to running on desktop one, even when I start it on any other desktop?

Example I select desktop 5, press the styles button, and it laods up, but the screen swings back to desktop one and laods it there.

Thanks

Dennis

Thats probably because the startup script forcess the program to run on Desk-top1

http://keyszone.boards.net

#310831 - 05/21/10 01:20 PM Re: Two Issues with 4.2
miden Offline

Yes, possibly..but as far as I can remember it is supposed to default to desktop 3.

I mean, I can move all the windows over to another desktop (drag and drop) but I really would rather not do that each time I start it up

Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online