SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310667 - 05/12/10 11:39 AM Upgrading OS: saving home folder
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Guys when you upgrade the OS (something I see you do often), how do you save your home folder? Since I have more Ram memory in my old CPU I want to try the 3.3 OS. I have many MP3, VST and Giga installed and, just for trying this OS, I don't want to do all the job of configurating my MS again still considering the posibility of downgrading again in the case I doesn't work properly as it happened before. I don't have an external hard drive neither a Dvd writer in my MS but I can acces the MS from my PC.
Thank you.
Victor

PS I can't afford upgrading the hardware for the 4.2 OS yet.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 05-12-2010).]

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#310668 - 05/12/10 01:01 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
miden Offline

Loc: The World
When you run the upgrade, choose the option :

"KEEP DATA" and not "Format Disk"

Dennis

#310669 - 05/12/10 01:27 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
vagro Offline

Thanks Miden. But I think it is safer to save the Home folder too. Did you try to access the MS from your PC? I can only go to the MS Share folder which is empty. I'd like to share specific folders like in Windows instead of copying everything to the Share Folder. Do you think that's posible?
Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#310670 - 05/12/10 03:08 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
miden Offline

I think thats the point of the keep data option, Vagro

But I can always be wrong, maybe Dom can confirm this for us.

Dennis

#310671 - 05/12/10 03:39 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vagro:
Guys when you upgrade the OS (something I see you do often), how do you save your home folder? Since I have more Ram memory in my old CPU I want to try the 3.3 OS. I have many MP3, VST and Giga installed and, just for trying this OS, I don't want to do all the job of configurating my MS again still considering the posibility of downgrading again in the case I doesn't work properly as it happened before. I don't have an external hard drive neither a Dvd writer in my MS but I can acces the MS from my PC.
Thank you.
Victor

PS I can't afford upgrading the hardware for the 4.2 OS yet.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 05-12-2010).]

save your Gigalibrary-video library-audio wave library-midi-midi songs libray-mp3 library-VST libray-Presets folder and you .wine folder(this is a hiden folder, and the only hiden folder you need to save)

you have O.S 2.8 it is debian so, if you like to upgrade to O.S 3.3 it kubuntu so you most format your harddisk. but with O.S 3.3 you have no MULTIPLE DISPLAY OUTS remember this. when you are finished with format and installation copy again your maps from your pc to MS but do not use the old presets folder, you need that only for down grade. for copy your .wine folder you most on your home folder menu select show hiden folders and then copy .wine folder from your PC to MS.

So everything inside your home folder to your PC, but h from iden folders only .wine folder.

#310672 - 05/12/10 04:13 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
miden Offline

Thanks for the clarification Vagro...I never noticed too much missing when I used Keep Data.

But I used mostly VST's and they were all still installed.

Good to have the definitive answer

And its a process I will now use myself.

Cheers
Dennis

#310673 - 05/12/10 04:29 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Thanks for the clarification Vagro...I never noticed too much missing when I used Keep Data.

But I used mostly VST's and they were all still installed.

Good to have the definitive answer

And its a process I will now use myself.

Cheers
Dennis

you can keep data miden, but vagro has O.S 2.8 that is debian based. O.S 3.3 is Kubuntu based. there for he most format.

#310674 - 05/12/10 04:32 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
miden Offline

Cool, but I still like your process of saving that info..Makes sense to me

Dennis

Any good idea is worth using

#310675 - 05/12/10 06:02 PM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
vagro Offline

Thank you AFG and Miden. One of this days I'll try this and may be I will have more questions.

AFG: I know about the .Wine hidden folder because I went through the installation process twice already.
When you say the OS 3.3 has no multiple displays out do you mean I won't be able to use multiple external LCD monitors but will I keep working the 4 buttons named "12 LCD display" in the MS which allow me to change the screens?

#310676 - 05/13/10 04:07 AM Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder
AFG Music Offline

answer:

yse, you keep your 12 lcd desktop function with the 4 keys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online