Upgrading OS: saving home folder

Posted by: vagro

Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 11:39 AM

Guys when you upgrade the OS (something I see you do often), how do you save your home folder? Since I have more Ram memory in my old CPU I want to try the 3.3 OS. I have many MP3, VST and Giga installed and, just for trying this OS, I don't want to do all the job of configurating my MS again still considering the posibility of downgrading again in the case I doesn't work properly as it happened before. I don't have an external hard drive neither a Dvd writer in my MS but I can acces the MS from my PC.
Thank you.
Victor

PS I can't afford upgrading the hardware for the 4.2 OS yet.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 05-12-2010).]
Posted by: miden

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 01:01 PM

When you run the upgrade, choose the option :

"KEEP DATA" and not "Format Disk"

Dennis

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 01:27 PM

Thanks Miden. But I think it is safer to save the Home folder too. Did you try to access the MS from your PC? I can only go to the MS Share folder which is empty. I'd like to share specific folders like in Windows instead of copying everything to the Share Folder. Do you think that's posible?
Victor

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 03:08 PM

I think thats the point of the keep data option, Vagro

But I can always be wrong, maybe Dom can confirm this for us.

Dennis
Posted by: AFG Music

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vagro:
Guys when you upgrade the OS (something I see you do often), how do you save your home folder? Since I have more Ram memory in my old CPU I want to try the 3.3 OS. I have many MP3, VST and Giga installed and, just for trying this OS, I don't want to do all the job of configurating my MS again still considering the posibility of downgrading again in the case I doesn't work properly as it happened before. I don't have an external hard drive neither a Dvd writer in my MS but I can acces the MS from my PC.
Thank you.
Victor

PS I can't afford upgrading the hardware for the 4.2 OS yet.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 05-12-2010).]

save your Gigalibrary-video library-audio wave library-midi-midi songs libray-mp3 library-VST libray-Presets folder and you .wine folder(this is a hiden folder, and the only hiden folder you need to save)

you have O.S 2.8 it is debian so, if you like to upgrade to O.S 3.3 it kubuntu so you most format your harddisk. but with O.S 3.3 you have no MULTIPLE DISPLAY OUTS remember this. when you are finished with format and installation copy again your maps from your pc to MS but do not use the old presets folder, you need that only for down grade. for copy your .wine folder you most on your home folder menu select show hiden folders and then copy .wine folder from your PC to MS.

So everything inside your home folder to your PC, but h from iden folders only .wine folder.

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 04:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification Vagro...I never noticed too much missing when I used Keep Data.

But I used mostly VST's and they were all still installed.

Good to have the definitive answer

And its a process I will now use myself.

Cheers
Dennis

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Thanks for the clarification Vagro...I never noticed too much missing when I used Keep Data.

But I used mostly VST's and they were all still installed.

Good to have the definitive answer

And its a process I will now use myself.

Cheers
Dennis

you can keep data miden, but vagro has O.S 2.8 that is debian based. O.S 3.3 is Kubuntu based. there for he most format.

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 04:32 PM

Cool, but I still like your process of saving that info..Makes sense to me

Dennis

Any good idea is worth using

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/12/10 06:02 PM

Thank you AFG and Miden. One of this days I'll try this and may be I will have more questions.

AFG: I know about the .Wine hidden folder because I went through the installation process twice already.
When you say the OS 3.3 has no multiple displays out do you mean I won't be able to use multiple external LCD monitors but will I keep working the 4 buttons named "12 LCD display" in the MS which allow me to change the screens?

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 04:07 AM

answer:

yse, you keep your 12 lcd desktop function with the 4 keys.

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 05:03 AM

Thanks AFG. I will try to upgrade when I know I have the whole afternoon free and the family out. What if I loose my present set up! I'm scared

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 05:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks AFG. I will try to upgrade when I know I have the whole afternoon free and the family out. What if I loose my present set up! I'm scared

if you scared, you can better buy a internal disk Sata or IDE depending on your motherboard.

so, then do not format your old harddrive, and use the new one. if you do not like the O.S 3.3 simple conecct again your old hardrive and you have your old O.S back.

for all security you can also save everything like i said on your PC.

better than this is not possible if you want to switch.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 07:20 AM

I use Winscape to transfer files from and to my MS and PC...using my inthernet connection to my router...

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 09:48 AM

Fran tell me more about Winscape. I also use my router to transfer files from/to the MS and the PC and I can also play videos and Mp3 straight from the PC, but I can't access all the MS's folders only the Share Folder where I must copy those files I want to share. I'd like to be able to select the folders I want to share in the Ms just as I do in Windows. Is that posible? Otherwise I'll have to copy the MS Home Folder (many GB) into the Share folder first.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 01:00 PM

Yes your MS will show as another drive..
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
Posted by: LIONSTRACS

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 01:24 PM

yes, correct
you can use easy the winscp.
Connect your MS on the network and then ping for find the IP addres get from your router under DHCP, like: 192.168.1.105 ( not sure that wil be the 105, depend on your router)
the run the winscp:
Host name: 192.168.1.105
port number: 22( is on default)
Username: root
Password: mx76
Press login and you will see the whole MS hard disk.
Now you can start to share/copy/delete files like a normally windows PC.

IF you have one open forward port on your router, you can give also your router IP addres: http://www.whatismyip.com/
open it and wil display your home IP ISP adress.
give this IP to another friend/Ms user and can also login direct on your MS too.
I use this system for fix the files from other MS custumers.

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
yes, correcthttp://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=Lionstracs+Forum&number=44&topic=000041.cgi&TopicSubject=Upgrading+OS:+saving+home+folder&replyto=15
you can use easy the winscp.
Connect your MS on the network and then ping for find the IP addres get from your router under DHCP, like: 192.168.1.105 ( not sure that wil be the 105, depend on your router)
the run the winscp:
Host name: 192.168.1.105
port number: 22( is on default)
Username: root
Password: mx76
Press login and you will see the whole MS hard disk.
Now you can start to share/copy/delete files like a normally windows PC.

IF you have one open forward port on your router, you can give also your router IP addres: http://www.whatismyip.com/
open it and wil display your home IP ISP adress.
give this IP to another friend/Ms user and can also login direct on your MS too.
I use this system for fix the files from other MS custumers.

so, this is great, i did not know this that you can from italy correct one MS files.
Posted by: LIONSTRACS

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AFG Music:
so, this is great, i did not know this that you can from italy correct one MS files.

Is 7 years that I work in this way and by SSH direct from Konqueror
All my developer work at home ( germany, Portugal, Argentina, Lettonia, UK and Italy) they login on my own MS for develope the OS, compile and me here to make the test if all is working.
We are also connected in skype/Yahoo for the realtime messages.
Under this way I can choose the best linux developer without have this guy here in my office..

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
Is 7 years that I work in this way and by SSH direct from Konqueror
All my developer work at home ( germany, Portugal, Argentina, Lettonia, UK and Italy) they login on my own MS for develope the OS, compile and me here to make the test if all is working.
We are also connected in skype/Yahoo for the realtime messages.
Under this way I can choose the best linux developer without have this guy here in my office..

cool, well conceived

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/13/10 03:03 PM

This is great. Thank you Miden, Fran, AFG and Dom.
Victor.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 05-13-2010).]

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/16/10 08:25 AM

Hi! I did what AFG recommended: I used another HD and I upgraded to OS 3.2. The procedure turned out fine except for finding that everything works too slow so it's not worth it. I 'll definetively have to upgrade the motherboard. Actually I did not do it long before mainly because I couldn't find the Asrock K10n78-1394 Motherboard in my country. There was an Asus compatible but it was not for sure it'd work so I waited. Now I found an AsRock K10n78 alone or K10n78M in the official Argentina's Asrock web page and I think I could get one. So, is there any other difference in those to the one used in the MS which is the K10n78-1394 apart from the 2xIEEE1394 ports? What do you think, could I use one of them?
Thanks again

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/16/10 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hi! I did what AFG recommended: I used another HD and I upgraded to OS 3.2. The procedure turned out fine except for finding that everything works too slow so it's not worth it. I 'll definetively have to upgrade the motherboard. Actually I did not do it long before mainly because I couldn't find the Asrock K10n78-1394 Motherboard in my country. There was an Asus compatible but it was not for sure it'd work so I waited. Now I found an AsRock K10n78 alone or K10n78M in the official Argentina's Asrock web page and I think I could get one. So, is there any other difference in those to the one used in the MS which is the K10n78-1394 apart from the 2xIEEE1394 ports? What do you think, could I use one of them?
Thanks again

AsRock K10n78 is now used by Domenico to, so you can use this mainboard to. this mainboard is better then K10n78m becouse K10n78m is based on NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8100 graphics chipset and K10n78 based on NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8200 chipset.

so, K10n78-1394 and K10n78 are based on the same NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8200 chipset.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 05-16-2010).]

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/16/10 02:53 PM

Quote:
AsRock K10n78 is now used by Domenico to, so you can use this mainboard to. this mainboard is better then K10n78m becouse K10n78m is based on NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8100 graphics chipset and K10n78 based on NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8200 chipset.

Thank you
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Upgrading OS: saving home folder - 05/17/10 07:52 AM

Quote:

Dom...

just makes me wonder, how do you test hardware compatibillity with all the different systems out there?

Sometimes certain things just don't work as expected on certain hardware combinations.. Isn't it hard to test for all those combinations?