SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 13 of 27 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27 >
Topic Options
#310209 - 03/22/10 11:28 AM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
James, this is a message from my friend Paul...If you email him ,he has a Korg question..

James,
Fran Carango advised me to contact you regarding a Korg product from the past. He stated that you could possibly shed some light on the subject.
I have a Pa1x keyboard 76 keys. I also have a Korg O1W module. I am trying to make a backup of the combinations and programs from the O1W. I need to replace the battery and I know I will lose all the data once the battery is pulled. Can you suggest the best thing to do???
In the past I had a bad experience with someone who claimed he knew what to do regarding saving the data. It of course didn't work. When the battery was pulled I lost all my set-ups and it took weeks to reprogram everything back. I don't want to go through that again no matter what.. Please let me know if you can help. My email address is: paulkasper@verizon.net
Thanks. Paul Kasper

#310210 - 03/22/10 11:31 AM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Domenico.

Quote:
Do you have also select with the F1= ENGINE the desidered sounds engine+enter first?

Yes, but ...... I'm just after noticing something now that you said that. You have a screen shot in the manual that's slightly different from the keyboard. On the keyboard the giga engine names are abbreviated but in the manual they are not and they make a world of sense to me there.

I think my problem is I'm using the wrong engine altogether and the entire problem is down to routing. I didn't even know the different engines were for routing....lol...

Ok... running off to check now

Regards
James

#310211 - 03/22/10 11:36 AM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Hi Fran.
Did that already on the 17th.

Here's a copy of the email......

Hi Paul.
Sure no problem.

Sadly your KORG PA1X does not have a Midi Data Filer function from what I can tell. Seems KORG only include that feature on their workstations.

So basically you need this little program http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm

It's called Midiox and it allows you to midi data dump your 01W into the PC. So you need to be able to connect by midi to your PC to do all this.

On your 01W press the GLOBAL button and go to Page 8. It's called the Data Dump page. There you will see an option to midi data dump your 01W. Set this to ALL but don't dump the data just yet. It's important that you have navigated to the page and are ready to dump the data before you setup the midiox app to receive the signal. Otherwise it will pick up your button pressing and navigating on the 01W as SysEX data.

Anyway so your 01W is ready, now you launch Midiox.
Go to View and then to SysEx. A window will pop up at this point and you can select SysEx from this window followed by Receive Manual Dump.

Once you do that, get your 01W to send the midi dump. Once complete, save your dump so you can send it back to your 01W after you change the battery.

Actually, I would recommend doing a test before you change the battery by sending the file back to the 01W just to verify that it accepts it and all is good.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
James

#310212 - 03/22/10 12:06 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Hi Domenico.

Well I thought that would fix it because I knew I had selected the Giga Main engine while I was listening in on Mix 2 but nope it still does not work. I will send you the preset file.
I've recorded a little video with my iPhone here showing the odd behaviour.

CLICK FOR MOV FILE

Regards
James

#310213 - 03/22/10 12:44 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Domenico.

Well I thought that would fix it because I knew I had selected the Giga Main engine while I was listening in on Mix 2 but nope it still does not work. I will send you the preset file.

CLICK FOR MOV FILE

Regards
James

You might have cought your first bug there James... Maybe Dom can Squash it quickly now with a fire extinguisher...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#310214 - 03/22/10 01:02 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Domenico.

CLICK FOR MOV FILE

Regards
James

you are right....found where is the bug..

[ID1_Layer3]
chorus = 0.000000 ;
transpose = 12.000000 ;
start_note = 0.000000 ;
program = 0.000000 ;
mute = 0.000000 ;
variation = 0.000000 ;
end_note = 54.000000 ;
active = 1.000000 ;
volume = 114.000000 ;
end_volume = 127.000000 ;
patch_file = /home/mediastation/GigaLibrary/Symphony Of Voices/1 - London Choir/CHOIR AHS.gig ;
pan = 0.000000 ;
filter_midi_cc = ;
start_volume = 0.000000 ;
patch_name = CHOIR AHS.gig ;
sound_engine = gigasolo ;
reverb = 127.000000 ;
is_drums = 0.000000 ;

You have selected the GIGASOLO engine, for loading on combi your own sound.
You can see on the preset file the all info on the layer.
program 0.0000 is the program change
variation 0.0000 is the program change variation
for that when you select the combi patch again, will send first this prg+var 0 that is a piano sound.

We have upgrade the new Linuxsampler and for sure the developer forget to enalbe again the flag: If gigasolo ignore the program change/variation.
For that when then you press SAVE again, will sent again the giga sound link and then play again the all layers sounds.
With the al othgers engine that use rge Prg+Var is working fine.
I ask now my developer now to insert again the flag on the new sampler and then I upload the debian update file.
Tested right now the sampler 1.0 and gigasolo work, is only on this new 1.0svn3 that not work. http://www.linuxsampler.org/cvshistory.php?subproject=linuxsampler
we fix it asap.

#310215 - 03/22/10 01:04 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
James, I have ALWAYS acknowledged the MS's capability to play first call VSTi's and GIGA libraries. My criticism of the MS was never based on its' ability to make great sounds, but on its' ability (or rather, the lack of it in its' users) to integrate all those different sounds into one gestalt that rivaled the balance and ease of use of a traditional TOTL closed arranger. Please don't misquote me...

Most of what we HAVE heard from user demos on the MS has been them connecting to the included GM/GS GIGA library, using the included styles. It certainly hasn't blown anyone away yet, me included. I am still primarily waiting for when you decide to tackle the arranger engine and add-ons, and try to achieve better than TOTL closed accompaniment (we can take it for a given that lead RH sounds are going to be a light year ahead of closed keyboards) from this keyboard.

I have said, almost from the beginning, that we were discussing a high level VSTi WS on an ARRANGER forum, and have never dissed its' abilities as a well integrated virtual studio. But the degree of integration to achieve TOTL closed arranger balance and quality of MUSICAL integration, and the level of expertize AND effort to do that when it isn't included OOTB is what I, and I believe a large number of members, am interested in. Although the VSTi and GIGA integration is well beyond what I can do in the studio with computers, I am still able to deliver what I want to do with what I have. But it still seems that even YOU, with your very advanced knowledge of these things can easily be confused by little 'gotchas' and easily misunderstood aspects of operation. And if YOU can get confused, what do you think 99% of those here will be?

I understand that many here are boggled by the basic VSTi and sampler quality of sounds, but the TRUE test of this thing for many of us will come when you get around to SERIOUSLY tackling the arranger engine and integration...

#310216 - 03/22/10 04:08 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Thanks Domenico.
That makes perfect sense. When that's fix it will be really great. The COMBI mode is very nice to use, and the layout is so easy to understand.

Regards
James

#310217 - 03/22/10 05:16 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.

Quote:
James, I have ALWAYS acknowledged the MS's capability to play first call VSTi's and GIGA libraries. My criticism of the MS was never based on its' ability to make great sounds, but on its' ability (or rather, the lack of it in its' users) to integrate all those different sounds into one gestalt that rivaled the balance and ease of use of a traditional TOTL closed arranger. Please don't misquote me...

I don't feel I've misquoted you, but hey, it's not important. I'd rather push on than spend time arguing over something that at the end of the day doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Most of what we HAVE heard from user demos on the MS has been them connecting to the included GM/GS GIGA library, using the included styles. It certainly hasn't blown anyone away yet, me included. I am still primarily waiting for when you decide to tackle the arranger engine and add-ons, and try to achieve better than TOTL closed accompaniment (we can take it for a given that lead RH sounds are going to be a light year ahead of closed keyboards) from this keyboard.

I'm going gigging with this keyboard so there are 3 functions I wanted to test in full first before I touched the arranger which were Giga Sounds, COMBI mode and the Media Player. To be honest though I'm happy to skip a head at this point because I know all 3 systems work and that one bug I found in COMBI mode Domenico already knows the cause, so it's not a concern. He's guys will be on it, and I have a workaround that will tie me over for a little while as I practice my songs.

So... I'll just record a video on the Arranger mode. This one will be basic, just a quick intro, selecting a style that was untouched and getting the balances right. A mode detailed one will come after that.

It's uploading right now, so I'll post a link in a few minutes..

Quote:
I have said, almost from the beginning, that we were discussing a high level VSTi WS on an ARRANGER forum, and have never dissed its' abilities as a well integrated virtual studio. But the degree of integration to achieve TOTL closed arranger balance and quality of MUSICAL integration, and the level of expertize AND effort to do that when it isn't included OOTB is what I, and I believe a large number of members, am interested in. Although the VSTi and GIGA integration is well beyond what I can do in the studio with computers, I am still able to deliver what I want to do with what I have. But it still seems that even YOU, with your very advanced knowledge of these things can easily be confused by little 'gotchas' and easily misunderstood aspects of operation. And if YOU can get confused, what do you think 99% of those here will be?

As with any new technology there is a learning curve but to just not even try understand it is a dangerous thing. That's why we all know people who have problems even operating something as simple as a mobile phone.

Regards
James.

#310218 - 03/22/10 05:17 PM Re: Lionstracs Mediastation arrived today.
Irishacts Offline

Hi all.
Time for another video.

04 – Arranger Intro
This is a very basic introduction to the arranger mode. A Ketron style is loaded and then optimised to sound good on the Mediastation. A short performance is then played. All keyboards are general midi compatible so to a point all styles loaded will automatically map to the GM Giga library within the Mediastation so in this case all I need to worry about was the balance.
Click to Download – 366MB

In the next arranger video I'll show how to optimise a Styles that requires the sounds to be changed. It's a very quick process.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 03-22-2010).]

Page 13 of 27 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online