SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309889 - 04/19/07 05:12 AM Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

No. I am still around and waiting for the last of my updates, namely, Garritan's GM and other sound libraries, e.g., Garritan's GPOA, etc.

Once that is done I will refer to my new software arranger system as the flr2007. This has been a slow process due to Native Instruments' updates of the required sample players. Nonetheless, my system still sounds excellent and surpasses any hardware based arranger system out there!!! As you know I have been at this for years and have not regretted the journey one bit. It had its challenges in the early days but it was fun.

#309890 - 04/21/07 02:05 AM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Frank
Nice to know what your situation is. There seems to be a lull in the software forum.

I just got my Controller back from the factory after sending it in for repair. Consequently, I haven't been able to do anything on that end.

Eventhough I use Kontakt2 and Collossus, and B4'2 instruments as separate voices for solo with my arranger,I too am waiting for the industry to catch up on multi-timbral applications for styles, and sequences.

I still can't get decent sounding modulation from any of my great samples. Kontakt2 has the tools to do it, but to get delayed vibrato eg,that is realistic,is beyond me. Since I don't know how to write instructions into a sequence,I am pretty much dead in the water with orchestral samples.

It is a shame the money i've put into Collossus, and can't find a use for it.

Bernie

#309891 - 04/21/07 08:10 AM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie
Not quite sure what you are getting at, but if I understand correctly then the following should help. (Make sure you have DFD (Disc streaming activated))
If you load Colossus into Kontakt 2 (Depending on Ram and CPU) you can play up to 16 different sounds simultaneously per Midi connection/instance. (Load 1 sound per channel. (If you use the supplied Kompakt Player you will need to load 2 instances of Colossus, as the player is limited to 8 sounds))
Also if you want to change voices while playing, just make sure you have them pre-loaded on the required channels, that way they are available immediately without any loading time. (Again the amount you can load depends on Ram, CPU and Hard Disk)
As to the vibrato, just assign the effects to the sliders/knobs on your controller and adjust them in real time until you are happy, then save it as a user voice in Kontakt 2.
Hope this helps

Bill

#309892 - 04/21/07 11:28 AM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hi Frank..anything hot coming out..that will be in the must have category...

Hey Bernie , I have a birthday in June..Collossus would make a nice birthday present...

#309893 - 04/21/07 12:20 PM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
Bernie9 Offline

Bill
Thanks for the reply. I have no problem loading instances on Receptor. I have 2GB of RAM,although I don't understand why you have to stream it if it is loaded into RAM. Also I can configure programs and take a "snapshot",then switch snapshots.

On vibrato,I had been trying to save it with delayed vibrato because my controller wouldn't communicate. Come to find out,the fault was in the controller. I just got it back, and will get to work on doing what you suggest. I can see why a CC manipulation is the way to go.

I guess I was starting to get frustrated,but refreshed now.

Fran
As much as I am willing to help fellow musicians, I am afraid you will have to settle for a congratulations,or condolences, depending on how you look at it.

Bernie

#309894 - 04/21/07 06:32 PM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....

Fran, there is nothing terribly exciting coming out that I am aware of. Kontakt is still one of the best sample player. Many of the sound developers are starting to come out with there own players and hence do not have to wait for NI to update the players associated with their sound libraries, e.g., East West is coming out with there sample player called "Play". There may be some updates coming soon from Garritan. Garritan strikes a good balance between good quality sounds with the size of the instruments.

I plan on waiting a year or so before I jump into Vista...let the drivers happen and settle down.

In general, I am still very satisfied with my software based system....its reliable and sounds very good indeed.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-21-2007).]

#309895 - 04/21/07 07:02 PM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....

Bernie, one can't be sure why this forum is so quiet lately, but my guess is that Rikki has abandoned us!!! Why? She's got way to many resources and is spending it all on hardware instead of software and hence no time for us ordinary people....oh well!!! I can only guess that even her loved ones probably don't care how she spends her money....when you got a lot and you spend a little you still got a lot. The logic is overwhelming!!!

#309896 - 04/22/07 01:35 AM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
Bernie9 Offline

I have to admit that it is easier for a novice to continue with hardware if they can be satisfied with mediocrity, but I have made a financial commitment to software creation.

It is far easier for me to use my arranger and Ketron SD2 module. I think my ignorance of controller keyboards is a big factor. If I could simply learn to get the desired modulation to a sample, I would be on my way.

#309897 - 04/22/07 02:36 PM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
no, I'm still around. No new toys since my sd2/psr1500 from last year.

Been fiddling round with stylemaking programs. Finally worked out why some of my psr user styles created in omb(Intro/Endings basically) work ok in OMB, but don't play back correctly in my PSR.
Appears I'll have to do my editing in another program.

Still got my soundfonts/sd2 for OMB & BIAB. Other than that , nothing new.

Great to hear from you again Frank.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki has abandoned us!!! Why? She's got way to many resources and is spending it all on hardware instead of software

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-22-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309898 - 04/22/07 06:29 PM Re: Fallen Off The Face Of The Earth.....

Bernie, to get various kinds of desired modulation on my system, I usually program Kontakt to accept aftertouch from my controller keyboard. It works as designed...very well a that. You can also program Kontakt to provide modulation, e.g., vibrato, on a timed bases, i.e., vibrato starts after xy ms after you first hit the key. In addition, you can set the depth of the vibrato.

Finally, I can program Kontakt and the controller keyboard to send modulation information via the joy stick of my Roland A-37 (I would prefer mod wheels).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online