SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#309736 - 07/13/06 08:26 PM Re: Our New Forum
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:

Huh, did you say something ??? I really am so sorry Vquestor. I don't intentionally ignore anyone. You just need to get my attention and sometimes I can miss the occasional posting. Rikki just sent me a direct email and asked me if it was possible. That's pretty much all it takes. I'm a pushover for a request. If you ever email and I don't respond it is usually because my spam filter has eaten it so if that doesn't work it is always worth trying me a second time. This website is only here for all of you to use however you want. I'll always consider a reasonable request and try to answer you one way or the other.

No problem Nigel. I had suggested it in a post a while back, but had not emailed you
directly. I can't remember if it was a separate topic or part of a thread.
(BTW, in the past, I had requested an oriental arranger forum, which you were kind enough to give us.)
Thanks again.

#309737 - 07/13/06 08:38 PM Re: Our New Forum
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Rick,
apart from Styleworks ( as Fran suggested) I'm not aware of any software that will play Roland styles.

BIAB, OMB etc won't play Roland styles.

Your best shot would be to midi up your keyboard to your computer. I'm not sure how long a usb cable can be?? ( there may be a limit to the length) but if both the computer & keyboard are usb, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralfaro:
[B]I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309738 - 07/13/06 10:34 PM Re: Our New Forum
Kevin Woolley Offline

Loc: Pietersburg, South Africa
Hi Rikki & Scott

Thanks for the welcome. I feel at home already!

The UMX-61 keyboard isn't anything special but the feel of the keys is no different to any of the other controller keyboards I've tried - Roland & Korg included. It certainly is a bargain for the money.

Rikki I didn't know about the OMB forum but will investigate. I have tried live styler some while back and at the time bought Alexander Lotov's version - PRS Performer - (which live-styler was based on). Alexander does not seem to have updated his program recently.

It is a great pity that Style Factory is so expensive. You have to remember that $250 in our currency is equivalent to nearly R2000 which is a considerable amount - especially for a program that is not in constant use.

If I could find the Roland style file format then I would have a look at programming some sort of style creation program. It could also have a preview function. Maybe it is something even Jos could look at for OMB.

Cheers

Kevin

#309739 - 07/14/06 05:31 AM Re: Our New Forum
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Everyone !

Just checking in to say I am happy we have a home of our own. KVR forum, and the like, are grear sources of information, but it is like going to a huge church, you don't know anyone.
For those that don't know me, I play out with a Technics KN7000, but knowing that all hardware breaks down, and,or, becomes dated, I have begun the software route. I am using a Muse Receptor, loaded with Colossus, B4 organ, and just received Kontakt2, as well as a myriad of effects and synyths that came with it.

Since I am 65, I am going the sample route. I really can't get into experimental electronic music.

I am trying to learn this new approach, and it will take time, but it is a great adventure.

Thank you, Nigel and all
Bernie

#309740 - 07/14/06 06:19 AM Re: Our New Forum
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bernie
Did you purchase the full version of Kontakt 2 or the upgrade version? (The upgrade version can be added to any soft synth that uses the Kontakt Player, such as Colossus)
If it was the upgrade, did it come with all the standard Kontakt 2 sounds, or just the interface?
You don’t say whether you are using B4 or B4II, however if you are using B4II then you can use the learn function to assign any button of your Midi control keyboard (Assuming it outputs midi codes) to any controls that are visible down the left hand side of the B4. (If you also have assignable sliders then these can also be mapped to the B4II Drawbars for real-time control)
Finally welcome to the forum, as we seem to be getting quite a wide range of uses on here. I.e. People that use controller keyboards and computers, Hardware soft synth controllers and Computer based Arranger Keyboard uses.

Bill

#309741 - 07/14/06 08:07 AM Re: Our New Forum
ralfaro Offline

Loc: Davie, Fl USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
EMC styleworks

Fran, thanks for the suggestion. It does seem like exactly what I was looking for, but the price seems a bit over the top to me. It converts to roughly $253 for the Roland version. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and find a way to get a pc over on that side of the room. I think the distance would really be pushing the limits for using a usb cable. Probably looking at 30 Ft. or so going around the perimeter of the room over to the keyboards. For the money they want for Style
Works, I could probably have my son put together a small footprint pc which actually might not be such a bad idea. Thanks again for the info.

#309742 - 07/14/06 09:03 AM Re: Our New Forum
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Follow this link to find out about USB cable lengths.
Hope this helps.

Bill
http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/

#309743 - 07/14/06 09:11 AM Re: Our New Forum
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Rikki:

I owe you a special thanks for talking this up with Nigel at my suggestion and and taking on a mod job to boot. Thanks much.

It's great to see all the positive reactions here. I am not surprised.

For those who feel they don't know everyone here, my expanded profile:

Male (handsome and dashing), 68 yrs, semi-retired from international property development work. Long-time resident of California, near San Francisco.

5 or 6 Yamaha arranger keyboards over last decade, with current Yamaha 9000 at home. Tweaked considerably. Yamaha acoustic as well. Not playing out (not since my R&B band in high school).

Planning to try to move almost 100% to digital music, both playing and composing. Just beginning. Fairly deep personal computer hardware and software knowledge (PC only).

#309744 - 07/14/06 02:38 PM Re: Our New Forum
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Bill
I got the full version, but a cross grade special because I have Colossus with Kompakt. It is now just Receptorized, and will wait until Tuesday to install.

I have B4II, and very interesting what you said about "learning mode". I have to get a better controller keyboard. The man at Sweetwater sold me a Roland PC-80, which doesn't hace the capability to handle much of that.

Maybe you can coach me on that later.

Bernie

#309745 - 07/14/06 05:46 PM Re: Our New Forum
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Kevin,
Style Factory is also available for individual brands ie Roland, Korg etc not sure whether you're quoting the universal version ?? either way, when converted to some currencies, it's a lot of money.

Did the Roland GW7 convertor work for your keyboard or is it specific to the GW7?
I don't have a Roland keyboard to try it on.
My understanding was, the software could be used to create a "style from a midifile"??

That's what I luv about OMB. It can actually store phrases ( tracks)
& parts (variations, intro's etc)
to create a library ( similar to what Style Factory does) but the phrases have to be in psr .sty format and the styles you create from them, again only in psr .sty format.

If the GW7 midi to style convertor works with your keyboard, you could create the style in OMB,
create a midifile from that OMB style
and convert OMB midifile with GW7 convertor.

I used to use the above procedure to convert psr styles to midifile for my technics.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Woolley:
Hi Rikki & Scott

It is a great pity that Style Factory is so expensive. You have to remember that $250 in our currency is equivalent to nearly R2000 which is a considerable amount - especially for a program that is not in constant use.

If I could find the Roland style file format then I would have a look at programming some sort of style creation program. It could also have a preview function. Maybe it is something even Jos could look at for OMB.

Cheers

Kevin

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online