#309665 - 07/19/06 06:11 AM flr2007
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Given the following updates:

Kontakt 2
Bandstand
forte Ensemble
New or Updated Virtual Instrments

Plus the real possibility of a:
Garritan GM Wavetable for the Kontakt Player.

Garritan Advanced Personal Orchestra

It is starting to look like I am closing in on a new software based arranger system, namely ...... flr2007.

Now if only Fran could get over his G1000 and Rikki could stop buying hardware based solutions ..... I could simply rest in peace....oh well!!!!!!!

#309666 - 07/19/06 06:15 AM Re: flr2007
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No you can't rest in peace yet..We are all still learning..

Frank I need to have more surface control to work on stage right now using soft synths and soft arrangers..The other thing I need to find is a good soft harmonizer[vocals]..How is your system working with your soft vocalizer?

#309667 - 07/19/06 06:28 AM Re: flr2007

Fran, the vocalizer works but it is not as handy to use as a hardware based appoach. I use DecaBuddy and Antares. Antares is the industry standard but it has complex copy protection and a steep learning curve. Both sound good but are not easy to control for live performances. I am used to them.

#309668 - 07/19/06 11:36 PM Re: flr2007
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I am getting curious about the soft arrangers and synth again. I now have a Tyros 2, but still get crazy ideas that a good high speed laptop and OMB or Live Styler will allow me to do the same

My main question at this time is, since you are the soft guru, is how often do you have glitches, things freezing, crashing, stuttering or whatever can happen on a computer based arranger? Is it possible to play one 4 hour gig after another in all settings such as different temperatures, like outside in the 90's like it is here now in Florida, and have it always work or is that a future thing?

Inquiring minds want to know (if I'm wasting my time with soft kb's)

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#309669 - 07/20/06 03:27 AM Re: flr2007
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have my Receptor in my rack at all gigs. It is very dependable, and extremely roadworthy. With B4II,Colossus, and Kontakt2, I am beginning to have some marvelous quality in my instruments. I have not gotten to time based apps yet, as I am still using my KN7000 also.
http://www.museresearch.com/

#309670 - 07/20/06 04:31 AM Re: flr2007
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Scott
All Wersi OAS instruments (Computer systems and software built in to an arranger keyboard) have been played live all over the world for the last 6 years, with no problems.
Also at the Festivals they are left on all day, and played by all sorts of players, with no problems.
Or to put it another way, they are as stable as any hardware arranger, (Even these sometimes crash, and need to be restarted) but without the limitations.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#309671 - 07/20/06 05:13 AM Re: flr2007

Scott, I have gotten one computer based failure since I started out on the software based approach some 5 or more years ago. This one failure was to do with the BIOS....I couldn't get the computer started. I did not know what to do so I called in my Computer Science Graduate relative and in 3 minutes he cleared the BIOS and recovered the original. Everything worked fine....but in this case you need to know what your are doing....I didn't.

In general, I have no failures or crashes. I use my music computer only for music. In addition, I do all my music editing on my General Computer. Plus my music computer is tweaked for optimum music/multi media use.

So the bottomline is that my system is just as realiable and efficient as any arranger or workstation keyboard but it is more effective....it sounds so much better.

However, my system does not have as good a control surface as you would find on hardware based solutions. As I have said many times....I am used to my system and can switch instruments, styles, vocal harmonizers, etc. just as quickly as those with arranger keyboards. If you use a controller keyboard where you can save 128 or so total midi setups and utilize host software with scene changes then you should beable to run things pretty efficiently. I guess I could improve things by replacing my existing screen with a touch screen.

If you like the software approach but still are not convinced the control surface is for you then you may need to look at other alternatives, e.g., Wersi, Liontracs, Open Labs and so on. These alternatives tend to be more expensive.

It is also important where you play. If you play in a studio or say in high end book stores, night clubs, etc. my system will give you no problems in terms of the control surface. It may not be quit as good for dances where you need to keep the dance floor full....but even here I can do it...I am used to it.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 07-20-2006).]

#309672 - 07/22/06 06:26 PM Re: flr2007
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
As I play more live I look to simplify things Scott. I'm used to my AJM2006 system as well, but I agree with Frank that it might be easier if I did it in a hardware board like Open Labs as my control surface as opposed to going from my controller to the laptop.

I will say that my sounds, particularly the lead voices, are substantially better to me than what I get from my PA80, and better than my Motif ES to the point that it's worthwhile to use some of them during live play. But.... I miss having some of the adjustments in front of me that I have right there on my PA80. I think now I understand why Frank prefers Forte. If I can set my controller up properly using it, I'll have most of those adjustments right there in front of me again.

AJ

#309673 - 07/27/06 08:00 PM Re: flr2007
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Awe Frank,
I've only got one keyboard nowadays, instead of my usual collection of up to 3 or 4.

No rest for the wicked, we still need your help. haa haa

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Now if only Fran could get over his G1000 and Rikki could stop buying hardware based solutions ..... I could simply rest in peace....oh well!!!!!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online