SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309515 - 02/04/07 12:56 PM Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
wondering if anyone has actually created styles for BIAB, or done much in the way of editing?

I looked into it briefly a few years back, but at that stage the program was no where near as sophisticated as it is now, sounded no where near as good either.

Had a brief play around with it on the weekend.

I wanted a piano arpeggio backing to match a piece of Enya sheet music I have.
I couldn't find a psr style to match so I thought I'd check out the BIAB styles.
Naturally there wasn't an exact match either, so I decided to see how difficult it would be to alter a BIAB piano style. Really only took a matter of minutes once I figured out how some of the settings worked.

I was always under the impression that only BIAB picked it's patterns randomly, which wouldn't have suited in this instance.
Discovered that patterns can have set phrases for different chord types & that you can actually have controll over what patterns will be used in a song.

Be interesting to hear how an arranger style would sound in biab.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309516 - 02/04/07 04:40 PM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi rikki,
i can't imagine it would sound all that bad..they are after all, just little midi seqences,BIAB and arrangers...might require some tweaking of sounds and levels...bu imo, it would work okay...although i reckon OMB would be a simpler workflow perhaps, even though i am having issues with it, as you already know...but i have those probs sorted out, by just setting up various multis on my s90es using the 16 channels available and then just disabling bank and program change messages, it's working well, and i've got to say the arranger patterns uisng the motif ES sounds are just superb, evey bit as good as the T2, and in some instances better....
cheers
dennis

#309517 - 02/05/07 12:52 PM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
glad to hear you've discovered a good work around with your OMB setup. It does have the occasional quirk. It's still my favourite realtime arranger software.

Basically I've just been delving a bit further into BIAB styles. I've literally got 100's of them with the megapak version. A lot of them I would probably never use, but it's given me some genres of music that
are not readily available on arrangers.ie I luv movie soundtrack type music, new age & newage piano & classical & piano argeggio's.
There's a number of these types of styles in BIAB. Just be great to be able to expand on them a bit further.

Unfortunately it hasn't got the realtime functions of OMB, butI can still play along I split one of my keyboards in 2 and play a left hand pad , right hand melody.

And as Cajun mentioned, in another post, it's a great way of getting in some practice.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309518 - 02/05/07 03:00 PM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
miden Offline

hi rikki,
yes all my previous experiences with BIAB, and that goes back to version 2, have been a lot of fun...i have never considered using it live, but perhaps with OMB and BIAB together with midis would make a brilliant combination....BTW i'm with you on the jammer live issue, if only they would update it to a version 2 it would just about blow anything else away....
cheers
dennis

#309519 - 02/06/07 12:27 AM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
if your BIAB is that old, download one of the demo's ( I think it may be version 2006)
You won't have access to the 100's of styles that you get in a megapak, or the new " real drums" (audio loops of live drummers) that work with a number of the styles in vers 2007. Have a listen to some of the demo's on site. The jazz brush & the latin drums sound pretty amazing compared to theoriginal biab drum tracks.

Nowadays BIAB even loads midifiles.
Significance of that didn't hit me till today.
The Melody & Soloist tracks actually each have a 16 track sequencer so midifiles can be edited to a certain degree..
Ok the Intro's have always been pretty poor in BIAB.
I saved one of my psr intro's as a midifile & loaded it into BIAB. Did a bit of tweaking & I have a perfectly good intro for a song.
(I created a "blank" pg style to go with the intro.)
At the end of the intro I can import one of the regular BIAB styles & use it for the rest of the song.
Newer versions of BIAB you can have multiple styles in a song.

Anyway if you get a chance check it out.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
hi rikki,
yes all my previous experiences with BIAB, and that goes back to version 2, have been a lot of fun...i have never considered using it live, but perhaps with OMB and BIAB together with midis would make a brilliant combination....BTW i'm with you on the jammer live issue, if only they would update it to a version 2 it would just about blow anything else away....
cheers
dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309520 - 02/06/07 10:05 AM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
miden Offline

hi rikki, no i meant i have all the versions from ver 2 up to ver 11
dennis

#309521 - 02/06/07 12:55 PM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
whoops , got that one wrong haahaa.

Seriously though with the new Real Drums,
(I keep getting my SD1's Live Drums & PG's Real Drums terminology mixed up),
it's made a difference to the overall sound of a BIAB style.

I'm planning on a bit of an experiment later today, ie loading a midifile & see if I can replace the midifile drums with Biab audio drumloops. Be interesting to see if they can stay in sync with varied tempo's the same way as biab styles can.
It's great the way BIAB shows up the chord changes in a midifile.
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
hi rikki, no i meant i have all the versions from ver 2 up to ver 11
dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309522 - 02/06/07 05:38 PM Re: Editing / Creating Band in a Box Styles
miden Offline

yeah, i've heard the real drums are good..it will be an interesting experiment, let us know how it goes, if it works okay i might just have another look at BIAB, although the ES drums are hard to go past though
good luck
cheers
dennis

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online