SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309492 - 09/28/06 06:38 PM Windows XP Lite
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Those wishing to optimize Windows XP may find this interesting: http://www.litepc.com/

#309493 - 09/28/06 11:10 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Frank
If your afraid of computers, then it is great, but contrary to what it says about being able to do things that you cannot normally do with Windows is not strictly correct, the main thing it offers is an easy menu system to do the jobs, rather then having to go into the Windows OS in depth, however there are plenty of Free utilities on the web (Even some from Microsoft) that do the same job.
If you do decide to go down this route, check with the manufactures of your software, to see what can and cannot be turned off. (Some things seemingly unconnected with the software have to be left running)
If your computer is for music, (I assume that’s why you are a Synth Zone Member) then just follow the instructions on the web sites, that are dedicated to optimizing Windows for use with music software.
Hope this helps

Bill

#309494 - 09/28/06 11:32 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have Windows XP TINY (106 MB) installed on a second partition for the purpose of running my Microsoft Flight 2004 which is the only program installed.
Due to none of the normal XP clutter being installed...Flight runs very slick and I can set a higher frame rate and the graphics can be notched up much higher.
This would be ideal also for Music .

#309495 - 10/07/06 11:21 AM Re: Windows XP Lite
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Abacus, do you have any links to places regarding tweaking windows for music?

Doc-Z

#309496 - 10/07/06 01:44 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
abacus Offline

Hello Doc-Z
Here is a site that is quite comprehensive. http://www.musicxp.net/index.php

Bill

#309497 - 10/07/06 03:15 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
bit of a dumb question.
Removing items or shutting them off etc etc
( I haven't had a chance to study the websites yet)
Is this done to improve the overall performance of the pc ie help with latency problems ,or help softsynths load more quickly etc etc

in short, why would one do it??

Bit nervous about removing stuff unless there would be a great overall advantage.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309498 - 10/07/06 09:37 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have a few PC related links amongst the links on http://www.synthzone.com/synthhelp.htm

#309499 - 10/07/06 11:41 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
abacus Offline

Hello Rikki
Out of the box a computer operating system is set up to give a good overall performance with all Software and Programs, this is because it is unknown what the computer is to be used for, however the settings are made available to optimise it for a specific task. (Please remember that if it is optimised for 1 task, it will reduce the performance on other tasks)
A good demonstration of the performance difference attained by optimising settings can be easily seen by the difference in performance between the standard general purpose Windows Sound Driver, and the optimised ASIO driver.
Hope this helps

Bill

#309500 - 10/08/06 03:55 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Bill,
I'll delve a bit further into the above link you posted.

Nigel,Thank you for your link as well.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hello Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309501 - 10/08/06 08:45 PM Re: Windows XP Lite
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Bit nervous about removing stuff unless there would be a great overall advantage.

You are very wise to be cautious Rikki. Never make ANY changes to your PC without investigating the advantages and disadvantages first. It's not worth risking crippling your computer system by just trying any changes without first being aware of what the risks and benefits are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online