SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309478 - 08/20/06 04:29 PM Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I just saw that EMU is shipping a 61 key midi controller. It has aftertouch and appears to be pretty compact and light.

What looks interesting to me is it has 16 programmable buttons. Might be very useful for controlling arranger software. I have noticed that midi controller are more geared towards MOTU and the like.
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=532&subcategory=533&product=15164

#309479 - 08/21/06 02:21 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Robert

After making a mistake when buying my first 61 key controller, I scoured the forums and retailers. I bought the Axiom 61. It has a great feel,33 possible controllers,20 user memory slots, with unlimited saved presets in their software program(Enigma). Like the Emu, it has 4 zones and aftertouch.

There are so many features that it would take too long to describe. The forum and company support is great for newbs.

Check it out http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Axiom61/

Bernie

#309480 - 08/21/06 06:21 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
RobertG Offline

Bernie: As I have the Axiom-49 I am familiar with the 61. Same buttons, just more keys. And yes, I do love the feel of it. My thought was, as a keyboard for arranger software, I was wondering if the E-mu was a better fit with its 16 programmable buttons that could be used for switching styles, variations etc. I know the Axiom has as many control surfaces if not more, but they are not grouped as conveniently as the E-mu. The 61-key E-mu is the price of the 49-key Axiom, this may be a factor for some. I have yet to play the E-mu so I can't comment on its feel. I think I tried it and liked the Axiom the best, but I am going to check again to make sure. Final plus on the E-mu side is it does come with some nice LE versions of software so out-of-the-box you get a collection of E-mu Proteus sounds and Steinberg Cubase.

#309481 - 08/21/06 08:48 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Robert, I looked over this board too before taking the Axiom. I did find there was a difference in key response, try before making up your mind. There are few reviews -- here are a handful from one of the vendor sites that I just saw:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/product/reviews/base_pid=706284/rpp=10/

and from KEYBOARD magazine:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=30&storycode=10693

I found the weight of the 61 to be about the same as my Axiom 49, but I might be off a pound by feel. 11 pounds is still light.

I think you have a point about the buttons, but carefully note the reviewer comments about the apparent quality and possible durability of those buttons ...

#309482 - 08/21/06 01:26 PM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
Bernie9 Offline

Sorry for the oversight,Robert. I forgot you had an Axiom.

You might want to take a look at this link to the KVR forum. Dasher the Soundsmith is a gigging musician, and has developed an amazing rig from the Axiom. We have receptors, but it is nothing but a dedicated rack computer. The scenario still applies. He has it souped up to do a dozen things at a moments notice. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146476&sid=1f95ab685f38d901b6e594364fcdf37b

To me, it would come down to whether you plan to use two controllers. I have the Kn7000 on the bottom, and Axiom on top. It works well for me, but I don't know your intended setup. I need more than 49 keys. What is your other board ?

#309483 - 08/21/06 06:39 PM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
RobertG Offline

All: I couldn't help myself so I went to Guitar Center tonight were I bought the Axiom to try out the X-Board 61 which they had in stock. I liked the feel of the Axiom a little better but found the X acceptable. So I swaped the Axiom for the X, took it home, set it up, found that Ab to Eb above middle C was dead , took it back, got another one, plugged it in and the 2nd one worked fine.

The Axiom had nicer fit and finish to it. I liked the shape and feel of the black keys on it more than the X. The Axiom also has a Midi in as well as a midi out so it also acts as a USB-Midi interface for your computer to plug in other midi keyboards. The X does not.

The reason I switched to the X was that I felt the Axiom was better suited if I was using recording software. My main use is Notation Software and potentially live performance. I thought the 16 programmable bank keys on the X would be faster to switch around in arranger software than the Axiom. I read the reviews that Cajun listed. I can see how some thought the X's buttons may not be top-of-the-line but I think they are of OK quality. With the action and control surfaces OK for me, the final selling point for me was the included software:

- Proteus X with a full sound library
- Cubase LE

While not the full-blown versions of the software they are good enough for me to play around with for a long time as most of my time is spent with my T2 and my real piano. So for the same money as the Axiom (Guitar Center charged me $0 to make the swap) I got 61 keys instead of 49 and a bunch of cool software.

#309484 - 08/22/06 01:10 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
Bernie9 Offline

Robert

Who can say it is not better for your use ?
Whatever tool makes our playing easier, or better, is the one to get. Besides, you can't go that far wrong in any case.

Congrats
Bernie

#309485 - 08/22/06 05:16 PM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
I am curious -- Bernie -- Robert; have either one of you seen or played with the Novation Remote LE series (any size)? I have 2 friends who have purchased 49m and 61 key versions and say it is a splendid product.

#309486 - 08/23/06 01:48 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Cajun

Sorry, no specific knowledge of it except it is in the top five,with 9 switches,9 buttons, and a pad.

I don't see it having zone splits, and the mod wheel is spring loaded. If this means it returns to center like my Roland,that means you have to keep your hand on it for modulation. In my case,using it as a Leslie swith,e.g., would not work at all.

#309487 - 08/23/06 08:53 AM Re: Emu 61 key midi controller for arranger software?
RobertG Offline

I have no experience with the Novation either. Not sure what the touchpad is for.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online