SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309469 - 01/14/07 08:36 PM Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I am getting an idea to check into the soft world, but possibly not using OMB or LS. I'm thinking there must be a rhythm machine soft program where you can pick latin, swing beats etc that will sound maybe even better than what's available using OMB or LS and dealing with their particular issues.

In other words I'm considering checking into doing all the parts live except for the drummer. I already have some midi bass pedals. They are an octave. If this goes the way I want maybe I'd want to get an octave and a half or a two octave pedal board.

This along with mainly the sounds of the Rhodes, B3, Vibes, Accordian, Piano, Guitar and Bass. The demos I've just heard on these instruments have just about blown me away.

I'm getting the notion of having 2 or 3 midi controller keyboards and have it set up more like an organ.

So, I assume there is soft Rhythm machine programs. Could you point me in that direction as I still don't have a good enough vocabulary to do a google search on this and related things.

Best
Scott

#309470 - 01/15/07 10:45 AM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Here is a link to the very inexpensive drum kits offering from M-Audio -- which I am using, along with their "Key Rig", to learn how to use all this stuff. I run them through Forte, and in conjunction with BIAB and OMB. Both of which I am trying to master as I move from arranger to software.
Watch video -- it's interesting. There is one MP3 down screen.
http://tinyurl.com/v58ua

#309471 - 01/15/07 03:54 PM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the link. How does it sound live? The thing I've noticed about these gizmos is the drums sound kind of tinny and bright. Can you get a good standard jazz drum kit?

I was thinking of just a drum machine. I didn't even know they had them with bass. Kind of like a workstation I guess. You never know though what might work out in the end.

#309472 - 01/16/07 06:44 AM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
What you are looking for is a drum sequencer, and the best way to find out what’s available is to just type drum sequencer into Google, however be aware that most are designed so as to allow you to make up your own rhythms, rather then supplying ready made patterns.
The project you are considering has a steep learning curve and many pitfalls; therefore I would suggest you start off with OMB, which although very basic will give you a good grounding on how to put together a simple setup.
Multiple keyboards sound good initially, but due to the spacing required can be awkward to play together. (An organ has the keyboards in close proximity thus making them easy to use)
Don’t forget also that Wersi OAS instruments come in all forms, (The Abacus being the most flexible) and all the setup work been done for you, this means that all you will need to do is select what software instruments you wish to install. (Although when you see what the OAS software is capable of on its own, you will most likely find that you will not have to add many software instruments or samples to get what you want) The downside is the initial cost, however as you never need to change the instrument, (You upgrade the software) in the long term it becomes a very cheap option.
Hope this helps

Bill

#309473 - 01/16/07 08:40 AM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
cajun100 Offline

Scott, I have limited experience and ability to rate the quality of these sounds. But the demo at M-Audi should be is indicative of the sound one might get. There are a number of custom possibilities in the drum kits. No recording ability, tho.

My understanding is that you would like to restrict backing to drums. You can DO that in OMB, but only in the context of "styles" -- i.e. you could use a Yamaha-type "style" and mute all but the drums. That's if you want to use Yamaha styles as the basis for your work.

With BIAB, you can vary everything quite a bit more -- have you used it lately? The newest version is pretty impressive, I think.

It would seem to me that a "drum machine" might at some point restrict you somewhat more than software would -- but of course if you are not using computer generation for your voices/backing then a standalone module for drums would seem less troublesome. I looked at some (like the less expensive BOSS units) but I am determined to use smapled voices via the computer, so I am sticking with software solutions for now.

#309474 - 01/16/07 08:43 AM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
cajun100 Offline

I meant to give you this useful link from one of the big retailers. Some good info here on electronic percussion, for those just beginning.
http://tinyurl.com/sqqqa

#309475 - 01/21/07 05:34 PM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Scott,

Try Steinberg's Groove Agent 3. Pros include: 25 variations per 'style', 25 fills per 'style', auto fill function, 1/2 time function, tweakable 'humanize function' (quantization), variations can be selected via midi keyboard, built-in percussionist module which will play in sync with the main drum module etc...

Cons include: Only built-in 'styles' (I think), not a lot of styles in each genre, cost etc...

I am sure at some stage in the future Groove Agent (or similar) will become the heart of my arranger system.

Kind regards,
Mark

#309476 - 01/22/07 11:41 AM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
Vquestor Offline

If you want the highest quality, the issue
is the number of different drumkits you need.
If you can do everything you need with one
GM kit, then use OMB or LS midiyoked to a
quality sampler like Kontakt with NS_kit7, or a rompler like BFD or DKFH VST in a host. I am talking about midi ch. filtering so you would be using specifically, ch.10(and sometimes ch.9,only if ch.9 is using the same kit). You might, of course, have to slightly modify your styles, but not a big task.
That way you don't have to worry about switching kits with styles, which is problematic when going this route.

#309477 - 01/22/07 03:14 PM Re: Rhythm machine soft vs OMB & LS
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the input. I will take some time to check into all of this

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online