SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#309459 - 08/04/06 05:00 AM What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I know Frank Rosenthal uses Midiplayer II.
Any other suggestions?
Can OMB do this?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 08-04-2006).]

#309460 - 08/04/06 05:37 PM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
OMB can do it.
Go to Stylemaker page.
Press "Ctrls" icon ( just above tracks r/h)
Press "dest chan" ( near bottom right)
and you'll see each of the tracks " channel no's. You can edit them there. Most likely you'll find track 9 , set to midi channel anyway..
Do a "Save As" of the style as just in case you're using LS as your arranger. Always keep the original style and do a "save as" as a version 2 or something.
I've always got a backup of all my originals , just in case I mess something up in editing.

Changing drums. You have a couple of options.
Event List Edit
Click "events" icon on the track
Choose Events list or piano roll
Alter any events.

Other option
go to "track" top of page
choose convert
you replace an old note with a new note & you can even alter the velocity plus or minus for that note.

You can do this for a number of notes.
You then press the save "icon".
This saves your conversion table, so that you can use it over & over again on different styles. You can also reload it and do further editing.

After you've saved
you choose "apply" to the track you want to convert ( track 10 or whatever).

You also decide whether you want to use it on only the current track 10 style part ( intro , variation etc), or all track 10's throughout style, in which case you tick " in all parts "

Press apply & do a save.

best wishes
Rikki

Other option may be to edit your soundfont drums. This is the option I'm taking, I'm hoping this may be the easier solution.
I've noticed that the volumes of a lot of the drums don't sound correct ie brushes drowning out bass drums, hihats louder than snares.
I'm hoping editing the soundsource may be easier than editing the all the styles.
I'm just trying to work out the simplest way to edit the font.

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
I know Frank Rosenthal uses Midiplayer II.
Any other suggestions?
Can OMB do this?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 08-04-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309461 - 08/10/06 09:34 AM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks Rikki. Hope I have time to try this out this weekend.
Starkeeper

#309462 - 08/10/06 01:47 PM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
That's interesting...
No one is mentionning Cakewalk?
I used cakewalk for these actions (now sonar)since years...
(I am a cakewalk user since version 2.)

Or am I missing something???

Fred

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 08-10-2006).]

#309463 - 08/11/06 05:34 AM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fred, I think you would need to use more than just Cakewalk to make the changes to a Yamaha style. You would lose the CASM section of the style every time you saved the changes in Cakewalk.

#309464 - 08/11/06 11:51 AM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
freddynl Offline

Ah, thanks Frank, that's what I was missing.
It's about styles and not miditracks...
The title of the topic confused me...

(Ages ago I did make my own styles for my old roland G-800 in cakewalk by the way,
It can be done but is time consuming.)

I think I'll have a closer look at OMB what it can do.

Thks,
Fred

I am in the middle of a descision process to expand on hardware or software, allthough also the Media Station looks promising.

#309465 - 08/12/06 04:47 PM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fred,
OMB works well for editing & creating psr styles.
It even has list & piano roll editing of styles.
You can even do basic editing of midifiles,
in the midifile section of the program.
One section of the program I really like is the Arranger window.
Here you just dropndrag chords & style parts to create instant backing arrangements. ( similar to what you do in BIAB) except your using psr type styles not BIAB styles.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by freddynl:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309466 - 08/14/06 02:13 PM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
freddynl Offline

Hello Rikkie,
I just had a quick view on the OMB site, which looks interesting.
f.i. the style playing using external synth's soundsources (I wonder how many synth's I can connect, by using a midi patchbay?)and at the same time using some softsynths as extra soundsources.
Then OMB uses cakewalk.ins files, which is great as I have an INS for each synth I own..and I don't wanna write new ones..
Chord recognition..
Drag and drop functions (very handy with loops)
Also runs on relative old PC's, which basicly means that the software is written well!
Jos is Dutch makes it easy with technical questions...

I don't have a yammi, but above mentionned utilities are enough to buy the software
Will certainly try out when I am back from a short vacation...(I leave wednesday)

Thanks,
Fred

#309467 - 08/14/06 09:15 PM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fred,
Midi In, I've used my Clavinova as controller & main melody voice.
Midi out I connected my sd1+ which I used for 2 or 3 of the style tracks. I also used some of my soundfonts for the rest of the style tracks.
One problem you can get when mixing hardware synth & software synth is latency, if your computer isn't powerful enough to run softsynths.
Not sure as to the amount of hardware synths you could use thru a patch bay, but each of the omb midi out tracks are assignable, so you could use hardware or software synth.

Just say I actually had 6 soundmodules & patchbay, the only way I can think of doing it would be to assign each of the modules 1 or 2 midi channels & switch the rest of the channels off. Hard part would be deciding which synth plays which channels.

The only dedicated channels are 9 & 10 for drums & 11 for bass. 12 thru 16 you end up with a variety of instruments.

Actually it makes more sense for people who don't own yammies to buy the software. It sort of gives you a defacto psr.
The real benefit to psr owners is the style editing functions in the software.

Enjoy your holiday.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
Hello Rikkie,
I just had a quick view on the OMB site, which looks interesting.
f.i. the style playing using external synth's soundsources (I wonder how many synth's I can connect, by using a midi patchbay?)and at the same time using some softsynths as extra soundsources.

I don't have a yammi, but above mentionned utilities are enough to buy the software
Will certainly try out when I am back from a short vacation...(I leave wednesday)

Thanks,
Fred

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#309468 - 08/15/06 10:48 AM Re: What software would I use to move drum tracks to track 10 and change drum voices?
freddynl Offline

Well basicly the decision form me at the moment is;
Do I built a new PC or do I buy the Mediastation.

Building a PC is a bit cheaper but not much.
f.i. I don't have my VR-760 at home, as I use it on the road which means I need B4 software which is provided free with the Mediastaton.
So I'll have to find out if I can buypass the PC completely with the mediastation.

All the assignable buttons on the mediastation are a temptation

Anyway will think it over when I'am back.
By to all and till september.

Fred

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online